Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
It's a diesel. I've found a motor at a salvage yard for 600 bucks. The rear was replaced last spring and the tranny was replaced 2 years ago when I got the truck.

The 350 needs a new steering box and rag joint(250), possible master cylinder (ford part only 350) if the brake issue isn't the RABS in the truck. The rear helpers are starting to wear and the rear springs need replaced (600). Front brakes need rotors/pads(250). the rear brakes need re-built(250). Sub-frame on dumb-body needs some metal (100), dump body needs some minor work and a paint job. (150+) Oh, and the rocker panels and cab corners are deteriorating. (300+) Don't forget that the front bumper needs replaced (150salvage).

So, it's a crap shoot. If someone wants it or not. It would be a good truck for cheap to fix up as I had stopped any major rusting on the frame and got that under control. My mech neighbor says he has seen worse frame wise.

I just don't have or want the time to fix it up, that's why I got the chevy. Overall in wayyyy better shape.

Since I've had it I've replaced a ton of other stuff too. Always passes inspection, but barely.
Honestly, I'd take the body and hydraulics and any parts you could use on the Chevy. Then sell the Ford to a salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Honestly, I'd take the body and hydraulics and any parts you could use on the Chevy. Then sell the Ford to a salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks or something..
That's what I'm thinking. I could salvage the rear wheels and sell them, sell the tranny, sell the plow set-up, and possibly sell the dump body/cylinder/electric over hydraulic pump. I might possibly get the same amount of money as I would selling the whole thing.

Then I would just give the truck to the salvage yard.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That's what I'm thinking. I could salvage the rear wheels and sell them, sell the tranny, sell the plow set-up, and possibly sell the dump body/cylinder/electric over hydraulic pump. I might possibly get the same amount of money as I would selling the whole thing.

Then I would just give the truck to the salvage yard.
Yeah, then you'd come out with money in hand where as if you fixed all that stuff, you might end up costing yourself money..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

save the parts you want then dump the old ford you will kick yourself for dumping a ton of money into that truck
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! Really nice projects! I love what you did with the Flagstone and rock, it's beautiful and low maintainence. A great idea! Perfect for the Hot Tub and walkways.

The tranformations were fun to see, I wish I had seen your pics before I did my Flagstone. I would have done some like you did, in the larger areas. It is beautiful. I just put flagstone here at home last fall, and tried that product called "Paver Set Polymeric Sand" I got it at Lowes. I really love it! It's very easy to work with, looks very natural and sets the Flagstone solid. Last month the walkway lights I had burried under the stone quit, I was able to wet the grout, lift the stone, and make the repair, then sprinkle in some more paverset and the repair was unnoticeable. So I really recommend the product if you ever have a need for it.

I still have a little hill I need to terrace, I think I will do that with the flagstone, and put the rock like you did, I'm so glad I saw your post!
Thanks for sharing, Cheryl
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments CrazyBlonde, I really appreciate it.

I use Techno-Seal poly sand for my tighter paver jobs. I haven't run across a situation yet where I needed to butt the flagstone up so tight that I needed to use it in-between the flagstone. All my flag paths are mainly just glorified stepping paths.

I might be doing a flagstone patio this year and that would be a situation I would definitively use a poly sand in between the joints.

Thanks again for looking at the photos. Hopefully I can add a few more than a few projects to this thread again this year.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rainy Day

Well, it's raining, hopefully this isn't a sign of the incoming season. Last year was horrible in the excess rain we had, and I would like to see a drier season this year.

Just got started on the new/used truck. Inside the bed and on the rear of the truck there is a decent amount of scaled rust that I have been knocking off with a hammer. Luckily the underside of the bed is in great shape, it's just the top-side that has some issues. ISU didn't do a very good job of washing the truck after using it for salt.

So hopefully next weekend I can get it to my sign guy and get the sides lettered. Then after that I want to go ahead and repair a couple of minor spots on the dump bed and then sand-blast and paint it.

At some point too I'm going to have to take the truck mirrors off and fix the body where they have been mounted. As you can see in the pic I've got a little rust bleeding down the side of the door.

The truck is in great shape, just needs a little TLC to keep it in great shape.

I'm itching to get to work for the season. The ground was starting to firm up a little, and then it decides to rain.

Name:  Truck10.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  115.8 KB

Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice find. that is a big plow!!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
that might be the reason his last truck died..

Quote:

Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
Yes, yes it is. It's nine feet wide. The plow on this truck is a newer style trip edge plow (Fisher). The plow on my old truck was a Meyer Diamond with a trip edge and metal snow foil similar to this one, only it had the older torsion style springs and was 8.5 feet wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
that might be the reason his last truck died..
Naaaa, old truck died because it was 30 years old. . I was asking it to do more than it could handle. It was a 6.9 international diesel that probably had enough abuse to be equivalent to a motor with 500,000 miles on it. (When plowing you don't put a lot of miles on a truck, just abuse, and you don't add miles to the odometer when in reverse.)