Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what goes in the middle circle?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, the brick work turned out awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
I like the stone choice. I know you where leaning between 2, but I'm not going through 27 pages to figure out which one it is. There is a lot of real old clay brick walks around here. Otherwise the 2 things I notice are it looks like in a few areas your edge is on top of the sand? Seems real close to the top edge of the stone. Other is your base needs to be wider than your walk. If you are installing an 8" base you need the base to go 8" past the outside edge of your edging. I'm never crazy on those patterns, but I like the way you handled the inside flare around the circle. I'm sure the owners are happy.
It's a #32, and #33 Whitacre clay paver. In a few areas the edging is on top of the sand, and that is mainly around the house. A few other areas, my bedding sand was thinner at the edges do to the base so the edging was closer to the top. The only main issue I had with extending the base was in front of the front door. There my run was to the right a little more than the sidewalk is. In the circle, we ended up extending the base some where the edges were too close and filled in where needed. But overall I feel good about the amount of extension I have as a whole over the project.

Regarding the sand, if it wasn't for the fact that my bedding sand was a heavy particle fill sand, then I might have tried to taken the time to remove the sand underneath it. But, the sand was compacting extremely tight, no more than 1/2 an inch in those places, and in a few areas I could hardly get it broke up to put the edging on the base.

All in all I feel pretty confident in the final product. I will be warrantying my work, and I do the maintenance out there, so I will be able to fix anything as needed. I'm just happy about getting it done before winter, and the 3 inches of rain they are expecting the next couple of days.

It had been a learning experience, and I definitively learned a lot through this project that I will be taking with me to other paver projects.

Now, which pattern were you not crazy about ????? Not sure what you mean there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
looks great!....
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
what goes in the middle circle?
Dirt and annuals, whenever it dries out again. I really need to get it filled to equalize the pressure in the center circle, and I'll feel better about it going into the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
Wow, the brick work turned out awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Me too. The only problem is that I probably won't get any really good photos until mid-next summer when everything is filled in and green again.

Thanks Guys

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Now, which pattern were you not crazy about ????? Not sure what you mean there.
The whole running bond thing. Not your's but in general. Actually it's when they are flared that I'm not big on. Something about the cuts in the middle that I don't like. Like I said I like the way you went perpendicular with that part.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
The whole running bond thing. Not your's but in general. Actually it's when they are flared that I'm not big on. Something about the cuts in the middle that I don't like. Like I said I like the way you went perpendicular with that part.
I see, just a matter of preference then. I thought for a second you were saying I used a circle kit. (I've been asked that 4 times now from other scapers).

I personally wished I would have had a little more time to figure the center triangles where I flared the running bond into the circle. I was really running short on time, and the only thing I could think of was a gray brick to add an accent, but it seemed illogical at the time.

I honestly don't care for a running bond with about 80% of the pavers on the market. What I did like is the traditional size and look of Whitacre paver and felt like it was just asking to be laid in a running bond, and I think that's why I was leaning towards it all along.

One question about the base why I'm at it. Now, the strait section from the landing to the circle was the area that I was really close to the edge of my base and I feel if I have any issues it would be that section. What I'm thinking is that if I ever feel I need to do something about it, what would be the best method ???

The only thing that comes to mind is to peel back the sod a little and take a spade and cut a trench along my existing base, then adding more pack fill to the top of the existing base, and then taking something like a sledge hammer and compacting it. I figure that might get me another 5 inches overhang without disturbing the pavers.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Right now do nothing. In the future if it does fail the repair needed will be self explanatory.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Right now do nothing. In the future if it does fail the repair needed will be self explanatory.
That's what I'm thinking. Just let it go. Fix it as need be. My neighbor that helped me during the project kept telling me that he had never met someone who liked to split hairs like me.

Hopefully my client will keep me employed on the maintenance for many years, so I'll have a chance to see how it does over time.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, lots of rain, again !!!!!

We've had close to 2.5 inches since Sunday. The forecast is calling for rain until Thursday.

I still can't get over the amount of rain we've had this year. Absolutely amazing.

Well, to keep myself busy besides making phone calls, I've been looking through my pics.

Here is a couple from when I was in the middle of the paver part of the farm house. Luckily their location allowed me to skirt along the north side of Bloomington/Normal area and get to the box stores pretty easily. Along the way I would pass farmers harvesting along.

Our area is slightly unique for rural IL. We have Bloomington/Normal that is the home of Country Companies, State Farm, Mitsubishi auto plant, and ISU. So we have a nice Metro area surrounded by Farm Feilds.

Even when You go for a ride on some of the back roads between here and Peoria, you come across sub-divisions out in the countryside. Generally they are around some of the more scenic areas near the Mackinaw River. (I call it a large Creek).

After stumbling across some of these subdivisions, I realized I need to go advertise in some of those areas.

Here's the AG pics. Sometimes I wish I could move my family back home and start farming again. Then I talk to my dad and realize I've found a good profession in Landscaping.

Here's some Red and Green. I know there is a Cat Combine running around with a 24 row corn head, but I didn't have my camera the day I saw it and never tracked it down again.

Name:  Harvest1.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  harvest2.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  75.5 KB

Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd do anything to farm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
We've had close to 2.5 inches since Sunday. The forecast is calling for rain until Thursday.

I still can't get over the amount of rain we've had this year. Absolutely amazing.

Well, to keep myself busy besides making phone calls, I've been looking through my pics.

Here is a couple from when I was in the middle of the paver part of the farm house. Luckily their location allowed me to skirt along the north side of Bloomington/Normal area and get to the box stores pretty easily. Along the way I would pass farmers harvesting along.

Our area is slightly unique for rural IL. We have Bloomington/Normal that is the home of Country Companies, State Farm, Mitsubishi auto plant, and ISU. So we have a nice Metro area surrounded by Farm Feilds.

Even when You go for a ride on some of the back roads between here and Peoria, you come across sub-divisions out in the countryside. Generally they are around some of the more scenic areas near the Mackinaw River. (I call it a large Creek).

After stumbling across some of these subdivisions, I realized I need to go advertise in some of those areas.

Here's the AG pics. Sometimes I wish I could move my family back home and start farming again. Then I talk to my dad and realize I've found a good profession in Landscaping.

Here's some Red and Green. I know there is a Cat Combine running around with a 24 row corn head, but I didn't have my camera the day I saw it and never tracked it down again.

Attachment 167990

Attachment 167991
I get to do that in the summer for wheat harvest on my family farm. I love it and miss it
FS 90 R Trimmer
Stihl br 550 blower
Work for a landscaping company full time and go to school full time. Also in the process of starting my own business.