Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bud, looks just awsome. Seriously.

Are they christian/religous? A celtic cross would look really nice in the circle. Rustic, in keeping with the theme. Heck, even if they aren't religous, a celtic cross is sort of an historical feature. Install and forget, other than the surrounding plantings. I'd be thinking several annual plantings in that circle each year.

Maybe some heathers for a small year round interest evegreen feature. Some heathers bloom all winter... they have small fowers, but are ideal near walkways where they get veiwed closely as one walks by. Very under used plants. Might be a bit cold there for some varieties... but the mediteranian strain would do OK. Heathers don't like winter wind, and they like full sun.

Still, I have actually used them as annual plantings in locations that arent well suited for them. Robert Colemans flower in the summer, and turn a beautiful golden red in the fall. Not likely to surive your winters unless burlaped.

In any case, you did a great job. I hope you get some free pub out of it next summer. You deserve that sort of recognition for this job.

Merry Christmas, and bless you and yours. Later.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

that came out amazing...usually when they have circle like that they have a nice flag pole in the middle not my style but different strokes for different folks!
6x10 Bri-mar dump trailer
36in Bobcat
48in Stander RH
3 - 21in mowers
16hp Lesco loader
9 hp Little Wonder blower
Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Bud, looks just awsome. Seriously.

Are they christian/religous? A celtic cross would look really nice in the circle. Rustic, in keeping with the theme. Heck, even if they aren't religous, a celtic cross is sort of an historical feature. Install and forget, other than the surrounding plantings. I'd be thinking several annual plantings in that circle each year.

Maybe some heathers for a small year round interest evegreen feature. Some heathers bloom all winter... they have small fowers, but are ideal near walkways where they get veiwed closely as one walks by. Very under used plants. Might be a bit cold there for some varieties... but the mediteranian strain would do OK. Heathers don't like winter wind, and they like full sun.

Still, I have actually used them as annual plantings in locations that arent well suited for them. Robert Colemans flower in the summer, and turn a beautiful golden red in the fall. Not likely to surive your winters unless burlaped.

In any case, you did a great job. I hope you get some free pub out of it next summer. You deserve that sort of recognition for this job.

Merry Christmas, and bless you and yours. Later.

Thanks Whitey. I'm afraid that the winter winds might end up being too much for Heathers. I've looked at them though and would like to find more of an urban setting with a micro-climate to try them out.

Are you talking an upright cross, or something flat on the ground. They aren't very religious at all, but I do like the artistic form of the Celtic cross and is something to consider. The only real "theme" I've been able to come up with so far is a Victorian Garden theme of sorts. So with that said I might have to but a couple of benches in the landscaping somewhere and maybe a couple of statuaries of some sort.

Ya, I'm hoping to get some publicity out of it. As soon as I get one of the hitching landings done, I want to call a local reporter to do a peice out there on the history of the property and how it came from a house that needed to be bulldozed into a house the will keep it's history for many years to come. (The inside looks great also)

Thanks for the compliments and input Whitey. I always appreciate your opinions as it seems you are very detailed orientated with your landscapes, and they come out great as well.

Also, Merry X-mas. Glad to hear your doing O.K. and hopefully you can stay off your feet for the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJP Landscaping View Post
that came out amazing...usually when they have circle like that they have a nice flag pole in the middle not my style but different strokes for different folks!
Thanks, haven't heard "amazing" yet from anyone on LS, so I definitively appreciate it. It's nice to get validation from my peers on the work I do. I'm a people pleaser and my own worst critic, so the compliments help to reassure that I am doing something right.

I agree, flagpole not my style either. A flagpole in this situation would need to go to a different part of the property.

We'll get something figured out next spring. Whatever it is, the HO isn't jumping the gun on buying a statuary and is looking around at different places to find the right piece for the circle.

Thanks Guys,

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking something like this

http://www.catholicfaithstore.com/St...ure_12514.html

There are other more weathered looking crosses out there too. not exactly a Victorian theme though although these crosses first appeared in England.

Here is a more rustic looking one

http://accentsinthegarden.sixbyte.net/f7617.html#
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so i have not looked at your thread at all and i just viewed every page,

i have to say you have a great eye to design and your work is simply flawless. fantastic and inventive. i dont know how to convey the super impressed feeling i have over looking at your work.

WELL DONE!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice compliment Grassman, I appreciate it. . Must of had a little time on your hands to zip through this thread.

Even if I can't guarantee a return in property value for my customers I still want it to be ascetically appealing when they look at it. If it evokes some positive emotions too then that's a great bonus for the customer or others looking at it.

I still look up to other scapers around and on here, and hope I can do some projects similar to what they have done. Landscaping has a certain level of art involved and art is ones' own reality, so I like the influences of others and try to incorporate some of the same techniques.

My ultimate goal is to keep my jobs from not looking like a cookie cutter landscape job that seems to be the trap of other bigger companies. Ultimately though I do understand that the more scapes I do, the more I'll be using some of the same plants, so hopefully I can keep them all as individual as possible.

I haven't posted much on my thread lately, been doing a few cleanups, mulched mounded some roses, pruning jobs and got the plow fixed just in time for the snow to fly. I can now officially say that I'm done with my season... I think.

Thanks again guys,

Later.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yup, got 4 inches last night and we are in for more today and tonight. i dont plow though and glad too, i am just relaxing and sitting here on lawnsite. my personal taste has bled through to some of my small landscape designs, and some i would change now that it has been a couple of years, but it does not look bad.

my personal taste is semi cottage style perennial gardens with a touch of shrubs and evergreen very light in the mix here and there.

my avatar is my butterfly specific garden on the side of my crappy porch. hard to see, but it is a very large mixture of dayliliies, daises, savlia, lavender, caryopteris, and some butterfly bushes, one being new in the pic on the right.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

here is a better pic, also i forgot the liatris, black eyed susans and sedum. remember the yellow butterfly bush was new when the pic was taken, it is now as big as the other one on the far left.

sorry, i had a better side pic, but cant find it
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice Grassman, clean and I love the butterfly theme. You should plant a chunk of sedum in that blank spot. The Monarch's love them.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the blank spot is not anymore, the butterfly bush takes up the entire area now, even hanging over the wall. i have to find the better pic from the other side, i even have it as my desktop but could not find it in the documents files on my computer. thanks though. it ranges all the way around my home, and around the trees on the other side, and then the back property line both inside and out of my back yard. this is just a real butterfly attraction and around the front too, but the pic i have is older yet, like two or three years.