Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just in time, then, nothing.

I want to play in the dirt. This snow is killing me, but today I finally feel like spring is around the corner. We have had one crazy winter when it comes to snow, and the area just west of us is slated to get another 6-8 inches. Luckily we have come out unscathed and are now only expecting 1-3 inches in our area.

Luckily the temps are finally coming up above freezing during the day. We had 1 inch of sleet and snow fall last night and it was gone by 10 am. So even at this point the snow doesn't stand a chance against warmer temps and higher sun angles.

ISU had just ordered their brand new, F-550, red-bird red, 141" wheelbase, 9ft. contractors dump, Flink tail-gate replacement salt spreader, Meyer contractors plow with Meyers wings added, 4wd, triton V-10, and central hydraulics to run the system. (Basically I was drooling as that is pretty much my dream-machine, except it was red).

What they were getting rid of is a 2001 Chevy 3500HD. 8.1 gas motor, 23,000 miles, central hydraulics, 10 foot dump, Flink under-tailgate salt spreader, Meyer Diamond plow, and just replaced the transmission.

Got it for a reasonable price. Bed is a bit rusty but should clean up pretty good. The frame has some minimal surface rust, so a good coat of tractor enamel should do the trick. Cab is in good to great shape, and the 8.1 motor runs strong.

The only thing I don't like is that it is 2wd, and the wheelbase is 160 inches. If that bugs me then me and the neighbor are going to shorten the wheelbase. He tells me it's not that hard to do, and don't see why it would be.

Too bad I probably won't get to use the snow equipment on it the rest of this year, but, we'll see. I'm just glad I found a replacement truck in a little over a week, and it will be a good puller and hauler this year.

Name:  p_00233.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  p_00235.jpg
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  p_00237.jpg
Size:  58.6 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chevy didnt offer the 3500HDs in 4wd if I remember correctly.

but anyways, I am glad to hear things are going good! Best of luck this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

Last edited by Junior M; 02-21-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Chevy didnt off the 3500HDs in 4wd if I remember correctly.

but anyways, I am glad to hear things are going good! Best of luck this spring.
Oh I don't think they did either. I was originally looking for an f-550 4wd, but I couldn't find one that I really liked, and I got this truck with all the equipment on it and all the 550's were bare for the same price.

Thanks Junior, hope you guys have a good year too. Hope you got some of that work lined up you were talking about a couple of months ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice new truck. Hope you have a good season with it!

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm, ISU- I have a ton of friends that go there. Small world I guess lol. I know a few guys that plow with 2wd 3500hd's and as long as you're not doing hilly backcountry driveways they're plowing machines. Good rubber and a bed full of salt you'll never need 4x4!
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwdman View Post
Hmmm, ISU- I have a ton of friends that go there. Small world I guess lol. I know a few guys that plow with 2wd 3500hd's and as long as you're not doing hilly backcountry driveways they're plowing machines. Good rubber and a bed full of salt you'll never need 4x4!
I do an in-laws back country drive and having 2wd sucks for that. It drifts after every snow and that is the only place I ever got stuck, and luckily that was just once. In that case I have some length of scrap chains that I can throw under the wheels if I need to.

I had been plowing with my 2wd, F-350 Cab and Chassis, really didn't have any issues especially with having no weight during smaller snow falls. I actually went half the season this year before I added any weight, and then we got 6 inches and decided that was a good time to do it.

I had a chance to play with the new truck the other day. They have actually modified the rear and installed a limited slip differential. That and I think the longer wheelbase doesn't help. What was happening was that when I would spin, I was more apt to spin the rear around. It makes me nervous as With an open differential, you only get one wheel spinning, but you stay in a strait line. You just have to feather it just right to get a grab on the pavement.

We'll see. I'm already thinking about shortening the wheelbase to 140". I'm also contemplating taking the short dump bed off my F-350 and putting it on the Chevy. My bed is in just as good of shape as the one on the Chevy.

Hmmmmm.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can always sell the body you dont use..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You can always sell the body you dont use..
Well, that's another issue. I have have my F-350 with no motor. It has a good plow, good dump body, and the hydraulics to run it.

Do I spend 1000, dump a motor in it, and maybe get 3500 for it. Or do I start parting it out.

Or, do I save one of the dump bodies and build a dump trailer. O.K. that one I probably won't have any time for.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Well, that's another issue. I have have my F-350 with no motor. It has a good plow, good dump body, and the hydraulics to run it.

Do I spend 1000, dump a motor in it, and maybe get 3500 for it. Or do I start parting it out.

Or, do I save one of the dump bodies and build a dump trailer. O.K. that one I probably won't have any time for.
Its a gas truck right?

What exactly does it need? Just a motor?

If I were you, I'd find a used motor for it from a salvage yard, trade them your old motor plus some cash for the used one. Install it myself and dump the Ford before the tranny or rearend goes..

Quote:

Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Its a gas truck right?

What exactly does it need? Just a motor?

If I were you, I'd find a used motor for it from a salvage yard, trade them your old motor plus some cash for the used one. Install it myself and dump the Ford before the tranny or rearend goes..
It's a diesel. I've found a motor at a salvage yard for 600 bucks. The rear was replaced last spring and the tranny was replaced 2 years ago when I got the truck.

The 350 needs a new steering box and rag joint(250), possible master cylinder (ford part only 350) if the brake issue isn't the RABS in the truck. The rear helpers are starting to wear and the rear springs need replaced (600). Front brakes need rotors/pads(250). the rear brakes need re-built(250). Sub-frame on dumb-body needs some metal (100), dump body needs some minor work and a paint job. (150+) Oh, and the rocker panels and cab corners are deteriorating. (300+) Don't forget that the front bumper needs replaced (150salvage).

So, it's a crap shoot. If someone wants it or not. It would be a good truck for cheap to fix up as I had stopped any major rusting on the frame and got that under control. My mech neighbor says he has seen worse frame wise.

I just don't have or want the time to fix it up, that's why I got the chevy. Overall in wayyyy better shape.

Since I've had it I've replaced a ton of other stuff too. Always passes inspection, but barely.