Register free!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

your top pic is exactly what the lawns here look like that I spoke of rather than the nice dark soil, which I would LOVE to see... we have red soil...

Makes me wander... what color are your ant mounds? I have only known red... never thought of them being in different colored soils... funny how you just assume things without realizing it...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingdeeprootsorganicly View Post
i have to disagree with worms not being able to transplant to other area's and still live.
just my observation. i put them in my house plants all the time. they drop casting out the drainage holes at the bottom, once a week i get a table spoon worth some times from each plant.
You know I wish I could remember where I learned that from but anyway you said worms not earthworms which might be why. Worms are different than earthworms.

My ant hills/mounds are generally tan sand or loam sand colored although I have seen red.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
You know I wish I could remember where I learned that from but anyway you said worms not earthworms which might be why. Worms are different than earthworms.

My ant hills/mounds are generally tan sand or loam sand colored although I have seen red.
The worms we're talking about is this context are earthworms. When you say worm, you're including annelids, insects (their immature larva stage), and flatworms (stole this from wiki). Now, I found no other difference in worm vs earthworm than I mentioned above. Now, bring up the red wigglers and other composting worms and you have a different discussion.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes you do its called vermiculture, and those red wigglers can eat like crazy. I have a worm factory and make compost tea. They eat newspaper, cardboard, fruit and vegetable scraps,along with leaves. always add a little dirt or sand to your vermiculture set up because the worms use the sand in their gizzard to help digest their food. After they move from the bottom layer to the next higher one, clean out the worm cast then refeed the bedding with the above mentioned items. Don't ever forget to clean the casting out when your worms finish eating a layer or your worms will die.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Yes you do its called vermiculture, and those red wigglers can eat like crazy. I have a worm factory and make compost tea. They eat newspaper, cardboard, fruit and vegetable scraps,along with leaves. always add a little dirt or sand to your vermiculture set up because the worms use the sand in their gizzard to help digest their food. After they move from the bottom layer to the next higher one, clean out the worm cast then refeed the bedding with the above mentioned items. Don't ever forget to clean the casting out when your worms finish eating a layer or your worms will die.
I have a small home setup in a 10 gallon container. I do throw in some soil when I feed them, but I don't clean out the old casts and the worms seem to be thriving. When the food gets eaten, I give them new food and bedding and like I said, I don't have any issues. Little guys are all over the place and I have a diverse population of young and older worms. The bin is approaching 25lbs. Should I starve them and start a new bin soon? I have a bin sitting in another bin with about 30 holes drilled in the bottom and airholes (about a 100 at least) on the sides of both bins....
Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The thing is they do need to be tended to eventually when you harvest their poop. It is toxic to them. If you get a layered worm factory you will see what I mean. They will continue to climb layer by layer to get to new food and get out of their poop. The bottom layer will be all compost with hardly any worms in sight. The worms will be near the most available food source. The factory makes it really easy to harvest their cast. Just dump the cast and replace the bedding and repeat the standard process. Fun stuff.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in the 'transplantability' of red wigglers into my lawn/shrubs/trees. if these are purchased, and then dumped out in the areas, will they survive?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as long as they stay warm enough
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
I am interested in the 'transplantability' of red wigglers into my lawn/shrubs/trees. if these are purchased, and then dumped out in the areas, will they survive?
No. Red wigglers are not the same as earthworms. They break down organic materials and are not soil dwellers.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
No. Red wigglers are not the same as earthworms. They break down organic materials and are not soil dwellers.

If adult red wigglers wont survive, can I buy eggs somewhere? Or is there a better worm for my needs?

This is the first time I have heard this, and there are well respected members here who sell and advocate worms, so this info really shocks me. Not saying its false, just shocking.