Register free!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
If adult red wigglers wont survive, can I buy eggs somewhere? Or is there a better worm for my needs?

This is the first time I have heard this, and there are well respected members here who sell and advocate worms, so this info really shocks me. Not saying its false, just shocking.
Are the members on here adding the worms to your soil/trees/gardens or are they using them for composting/castings?

There seems to be too much confusion on here between standard earthworms and red wigglers...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
well thats the dumbazz statement of the week. what type of worms are we talking about. red worms? lumbrusius? night crawlers???

whats the point after that statement............

deep most worms can travel a great way in a short time....
I can not find ANY information supporting my reply so consider my comment false.

Sorry for possible misinformation. I must have dreamed it.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We found a lot of worms in the gardens today so I am happy for now...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

case ur wondering it's not drainage debris. this is the bottom of my drain dish.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
your top pic is exactly what the lawns here look like that I spoke of rather than the nice dark soil, which I would LOVE to see... we have red soil...

Makes me wander... what color are your ant mounds? I have only known red... never thought of them being in different colored soils... funny how you just assume things without realizing it...
Thats funny. Whenever I see someone else installing a lawn and the soil is black I always wonder where they are cause I know it cant be GA!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly... our red clay is unmistakable...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Thats funny. Whenever I see someone else installing a lawn and the soil is black I always wonder where they are cause I know it cant be GA!
Red clay is what he had up here as well. But that was back in the old days. We have black clay now and not just in gardens and lawns. This is farm country and we have changed the red clay to black clay by the square mile. Red and/or white sands into black sand even moreso.

I am specifically changing it further into a clay/sand loam, one lawn and garden at a time. If domesticated soils continue to look like parent material, then we are not good stewards our soils.

We were never afraid to till, infact that is how you mixed in the OM 8" deep back in the 1930's. Never afraid to spread uncomposted manure over acres and acres of ground. Then when 'cover crops' were added to the strategies, tilling became even more important, and our soils benefitted immensely.

I just can't understand how a little area like a lawn creates so much difficulty.
Is it perhaps because: ...Today we are afraid to till and afraid to mix soils and can't picture in our minds what earthworms actually do in the soil.
After all, earthworms have killed our forests.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am getting there with my lawn, one slow year at a time! I have gotten parts of my lawn to the point I can even stick a screwdriver into them!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I am getting there with my lawn, one slow year at a time! I have gotten parts of my lawn to the point I can even stick a screwdriver into them!
LOL... I heard that... aerating sometimes I have to look and make sure I'm not on the concrete...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
LOL... I heard that... aerating sometimes I have to look and make sure I'm not on the concrete...
My front lawn really needs to be aerated about 4 times per season and top dressed a few times and I think it will turn around, rear lawn is doing good though...in fact it was the first to green up this season.

Between last 2 years drought and grubs last year my front lawn is in bad shape, nearly weed free but in bad shape. Hopefully this application of manure will bring it around.