Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hope this spring isn't a sign of the year to come.

Rain yesterday. Today no rain. Then 5 days in a row for rain. I just really hope that this year isn't a wet one like last year.

The farmer in me is coming out; I complain when there is too much rain, and complain when there is too little.

Oh well. Still a tiny bit of snow left on the ground and the ground is really soft from the frost heaving out of the ground, so I've got a little time to wait until I get out and get started for the year.

I took today to run errands and to go ahead and start working on the bad spots on the dump bed of the new truck. The front corners had rotted so I cut out the bad spots and welded in new pieces of steel. I'm getting pretty good at welding and I'm surprised I was able to do these two sections pretty nicely. Luckily I got done right before the sun set and gave the new steel a shot of primer before it.............starts raining tomorrow.

I really would like to get the bed sandblasted and painted, but I need to watch what I'm spending money on, so I'm going to clean up the worst sections, use a rust converter on those sections, patch a couple of minor spots, prime over the rust converter, and brush on a coat or two of black tractor/equipment enamel. That will get me by until I can properly sandblast and paint the bed.

Unfortunately I cut my metal wrong and had a gap. Luckily I was able to take a sliver of metal and weld it in there and it looks uniform and solid now.

Name:  dump15.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  28.7 KB

The angle cut in the end piece is to let water out of the bracket behind it. The original piece had a tiny angle cut in the corner and it was plugged up by debris, so I'm assuming that's why it rotted out.

Name:  dump16.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  32.5 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=White Gardens]Rain yesterday. Today no rain. Then 5 days in a row for rain. I just really hope that this year isn't a wet one like last year.

The farmer in me is coming out; I complain when there is too much rain, and complain when there is too little.

White Gardens,

We really dodged a bullet in my opinion this week with all the rain that was predicted that we didn't get. We don't need it right now. I just hope this isn't a sign of the year to come. I hope that we don't miss all the rains this year. I guess this is the farmer in me coming out. I hope we don't have a drought.

Anyway, looks like you have a fun little project on your hands with your new truck. I love tinkering around with things like that before the season. I am currently working on my trailer. Good luck in 2010.

Last edited by gdguth; 03-12-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post

We really dodged a bullet in my opinion this week with all the rain that was predicted that we didn't get. We don't need it right now. I just hope this isn't a sign of the year to come. I hope that we don't miss all the rains this year. I guess this is the farmer in me coming out. I hope we don't have a drought.
Ya, I think droughts are worse than too much rain. It depresses me some when everything dries up to a crisp. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Same here on the rain this week. We looked like we were going to get a lot more but didn't. My goal was to get started with cleanups next week, and I might be able to do that after it rains some this weekend. After that it looks like we should have some dry weather and hopefully the ground will firm up as the frost appears to be gone now.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

By By Blue Bomber.

So out of a whim I decided to go ahead and list the dump-bed off the old F-350 that I just recently killed. I did have a thread about it in the For Sale section of LS.

I put it in as a buy it now or best offer listing on e-bay and set up the sale for 30 days. Wouldn't you know it somebody bought the thing in three days. The guy wanted to put it on his F-350 dually, crew cab truck (Pulling the trailer in the pics) so he could haul random loads of rock and the occasional load of firewood.

I ended up borrowing a friends JD wheel loader and we just plucked the bed right off the old truck, rolled the old truck out, and then dropped it strait down on his trailer. Ended up working out smoothly.

I'm going to miss the old beast, it was a fairly reliable truck and made a good amount of money for me.

Now hopefully the weather will dry up and I can get some cleanups done this week. The ground was just starting to firm up and we've had 2 inches of rain in the past 5 days.

Name:  Dump1a.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  Dump2b.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bye bye!! at least the ford was a good truck. i love fords
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So yesterday was a hauling day for me. The temps were still cool and the sun never came out so it was still pretty muddy outside. I took the opportunity to haul 3.5 tons of wet, feed grade gluten from the ethanol plant in Pekin IL. I had a guy get a hold of me and found out I was hauling it for my Father-In-Law. He wanted to try some out without ordering a whole semi-load, which he doesn't needs as he only has about 30 cows total for breeding and butchering.

After that I went to a local elevator and got a load of 60 bushels of corn for the Father-In-Law. He wanted to use it as a supplement for the three cows he has for butchering. The guy at the elevator didn't know what to do, as he had never had someone come in with a truck like mine and only requesting 60 bushel. I told him as a farmboy I had never done that either. First for everything I guess.

I then had to take his Massey Ferguson utility tractor and scoop it out the back of the truck and dump it into an old 60 bushel wagon inside his barn. It had been converted into a storage hopper basically. I really think a trailer is the next buy as I can rent this machine from my Father-In-Law if I need it for any jobs I'm working on.

One thing I did realize from this experience is that I've come back around full circle from where I started and where I've ended up. I can't deny that regardless how good or bad I am at what I do, I will always be a redneck.

Name:  corn1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  corn2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  93.7 KB

Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Jobs I Get.........

To tie in with my previous post, some of my accounts that I fall into sometimes make me shake my head too.

So, after taking measurements of a truck terminal in Bloomington, I had four more estimates to do.

These four estimates consisted two fire stations, A township hall building and a cemetery belonging to Dale township just outside of Bloomington IL. The tiny towns of Covel and Shirley are part of the township, but the fire stations are a vital part of emergency services to the rural outskirts of Bloomington.

My wife's grandfather was the fire-chief for many years with the township, so I told them that I would put in an estimate for them and provide them with any additional services they requested. As far as I know I've got the job locked down as long as I meet their budget needs. I also am willing to drop my price some in order to help them meet there budget and give back to my community.

Why I stumble across jobs in the older sections of the area is beyond me. This graveyard kinda ties in to the farmhouse where I did the paver sidewalk and continue to do maintenance. Basically they are places of history.

Name:  Cemetary1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  190.0 KB

Lane leading to cemetary

Name:  Cemetary2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  Cemetary3.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  Cemetary4.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  207.0 KB

Original corner stone marking the edge of the cemetery.

Name:  Cemetary5.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  160.8 KB

Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More photos of headstones. Notice the dates.

Poor Mans Grave

Name:  Cemetary6.jpg
Size:  450.3 KB

Name:  Cemetary7.jpg
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  Cemetary8.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  Cemetary9.jpg
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  Cemetary10.jpg
Size:  99.8 KB

Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like your staying busy. I always enjoy your thread.
I wonder if someone is going to get upset about you posting grave pictures on the internet. (I dont care I think they are interesting)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
Looks like your staying busy. I always enjoy your thread.
I wonder if someone is going to get upset about you posting grave pictures on the internet. (I dont care I think they are interesting)
Thanks for playing along at home ryde, I'll send you a free version of the White Gardens play at home board game. Hours of enjoyment, frustration, and a roller coaster of emotion the whole family will enjoy !!!.

Seriously though, thanks for following along. I know that this thread is self-serving to some degree, so I'm glad there is enough substance that other people find it interesting enough to follow.

Also I have been busy. I really didn't slow down this last six months like I normally do in the winter. I barely finished up the paver project last fall, and then it started to snow, then I picked up a larger retail store for snow, and now it's time to go go go this spring. I definitively feel postive about going into this next season and am on the verge of hiring someone, at least part time.

You know, it's funny you mentioned the pictures of the headstones. I thought about it for a split second and figured most, if not all of the original family in that cemetery are long gone. That and there have been plenty of photographers and filmmakers through the years that have used cemeteries for scenes for their movies. Wasn't there a scene in the New Orleans cemetery in Easy Rider???

If anyone complains, I will contact the mods and have them just delete that post with the pics.