Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
So the sidewalks are going to be pavers correct? Why the old concrete steps?
It was one of those balances between what the husband wants and what the wife wants. She is the one that pays me to do the maintenance, and he is the one that disagrees with her.

He originally was against doing the sidewalk this year, so she and I were both surprised when he said O.K.

So ultimately, when he has some input on what is being done, then I respect it. He is a very intelligent, utilitarian type of person. Basically he is a farmer. We are starting to get along better as he is seeing the details I'm putting into the project and he now seems to trust me and my work. When a guy like him offers you a beer then you know your getting in good with them.

Eventually, whenever the back patio is expanded some, and the hitching ledges are re-done, then I plan on using the same style block on the outsides of the steps to dress them up some. Basically it will be similar to the original style of the old steps. It will be a good balance between the formed steps and something more traditional.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, basically I didn't get the base finished.

I felt wrecked this morning after moving all the material that I did yesterday. I'm getting down to the last section close to the house, so I won't have to use a wheelbarrow anymore for the base material. I'm thinking I've got a good 2 hours left on the base, then it will be all about the pavers.

I had to go get a new gas cap for my mower this morning so I didn't get to the farm house until 9. I was moving along pretty good, but by 1:30 p.m. I was done dealing with the base and headed home to load my mower. I had to mow one yard and did a first initial clean-up in the front yard of one my mowing accounts.

Well, what do you know, rain in the forecast tonight. Doesn't appear to be much, maybe a few light showers, so I should be good to go not long after it quits raining. That and a client I did a brush removal and underground dog fence for in the spring called and said that the line is broken. I'm thinking a 60 dollar service call. Hopefully the break is visible and won't take but a few minutes to splice in a connector.

That's it, no new pics as the wife wanted the camera today. I'll post some tomorrow if I get the base finished.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finished Grade

Took two hours this morning to finish. When I was done I went ahead a blew some leaves out of the landscaping to take a breather from the sidewalk.

Everything looks great and I went ahead and took the compactor back to the rental house. I probably won't need it anytime soon and I'm still debating on whether or not to compact the pavers when I'm done.

Sounds like a question for the hardscaping section.

All in all the base seems great. I went around a tweaked a few sections to make sure all my pavers lay correctly after I screet off the sand. I'm looking forward to getting started on the pavers. They should just fly into place.

Name:  grade1.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  grade2.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  grade3.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  grade4.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  grade5.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  146.2 KB

Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last Day For The Mini.

It was time to leave the farmhouse.

I took a break from the farmhouse today in order to go do a couple random things in my Mom-In-Law's back yard. Recently I took the old pool out, and cut out the old deck. I needed to move the shed before I took the machine back to the dealer.

The only thing that was left was the old river rock, posts, and the the shed needed to be moved as the new pool will be going in the opposite corner.

So I pulled the post, scraped back the river rock, mixed in a little soil and sand and built up the corner where the shed was going to end up.

I unfortunately couldn't cut the base for the new pool as the pool company won't warranty the pool unless they have an excavator they recommend to do it.

The guys that is going to do it is going to have to remove some of the fence to get a bigger machine back there, when the S600tx would have done the job with minimal damage.

Oh well that's how the ball bounces. I got the shed moved but broke the trim on one corner where my tow strap was against the shed (not in pic). Luckily that was all the damage considering it's one of those pre-fab jobs, and are made to build on site and never to move.

Tomorrow is paver day. I'm getting my first load of sand in the morning. It doesn't look like I'll have enough to get through Sunday, so I just might actually take a day off.

I didn't have my camera, but took the picks with my new LG phone. The pics turned out pretty good after tweaking the brightness and contrast.

Good ol Milly. She's always around when I'm working at the farmhouse. She's always happy to see me.

Name:  day1.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  125.0 KB

Post from the deck.
Name:  day2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  102.3 KB

Shed dragged back as far as I could go. I then pushed it back in the corner.
Name:  day3.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  99.3 KB

Hing pin height is high enough to get the bucket over without taking it off to get through the gate
Name:  day4.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  91.6 KB

Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

O.K., so I guess I'm going to work on Sunday. If the farmers can do it, then so can I.

It's just getting late in the season and I want to be closer to done.

Yesterday I returned the trailer I borrowed for the mini, got my dump and picked up my bedding sand, and then turned around and went to get a few supplies for the farmhouse.

I ended up having to use six larger retaining blocks in one area to retain my pavers. I just used some el-cheapos as they will be hopefully temporary until the hitching ledges are done.

Pics tonight, I plan on getting a good start laying pavers.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you curving the pavers at the intersections or are you paving right angles
Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been watching your progress and can't wait to see the final product.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Same here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Are you curving the pavers at the intersections or are you paving right angles
I think I'm going to fill in the right angles at the intersections and then cut a little curve in the to help soften the hard right angle intersections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Same here.....

Me Too !! Seems like this job has been dragging out way longer than I wanted it to. But, when I've had 2 weeks of rain during the project, there is nothing I can do.

Here's a little taste for ya. Once I "broke Out" from the step then it started to go pretty quickly. This is about two hours worth of work, but like I said, it took me a little bit to get started at the step to make sure the pavers were right at the top, and to make sure it looked good.

Name:  paver1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  112.5 KB

Old 11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad day.

Finished the short section of sidewalk and was able to lay a new string line for the section next to the house. The idea was to do the short section first and figure where my end was going to be so all the pavers lock together perfectly.

Once I get started on this next run I should have everything done up to the front steps in the next 1.5 days.

Do keep in mind that the color of the pavers isn't correct in the pics. There is a fine layer of red clay dust on them and I can't wait to get the chance to wash them.

Name:  paver2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  409.3 KB

Name:  paver3.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  367.5 KB

Name:  paver4.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  paver5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  414.0 KB