Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
sweeet,

i have not found a girl(or really had very many apply) that can keep up with me and the crew, though i have seen them working for other companies.
She did pretty good. Not as physically able as most guys, but, worked consistently, and didn't complain, so ultimately she got as much work done as anyone else would.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, as a little thread update.

Picked up a Lowes parking lot for plowing and just over Christmas we got three snow falls. So Lowes, two Block-Busters I do got plowed three times in three days. All my other residential accounts got plowed twice.

So, Last night I finally got a good nights sleep. Just in time for it to start snowing again tonight into tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good 4 u. i bet that little bit raked in pretty decent dollars
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
good 4 u. i bet that little bit raked in pretty decent dollars
Not too bad, definitively going to help pay bills for the winter if it snows like it just did. Lowe's is trying to micro-manage the snow removal of their stores and I had to negotiate to get the correct price of the service. So what it comes down to is there is one part (out of three) of the service that I won't make a whole lot of money on, but when you do it three times it adds up. The previous guy low-balled the crap out of it, so when you start with a low number, they want the low number. Ultimately they needed someone on the fly, so I told them what I wanted, take it or leave it and they took it.

All in all I think it will work out O.K. I'll do it for the rest of the season, but if it's a crap-shoot in the end, I'll drop it and try to go pick up some residentials that seem to be more worth my time compared to what commercial accounts want for services.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More snow on the way. 6-8 inches are predicted. This will make the fifth plow in the last month, and add to the 8 inches on the ground we have already.

Not as much snow as some people have had across the states, but enough to make my nerves shot.

Hopefully one day I'll be paying someone else, or making enough money during the growing season to not have to plow.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, we jsut got pounded again with another 5 inches or so. it was a blizzard outside jsut a while ago, and i went out in it to go to walmart for some medicine. it sucked.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This winter has me thinking maybe I ought to get into snow removal.... but every heavy year gets follwed by two light ones. Hmmmm....
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

never miss anything but the money, ever
Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
This winter has me thinking maybe I ought to get into snow removal.... but every heavy year gets follwed by two light ones. Hmmmm....
It definitively helps with the income. But your right, we get a streak of light winters and there is nothing in it. I remember winters around here that had no snow at all.

The trap is when you have the light years, you take on more accounts, and then you get hammered with a large storms and it takes too long to get to all your customers, and then ultimately you loose them.

I'm trying to keep it simple and not rely on winter income to get me through the winter.

Quote:
never miss anything but the money, ever
Ha !, good one.

So ultimately this last storm dumped 6-8 inches depending on where you were standing. The thing that sucked the worse with this plow was the timing. It stopped snowing around 8-9 a.m. At that point everyone wanted out of their driveways and the traffic was horrible due to the conditions.

I ended up plowing for 27 hours, came home and slept. At that point the wind started blowing and the out-skirts of Bloomington/Normal started to drift pretty bad. Didn't get as bad as they predicted as the wind came, died down, came, etc.. so it wasn't constant. I ended up plowing an In-laws farm house 5 times though as the wind kept blowing it back in. Next year I want to grade it out so it doesn't catch the snow.

Pics after the storm.

Name:  snow1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  snow2.jpg
Size:  98.3 KB

Good Old Blue Bomber hasn't let me down. Unfortunately I thinks It's days are numbered. Lots of things to fix, And I'd like to have a 450 with 4wd.

Name:  snow3.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  snow4.jpg
Size:  80.6 KB

In-laws farm property.

Name:  snow5.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  73.4 KB

Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

looks like some good snow man, we are sitting pretty high right now with snow banks from all the plowing and such. looks like no melt in the near future either. at least it is not in the negatives anymore.