Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Chris, Barrow county can water the lawns now using the odd even thing, even is Mon, & Wed. Odd is? I'm even, so don't care about odd.
Did the manure green up the grass yet?
When did you put it down?
Dave
I am even as well. Odd is Thursday and Sunday. I have not seen green coming from manure yet as we have had little moisture...only some dew. Even with the dew I would have expected burning if it was going to burn and I have not seen this so all looks good. I will do some watering of a controlled area and post back my findings in a few days after. I am expecting to gain more from the addition of organic matter then the nitrogen anyway. So if no green up I will hit it with some fertilizer. Today I ran over some of the larger clumps with my 21 and the mulch plug installed...it busted it up pretty good.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Last edited by cgaengineer; 04-30-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are allowed to water after you fert. your yard, and if cow poo isn't frt. I don't know what is? Do you have a sprinkler system?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have pictures but I wanted to update this thread. I will post pictures tonight.

The lawn is 180 degrees from what it was last week! I was a bit concerned that the manure sitting on top of the lawn had lost most of its N to the atmosphere so Friday I put down some fert. Saturday morning we got some rain. I know for a fact that the fertilizer I put down on Friday night did not cause the lawn to green up over night but the entire lawn is a dark green and virtually weed free (was a concern for me and may still be a concern with the rain). I mowed yesterday which really helped break up the larger clumps and improve the overall look of my lawn.

I am happy with the results, now after looking at last weeks pictures and looking at it on Saturday I wish now I would not have added fertilizer! I suppose with organics you just have to trust its working and let nature do its thing.

I plan to topdress again in a few weeks if I can figure out a way to break up the manure/soil mixture to smaller partical size. I experienced zero burning of the lawn even in an area that I used fresh manure which was not composted at all.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I couldn't wait until tonight to post pictures...Picture 2 is an area that I did not topdress with manure...its a different color then the rest but the photo does not show it well.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great!
Are you getting any of these storms, yesterday was rough here.
Looks like the feller accross the street needs a bush hog?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Larry...it appears that my hard work is paying off.

What you are seeing is an empty lot to the left of that house, though that lawn does need a good cutting and she asked me last night if I would be interested in servicing it for her. Its really too bad she has to look out her window and see that mess in her view.

We got some rain, but no bad storms...just a little lightning and some rain.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
All I need now is another load and some rain. I plan to do this again this year but am going to see if I can find a topdresser even a manual one would be fine.
I just got done doing the same and I plan on hiring someone next time. Not easy to spread all that stuff with a bad back.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
I just got done doing the same and I plan on hiring someone next time. Not easy to spread all that stuff with a bad back.
It was a PITA to spread, especially the composted load I had. It was all large clumps and almost impossible to spread evenly. I ended up dropping it in piles and running it over with my power rake which worked well, not as easy as spreading and woring iit into soil with hand rake...I know about bad backs, I have several muscle knows (Muscle spasms) in my back and they are quite painful. Whatever you do dont use Capzasin HP on your back (Ask me how I know)!!

I need to find a good way to bust it up into smaller particals and I am thinking a cement mixer would work well. Anyone have suggestions?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting there, what kind of fert did you use? you might want to go out and rake those clumps so no smothering spots occur? seems the rain is helping green things up fast.

we've been getting tons of rain, grass is lovin it, it's supposed to rain all week here too, im predicting knee high grass to cut in my future forecast
Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingdeeprootsorganicly View Post
getting there, what kind of fert did you use? you might want to go out and rake those clumps so no smothering spots occur? seems the rain is helping green things up fast.

we've been getting tons of rain, grass is lovin it, it's supposed to rain all week here too, im predicting knee high grass to cut in my future forecast
Yeah, its made quite a turn around since last week. I used some 28-0-4 Vigoro from Home Depot (No time to go to JDL Fri night). The clumps were bad last week, but are nearly gone now after mowing yesterday. I suspect after this week they will not be visible any longer.

Hopefully this year will be a wet summer and my lawn can recover from 2 years of drought from the previous seasons. It seems to take forever to greenup after a drought and there are spots that are completely dead because of it. I am hoping that several applications of organic topdressing will allow my lawn to survive brief periods of no rain before going dormant as is has the last 2 years.