Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They live in the top 3 inches of the soil where most organic materials are found. Want an easy catch, just place a nice size piece of cardboard on the lawn or in a garden at night water it to make it damp then the next morning early remove it and there will be re wigglers under it. Pickem up fast they don't like light.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a way, or even a need to add MORE to the soil. My thoughts are that they will aid in aeration, add compost, and help other beneficials in the soil?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you add any organic matter to your landscape beds they will find it and eat it. I have a nice sized garden and all I do is constantly put leaves and grass clippings in it with mulch and they go right to work. It keeps my garden alive. I till it in and it starts the process. They do aerate soil. They reproduce fast and each egg will produce anywhere from 4-10 new worms. Doesn't take long when you keep them fed. As far as getting more worms, you can but I don't think you need to if you have a few there already. Just keep them fed and they will help your plants thrive.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
If you add any organic matter to your landscape beds they will find it and eat it. I have a nice sized garden and all I do is constantly put leaves and grass clippings in it with mulch and they go right to work. It keeps my garden alive. I till it in and it starts the process. They do aerate soil. They reproduce fast and each egg will produce anywhere from 4-10 new worms. Doesn't take long when you keep them fed. As far as getting more worms, you can but I don't think you need to if you have a few there already. Just keep them fed and they will help your plants thrive.
thanks for the info! Looks like topdressing with compost more often is in order?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
No! An earthworm actually is born from egg and lives in that spot for the rest of its life. It will have anywhere from 6-10 surface holes which it will pop up from and grab debris such as leaves and sticks and bring them down into its burrow to deposit into its compost pile. The compost pile is what it actually eats from after it is broken down by beneficial microbes, sort of like an ant colony if you know anything about them. So if you take an earthworm from its life long home it will not set up a new burrow and eventually die. you can however buy earthworm eggs which of course will work because they will hatch and create their life long home.
well thats the dumbazz statement of the week. what type of worms are we talking about. red worms? lumbrusius? night crawlers???

whats the point after that statement............

deep most worms can travel a great way in a short time....
Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

and no earth worm casts are not toxic to them, thats a myth......

wow this post when way out the door, come on guys hit the wiki first please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there she is!

Whats the truth gal, can they be spread or not?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

red worms yes, earth worms yes, night crawlers yes, as long as theres food for the later...............

some types of burrowing worms store there food and pre compost it in there den, if there is no food for them on the ground then they will die
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL... took too long to get in on this one I guess...

My wife was digging and planting new plants today... not only did she find multiple BIG worms while digging but she put some extra plants in some mulch on the corner of the flower bed and she yelled to me, as I was pruning the roses, this mulch is all moldy... it was mycellial growth galore! I told her that was a great thing along with the worms and a long as the plants got enough light they should do GREAT!

This is after she pulled a lot of my old mulch off the main flower bed because it was not clean and "dirty" looking... I cringed... so I am going to make a nice compost pile with it in a corner in the back yard that won't grow any grass due to the lack of sunlight, about 4X4 area... should be good workings... and all the rose clippings are going there first... along with left over soil and the bark nuggets...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From the wiki...

Eisenia fetida, known under various common names, including redworms, brandling worms, "tiger worms" and red wiggler worms, is a species of earthworm adapted to the environment of decaying organic material. It thrives in rotting vegetation, compost, and manure, i.e. it is an epigeic worm. It is rarely found in soil, and instead, like Lumbricus rubellus, prefers conditions where other worms cannot survive. Its specific name arises because, when roughly handled, it exudes a pungent liquid. This is presumably a chemical defense mechanism, although there appears to be no direct confirmation in the scientific literature that it confers protection against predators. It is closely related to the sibling species Eisenia andrei, also referred to as E. fetida andrei. The only simple way of distinguishing them is that E. fetida is lighter in colour. Molecular analyses have confirmed their identity as separate species, and breeding experiments have shown that they do not produce hybrids.
They are readily commercially available, usually by weight - primarily they are sold for vermiculture, owing to their remarkable ability to process organic matter into fertile compost, but they are also sold as bait. The composting process is known as vermiculture, with an end result of vermicompost.