Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not much going on. I did get 6 cleanups done the last couple of days and only have a couple left.

Then I got a handful of other projects to finish before the snow flies.

I went out to the farmhouse tonight and it looks like I can start grading and moving dirt around without it being muddy. The plan is to have the landscaping done Monday Evening.

Here is a pic I shot with my phone on the way out to the farmhouse. I knew there was a Lexion floating around and I finally got a pic.

Name:  lexion.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  264.7 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

grading and moving dirt? with what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
grading and moving dirt? with what?
Shovel and a Wheelbarrow. The old fashion way.....

In all honesty it shouldn't be too bad. I've got a yard boss tiller head on my trimmer and I just need to loosen the soil in the beds and grade with it. Pretty slick actually. I do final grades with it in lawns and landscaping after everything has been tilled.

I've talked to my Vermeer rep and I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on a machine.

Normal fears and concerns are holding me back though. But in all honesty, if this is the winter to buy a machine I think now is the time to do it. I need a back-up for my plow-truck, and the farmhouse is helping to give me more wiggle room for the winter when it comes to money.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Shovel and a Wheelbarrow. The old fashion way.....

In all honesty it shouldn't be too bad. I've got a yard boss tiller head on my trimmer and I just need to loosen the soil in the beds and grade with it. Pretty slick actually. I do final grades with it in lawns and landscaping after everything has been tilled.

I've talked to my Vermeer rep and I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on a machine.

Normal fears and concerns are holding me back though. But in all honesty, if this is the winter to buy a machine I think now is the time to do it. I need a back-up for my plow-truck, and the farmhouse is helping to give me more wiggle room for the winter when it comes to money.
I didnt know, thats why I asked.

So here is this back:

And nice, you ever checked out a trailer thats set up with all the attachments and things on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

good choice on the brick....matches the house very well
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That brick job came out really nice man.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I didnt know, thats why I asked.

So here is this back:

And nice, you ever checked out a trailer thats set up with all the attachments and things on it?
I was hoping to actually purchase a machine, but it's still the old shovel and tiller (hence the ). It came out good though, I don't know how easily the machine would have worked in the beds and it only took me an hour and a half to grade the landscaping beds around the side of the house. The dirt is so nice that even after compaction it tills up easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj18 View Post
good choice on the brick....matches the house very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
That brick job came out really nice man.
Thanks guys, , hopefully I'll have part of the landscaping done tomorrow and it will start to tie in nicely.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the pics of the final grade. I used these images to make a final design. The HO should be calling me back soon and finalize it. I'll post the pic of the design that she decided to go with later tonight.

Name:  FinalD1a.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  272.8 KB

Name:  FinalD2b.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  205.3 KB

Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I gave her three different options and this is the one she went for.

I love my design program. I can whip out a design like this in 30 minutes or so, come up with three different versions, e-mail them and then finalize them over the phone.

Name:  FinalDesign.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  FinalDesign2.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  99.9 KB

Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I actually have. Even though I'm contemplating a Vermeer, there is a few PowerHouse Pro's out there (Boxer) that have the machine, trailer and a handful of attachments to boot. All excellent prices too. I don't necessarily like the controls of a Boxer, but would be more than sufficient for the majority of work I do, and on top of it I would have the main attachments I need to be productive without having to rent any attachments. At the farmhouse I needed to be as efficient as possible, so the Vermeer fit the bill this time around.

I think I'm actually going to hold off on the machine. Someone in the family was reading this thread and has offered to help float me a loan next spring for a machine (I've refused 3 times and finally gave int). I have all intentions of setting up a payment plan and paying back monthly like I would for any loan, except I won't have to pay interest. I'm also not a sponge, and don't like to ask people for help, so this is a pleasant surprise to me.

The deal with the Vermeer is that I didn't want to lose my rental money as they would put it towards a down payment on a machine. My credit is good so Vermeer would give me a loan. The banks are soooo tight right now on lending that they didn't want to loan me the money to get a different machine.

The banker kept looking at me during my visit, like my business wasn't going to be around next year. I wanted to tell him to go to H@#$. I've never defaulted on any loan of any sort.

That's it in a nutshell on the machine front. I need something next year though as I don't want to hire anyone yet. My neighbor is having twins also, so he'll be available part-time to help if needed. He needs to be able to make extra money, and to get out of the house.