Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bid 45.000 mowable.

Need some help on this. I usually only do small lots. This property sits on 2.5 acres according to google earth. Customer told me 2.0 acres, go figure. 45000 ft of turf. Tons of beds , trees and ins and outs. Takes 2.5 tanks of fuel to trim/edge with a shindiawa t-270. Mowed with a walker 42" mulch deck and having to bag 1500 sq feet with a 21" where dog induced /fert growth is out of control. Total time 3 hours 15 minutes. 2 hours mow time, rest trim and blow. Whats it worth?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

On here the rule of thumb seems to be 60 an hour, but that will not work in my area. I try to get around 45 per hour and I'm considered high here.If I get 10% of my estimates and keep them 2 months or longer I have done good However, the amount of fuel you use plus that is a dang lot of walking/wear and tear on your equipment I am going a little higher on this one. I would say at least 185-200. If gas goes back up to last years prices I would have to put this one around 200-215. Don't forget about weedeater line, edger blades, and on this yard you are probably using way more than average.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At $150 you will probally be high at least in these times. Figure $1 minute on smaller but you can eliminate the travel time that you would normaly have between say 4 at $40 so its the same and less travel in fuel so I would bid at $150
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you'll want to start working on technique, and it sounds like you need practice.

Folks...
We don't walk in fresh off the street and just nice as can be start charging 60 an hour.
I do acre lots which are what, 43,560?
For 50 bucks.
60 if it's a real pita.

It just takes time until you get to where you can finish a POS like that in an hour.
Now I know it's going to cut me off, so...

Last edited by topsites; 04-25-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look, don't let it get you down, but you got to do this one tiny step, one lawn, and one day at a time.

One can not expect to come in and knock out no acre in no hour without a ton of experience,
and the way to get experience is through practice, again one little step, one lawn, and one day at a time.

It shouldn't take that long to mow or trim, it shouldn't eat even 1/2 a tank of trimmer fuel,
but granted I've mowed probably 4 or 5 thousand lawns and that helps.
How I got there?
One little tiny step, one lawn...
You know the rest.

Left foot, right foot, nice and easy does it, one small step at a time.
I don't know how you should bid it, but try 75-90 and see how the customer responds,
and be ready to drop in price (and I mean ready!) you might have to do it for 60...

The economy is another thing, it isn't going to come back today, next week, next month or even this year
and probably not the next year either, but one day in the far future come back it will.
Once the economy is back on steady footing we can try $60 an hour, by then you might have 1-2 thousand lawns mowed.
But between now and then, don't be surprised if you find yourself working for $30 an hour and sometimes less.

I've got days I hardly gross $15-20 a hour and the %&^$ PISSES me OFF but these folks pay my bills and I need the work.
I won't do it for just anyone, it has to be kind of the right person, so if they're going to be a PITA all breathing down my neck
the entire time on top of working for free, forget it.
Another one I don't care much for is the customer who acts like they KNOW I don't have a choice.
Like, the only reason they called is because they KNEW they could rape me, and I show up and they say
"bend over now little Boy" and then I'm supposed to take it?
Don't particularly care for that either...

But if they don't rub my face in it, other than some BS it's going to be some hard, long hours until things improve.

Last edited by topsites; 04-25-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I did one station that he wanted done for 30, which was too low, I was thinking 45 minimum, should be about 50. One guy said he'd charge 125 which was too high, nobody would pay that, the land wasn't that big, it was a good size though.

I have one that I'm looking at tomorrow that she said is 1.7 acres, I'm guessing about two. I'm thinking about the cost of it, I know the family very well though so I won't be steep but I want to be compensated for my time since I'm doing a bit of driving.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I think you'll want to start working on technique, and it sounds like you need practice.

Folks...
We don't walk in fresh off the street and just nice as can be start charging 60 an hour.
I do acre lots which are what, 43,560?
For 50 bucks.
60 if it's a real pita.

It just takes time until you get to where you can finish a POS like that in an hour.
Now I know it's going to cut me off, so...
This lot is 119200 feet, that's 2.5 acres. I have been doing this for 27 years. I can trim and edge at walking speed, I have spent 12 years taking care of a two term state Governor, the CEO of the second largest Chip maker in the world so your not talking to a rookie . Maybe you should learn to read!. Understand I do detailed work. This means every edge gets trimmed twice, vertically and horizontally. So by your pricing this comes in at $125.00.

Last edited by dishboy; 04-25-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
This lot is 119200 feet, that's 2.5 acres. I have been doing this for 27 years. I can trim and edge at walking speed, I have spent 12 years taking care of a two term state Governor, the CEO of the second largest Chip maker in the world so your not talking to a rookie . Maybe you should learn to read!. Understand I do detailed work. This means every edge gets trimmed twice, vertically and horizontally. So by your pricing this comes in at $125.00.
All right all right, point well taken.
But you did say 45,000 sq.feet of turf, I assumed the other part of this property was in the woods.
It does happen, 3 acre lots where 1/2 is in the woods leaves me with a 1.5 acre bid, if it ain't all turf...
But, I am sorry man.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
You know it just occurred to me...
How come, with that kind of experience...
You're asking us how you should bid this?

But I guess I must've been suffering from a mild case of the d.a.,
I almost slipped in the shower when that hit me thou,
couldn't get out of there fast enough to catch the Edit on time.

Last edited by topsites; 04-25-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say around $200-$225
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds