LawnSite Platinum Member

Congrats Gardens !!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Congrats Gardens !!
Thanks Stillwater, .

Hopefully I'll be getting started here real soon. The design and commitment process has dragged out, so I'm glad they came to a decision.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

" Always follow the whims of the great magnet, how stupid I was to defy him "

It's amazing how some things work out.

So, the HO was having problems imagining how the pavers will look when installed. That was the only hang-up to ordering the pavers.

She happened to be out and about and went to a local restaurant, long story short and low and behold, there was a small run of #33, #32, #30 Whitacre clay pavers. They are now ordered and she is committed to them.

I called my supplier and they confirmed this as they were able to pull the invoice and find out exactly which ones they were.

She was sold, and she was also sold on using two different colors. She went with the #33, and #32 tumbled clay paver. Those two colors look better with her property.

Man this is going to look sweet in the end.

My machine will be delivered tomorrow morning and I'm hoping to have a good chunk of sidewalk removed by the end of the day.

Man, I'm busier now than I have been all summer. One guys wants me to do a drainage project before the ground freezes and I met with the wife of a well known business owner, and she wants a small rock cleaning job done. Then there is mowing, and cleanups, and .........

I don't mind but it's funny how things work out. Doesn't look like I'm going to have any days off in the next 4 weeks unless it rains.

Pics coming tomorrow evening, check back soon. I think I'm going to do a daily post if I'm not too worn out.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

congratulations on the new machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
congratulations on the new machine!
Actually just a rental, I couldn't quite pull off buying a machine in time for this job.

I had found one setup with a mini, trailer, and 5 attachments for a really great deal, but the machine that came with the setup might have been under-powered for this job, but more than suitable for 90% of the work I normally do.

Regardless, I might be in a good position to buy one next spring. Thanks for the post Junior.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Actually just a rental, I couldn't quite pull off buying a machine in time for this job.

I had found one setup with a mini, trailer, and 5 attachments for a really great deal, but the machine that came with the setup might have been under-powered for this job, but more than suitable for 90% of the work I normally do.

Regardless, I might be in a good position to buy one next spring. Thanks for the post Junior.
Oh, well alright!

Any machine is better than a shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Oh, well alright!

Any machine is better than a shovel.
Wasn't trying to miss-lead anyone.

You bet, way better than a shovel, I found out very nicely today. 100 feet of sidewalk, ripped out, hauled away in 3 hours.

I've found this out with a dingo before, you never know how much labor you save once you actually use a machine.

My goal officially is to now have a machine by June of next year.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Day 1

Camera malfunction, no pics.

I knew there was a reason that I didn't use that piece of junk anymore.

So, here's how the day went.

Woke up at 4:30, automatically . I had my BNI meeting this morning at 7:00 a.m., that I've found out actually starts by 7:15. (when everyone finally get there).

So, low and behold, the landscaper that was kicked out of the group shows up to the meeting, and apologizes to the group for his tardiness in the past couple of months.

Without going into details, and without being disrespectful, the whole situation was awkward to say the least. I'm not even sure if he realized he was no longer a member.

Once the meeting was over, I high tailed it to the job site to be there by 9:30 when the machine was being delivered.

Man was it sweet. I got to work lifting the sidewalk and proceded to load the truck. The s600tx diesel is a great machine.

Took me 30 minutes to load 2 tons. 20 minute round trip to the asphalt plant and back.

Only got three loads done though. After my first load it started raining, and so I took a long lunch. Luckily it stopped long enough in the afternoon to get two more loads done by 4:00 p.m. I'll have to show you guys pics of the crazy path I took to help minimize my ruts in the lawn.

I think we've had about an inch of rain over the course of the day, so I really don't think I'll be doing much there tomorrow. I might go back over and shoot some pics though.

That's it for now, feel free to ask questions.

Nick W.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Day 2

Not much doing. We had an inch of rain last night and it was way too muddy to do anything at the site.

I did get the old steps, from a door they closed off, moved out of the way and also went ahead and broke out the section of concrete that was in front of the the old door to the basement. I wanted to do it by hand as I didn't want to damage the old concrete around the steps.

This Mini Rocks, had no problems moving the steps.
Name:  Day2a.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  139.4 KB

Pic of the steps leading to the basement, the door is going to be replaced soon.
Name:  Day2b.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  163.8 KB

About 100 feet of concrete removed.
Name:  Day2c.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  131.9 KB

Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's take a little trip.

Here are pics of the lane that I am running my dump through through to get to the back side of the property. I really couldn't tell you why there isn't an entrance off the road to north side of the property.

I'm basically trying to find the best route so I'm not tracking on the lawn any more than I have to, and I didn't want to tear up the driveway around the back door. Eventually I'll go that way to lay my fill for the patio, and hopefully it's dry when I do that.

Along the path is lots of semi-forgoten equipment. Old balers, mowers, trailers, a heavy equipment trailer, tanks, etc...........

You just have to see the pics, I knew describing it wouldn't do it justice, so I took a ton of pics from the lawn to exit.

Name:  run1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  run2.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  121.9 KB

Good Ol' Milly, always following me around and getting into my pics.

Name:  run3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  120.6 KB

This is the loading zone

Name:  run4.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  133.1 KB

Lots and Lots of Golden Rod

Name:  run5.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  108.9 KB