Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you man, I bet that feels good. Post pics.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks man, I will post pics.

I got a short start on it yesterday. I haven't been feeling the greatest the last couple of days, so I went out there and pulled a few weeds up next to the house and laid out a bed next to an old well they want cleaned up. Some of the existing plants up next to the house will be transplanted there.

I'm going to do a few different phases, but luckily I don't have any other jobs lined up besides my usual maintenance and mowing, so I'll be able to focus on this one. It just really eased my anxieties about end of the year cash flow.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First Round

Goal; Clean up around old well and transplant some Black-eyed Susan's and purple cone flowers around the well. Get Ho to also commit to a paver for the sidewalk.

The pics are after I was done rough grading. There was a small bed to the left with a burr oak and some hosta's, and I just connected the well area together with it.

There were large lilac branches that needed to be thinned out and there was a very large mulberry tree that had started there. Basically you couldn't see the well.

If the HO will let me, I want to salvage some planks out of the barn and re-build the top of the well.

One pic is one of the HO's tractors. 1972, 4020 John Deere. He disposed of the sod for me.

Another pic is of the barn. The HO has just kept up on it enough to keep it from rotting, and a restoration might be happening in a couple of years.

Name:  well1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  well2.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  109.6 KB

Post #145 has a picture of the barn in 1903.

Name:  well3.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  89.8 KB

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finished Well Pics

Here's the area with mulch and plants.

The property is slowly cleaning up nicely.

The stump of the mulberry tree has pushed out a concrete pad that is next to it. When I get the mini in to rip out the old sidewalk, I might move that pad, cut the stump down short, and place the pad back against the well.

Name:  well4.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  Well5.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  195.1 KB

Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sidewalk pics.

First pic is of the outline for the paver sidewalk. I might move it back towards the house just a shade, but otherwise the HO's wanted to be able to visualize where it will be at.

The rest of the pics are of the existing sidewalk, and what will be replaced including the circle in the front of the house. I won't be going beyond the fence line right now, until I get the go-ahead to re-build the hitching ledges.

265 feet total. Probably going to be somewhere around 3.5 feet wide.

Name:  Sidewalk1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  158.4 KB

The number #33 Whitacre cobbled clay paver on the lower left seems to be the one that will be used.

Name:  sidewalk2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  156.2 KB

Name:  Sidewalk3.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  146.4 KB

Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rest of the pics...

Name:  Sidewalk4.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  Sidewalk5.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  Sidewalk6.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  127.1 KB

Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, meeting with the HO today to give her the final estimate on the paver install. It's been more of a process with this job to get it started, but, it's a lot of money, and I understand if the HO needs to be sure of the final result.

This morning I met with a gentleman who needs some drainage work around his property.

He is pushing to have it done right away.....................

I think I might have the busiest time of the year, at the end of the year. I hate it when the weather puts a deadline on me.

Last edited by White Gardens; 09-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Day At the right time.

I've got two HO's trying to figure out what exactly they are going to do. I called them both today and turned the screws on them. I pretty much told them if they want work done, then they need to act quickly so I can finish before the first hard freeze.

I was polite, and told them that I don't like to pressure my customers, but the weather will be the biggest issue.

It's raining though, so that makes me feel better that I'm not wasting good days working.

I've got a meeting with my banker this afternoon to explore my options for buying a mini-skid. Good Stuff.

In the spirit of the rainy day, I took a pic of my neat little spot on my property. It's an annual hibiscus that I dig up every fall and put in the basement and let it go dormant. I've had it for 5 years now, and surprisingly I haven't killed it.

Around it are some white caladiums, but they are past peak and starting to wither some. Also is my purple heart plant. Around the Hibiscus is just ends of the mother plant I snapped off in the spring and stuck them in the ground. They took a while to root, but they look good now.

People walking by always so it's the best spot on my property. Not saying much though as my landscaping looks like crap.

Name:  Hybiscus.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  74.3 KB

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Update........

Finally, I've got the go ahead to do the paver sidewalk. Now I need to get the numbers together for the deposite.

Also the contract.....

Also, lining up the equipment......

Also...............

So, I'm stoked, (for lack of better terminology) and nervous to some degree. Nothing major though, just normal nerves of putting the project together.

I also went around and test drove a couple of different mini's. I've only used the toro dingo in the past and this time I wanted to try something different.

I tried a boxer, but didn't like the controls. Also the boxer they had for rental was something like the 822, and it might actually be too wide and large for the project.

I then went and tried a vermeer at sunbelt rentals. Though a smaller machine, I loved the joy-stick controls, but the machine was a little under-powered. we have a vermeer dealer nearby and I might see which ones they have available for rental. I'm sure as a dealer they might have a little better machine.

I'll keep you updated and post pics when I start. Deposit should be in hand by Thurs, and the concrete should be gone by no later than next Tues.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Went to the Vermeer Dealer this afternoon.

I drove an S600TX that they had for rental, and it is a diesel.

Has more than enough power, tracks are 32 inches wide, with the bucket being 42 inches wide. I also love the joystick controls compared to the boxer with the four levers.

That will give me enough room with the tracks to not mess up my paver base, and wide enough to dig out the paver base and have a little bit wider base for the pavers, if that makes sense.

I'm excited, and on top of it the other guy who wants drainage done called today. He wants it done of course, but, he is going to have to wait now. I might be able to get it done before the first hard freeze, but I'm not betting on it.