LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great! Weather has killed us yesterday and today

Lawn Maintenance ~ Landscape Design ~ Snow/Ice Management
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banda Landscaping View Post
Looks great! Weather has killed us yesterday and today
Ya, it sucks to say the least. I hope you guys have been able to keep up with your mowing. This weather makes me glad I don't mow but 3 three yards.

Did you get my text message the other day B ?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya we are working 6 days to keep up on mowing which puts a hamper to my weekends

No I didnt get anything. Sprint has been acting up lately with texts on our business line. Ill pm you my personal number.

Lawn Maintenance ~ Landscape Design ~ Snow/Ice Management
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I'm contemplating putting 22k plates on the things and legally hauling 5 tons easily.
I saw this and had to ask, sorry! You want to put 10,000# in the back of your truck?? It's a 3500, correct?

What's your GVRW? 13,500 or something in that ballpark?

22k plates will not mean anything legally. You'll still be way over the GVWR, which is the important number.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
I saw this and had to ask, sorry! You want to put 10,000# in the back of your truck?? It's a 3500, correct?

What's your GVRW? 13,500 or something in that ballpark?

22k plates will not mean anything legally. You'll still be way over the GVWR, which is the important number.
15k is the GVWR. It has 19.5, load range F tires on it, and a 4l80e transmission, 8.1 gas motor, some ungodly low rear gearing, 4 wheel disc brakes, with engine braking (downshift when you get off the throttle). It could easily hold 6 tons worth of material (done it twice) and the truck is closely built similar to a Kodiak or Top-kick that is 16K GVWR. I don't know too many guys around here that have plates less than 22 k on their top-kicks/ Kodiaks.

You can put whatever plates you want on a truck. When they weigh you, all they look at is the plates. It's a matter if you want to kill the truck or not.

Ultimately I'm happy with putting 16 k plates on it. 3.5 tons is plenty of material to haul for what I do. The curb weight of the truck is 9200 pounds.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finally Done

After Three weeks.

Not my best work but I gave the customers what they wanted.

Name:  WMV1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  387.4 KB

Name:  WMV2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  243.0 KB

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks clean....Not to be too critical, but those Albertas are going to suffer in that location. Not nearly enough sun and they are tough enough to keep alive in a perfect situation.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Looks clean....Not to be too critical, but those Albertas are going to suffer in that location. Not nearly enough sun and they are tough enough to keep alive in a perfect situation.
The tree creating the shade is actually going to be removed in the near future. So ultimately I took that into consideration.

That and the customer requested them, and knew the issues of them growing in the shade.

Last edited by White Gardens; 05-25-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thinking about it more and more, there is another thing to take into consideration with this job.

This is a retirement village/community. The HO's is in their mid to late eighties. One of the reasons the plants that are there is that is what was around their original house before they moved in here. Part of me thinks they wanted the place to remind them of home, and I don't blame them. It's got to be hard to move into a place like this and giving up the place they called home for years and years.

The gentleman and his wife even asked me if I would be able to change it easily in the future to if they wanted to. At first I thought it was strange, and why not do it once correctly and be done with it. Without going into detail I figured out why they would want to change it.

Regardless of how good or bad this job actually is in the details, It made me feel pretty good that I could brighten the day of this tenant and the other tenants of the building going by the comments I received during this project. Most of them entered and left the building on this corner so it was visible to everyone.

On top of it, I received what I felt was the best compliment from one Gentleman. He came down and sat on the bench next to the parking lot while I was doing the mulch. It was 90* out and I mentioned how hot it was. He proceeded to say "ya it's pretty warm, and by the way, you are doing a great job." Of course I said thank you to be polite, and then he said " Even though I'm 90% blind I can tell you are doing an excellent job by the time and effort you are putting into it."

It kinda floored me...........

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks great gardens!