Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota 331P or 326P help me decide

I am building a house on 10 acres so I need a mower that is up to the task. After some research I have narrowed down my choices to these two mowers. The land is mostly flat but there is a fairly steep pond embankment. There is also a fence at the bottom of the embankment so I need a mower that I can control on the way down. The pond has the one embankment and the rest of it is a crooked shoreline like a lake. The pond is about two acres. There are not many trees but there will be a house, barn and some other structure to mow around and a lot of open area.

Which of these two mowers would you recommend that I buy? I plan to buy one this coming week. The 72" 331P is $13000 and the 60" 326P is $12500.

I have never had to mow this much land so I don't really know what to expect. It will be all in Bermuda grass and I plan to keep it all mowed like a lawn. My concern is holding the hill with the 72" but the extra foot might significantly shorten my mowing time. Thanks for the help...
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Based on the fact that you have one very steep hill in the picture, with a pond to fall in no less I would stay away from the Kubotas. I had one and it was a tank. I will say their trans is a bit smoother which makes control a bit better, but they do slide big time with the weight. Will the dealer let you demo one? If you are going to go with the brand, I would go with the 31 to spin then 72" deck. Not because you have to have it, but it will be appreciated later.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if its in the budget but have you considered a used walk behind for the steep part by the pond (less chance of drowing than the 72" ztr) and a 72" zero turn for the flat area. You can pick up used walkbehinds for dirt cheap. Thats 72" is going to be a big mower and if you fall in that pond, its going to be ugly if not deadly. Good luck.

stuff
http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=184
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The side that is steep that I will be mowing is not on the water side but on the backside of the pond. It is steep, but nothing extreme. There is a fence at the bottom that I don't want to slide into.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they are very heavy and dont hld hills well unless you are very good with it, i havehad much practice believe me. about 3000 hrs on kubotas. theya re seriously tank though and are great for everything else. if the hillside is your concern, then mow with something else or not at all unless the ground is dry. the c enter of gravity is high on these machines not to mention the weight! overall, i would go for the 72, much more pracital and for barealy any more, worth it!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have they fixed the hydros on the bota's yet? I know mine had 400 hours when the right side started going out. Now given it was a ZD25 not the new 3 series, but I have heard some say the new ones aren't any better.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at the Scag Turf Tiger, it sits lower, has fuel tank under the seat (lower center of gravity) and wide tires. Its good on hills.

stuff
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have to defend the Kubotas. we have used them since the originals withthe stamped decks. they honored the extended warranties on the older models like clockwork, and i have racked up more than 1000 hrs on the new ones, 1008 on my mower alone, plus some on the other two we own. no problems at all with these and we are quite demanding i think on our machines(but with all the respect of great maintenance). they have held fine. i was PLOWING througn thick kinda tall grass all day yesterday and only went through aobut 5 gal of fuel. the diesel and high capacity decks are a great combo. we mowed very hilly demanding terrain for the first 4-5 hrs too. great machines
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

Illweeds, I can't demo one and use it on the hill because the hill was just constructed and there is no grass on it yet. The area is still a construction site.

Ihusky, I am hoping to keep it to one mower but walking up and down that hill behind a mower doesn't sound good to me, either. I really need a ZTR that will handle the hill. I did consider a Skag but have made a decision to go with a Kubota unless it appears it won't do the job.

Grassman, You seem to like the Kubotas. Any experience with the 331 or 326? If I determined the degree of angle of the hill would that tell any of you guys what would work? I really lean toward the Kubotas but it would be very bad if I buy one and I can't do my pond bank.

Also, will a 72" 331 shorten my mowing time significantly? I am flying a blind here. I am a home a owner and have never had a large area of grass to mow. I do appreciate all of the help.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wemfan, it might help if you could post a picture of the hill you need to cut and determin the slope. I would definatley go with a 72" deck for 10 acres. Good luck.

stuff