Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Finally after the shippers messed up my order. Found this on-line in Vermont for a steal of a deal and found a shipper to ship it for about half of what the larger carriers were going to ship it for.

Who needs employees when I've got this setup now.

Oh, please disregard the genky wiring on the trailer. I plan on re-doing them at some point.

Attachment 189614
dude, nice find. how much did she set you back?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Dude....I feel your pain about your yard. My grass is greener than hell, but it is also about approximately 1 foot tall. Worse than that there are weeds in the beds that are taller than the lawn and there isn't mulch to be found in the beds. But that will all be changing in the next couple weeks. I am finally doing my yard. It's waited long enough. By the way...like I said on fb, nice job man....looks good!
Ya, the yard is looking pretty bad right now. I still need to get my garden in also. I plan on making time for that this next Sunday.

Thanks for the comments on my FB page as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
dude, nice find. how much did she set you back?
Both the Vermeer and Attachment were used when I bought them. To some it up, I bought a 27 horse gas motor s600tx, ramrod backhoe attachment, and a set of forks for under the same price as a comparable used diesel machine.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Had some bad storms that passed through the night before last. There were reports of a funnel cloud and possible tornado that ripped the roof off a house, uprooted some trees and knocked over a small shed.

This is a property outside of Danvers. The HO wanted me to clean up the mess from the night before and luckily I just took it to his burn pile in the back of the property.

Dupe is proving to be invaluable. ( My son named the mini ). It's even nice to know that I don't have to over-use my saw to remove logs now.

Name:  tree1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  362.7 KB

Name:  tree2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  379.1 KB

Name:  tree3.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  387.6 KB

Name:  tree4.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  358.0 KB

Name:  tree5.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  176.6 KB

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put a grapple on it and you'd be that much more impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Put a grapple on it and you'd be that much more impressed!
Already thinking about it!

It would be nice to have either a 4 in one bucket, or a grapple bucket, but for now the forks will do. I need to get some stuff paid off first before I make any more purchases this year.

What I need to do is rig up a removable grapple for light brush work. I could just attach it to the forks when I need it and take it off when I don't.

I found an old 3 point drag/grading blade the other day too, and I might find an attachment plate for the mini and weld it to the blade.

Most of the specialized attachments though I can now go rent if I need it. The backhoe was the only thing I couldn't find to rent locally, so that's why I bought one. Originally I though about just buying the backhoe and using it when ever I rented a machine.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Already thinking about it!

It would be nice to have either a 4 in one bucket, or a grapple bucket, but for now the forks will do. I need to get some stuff paid off first before I make any more purchases this year.

What I need to do is rig up a removable grapple for light brush work. I could just attach it to the forks when I need it and take it off when I don't.

I found an old 3 point drag/grading blade the other day too, and I might find an attachment plate for the mini and weld it to the blade.

Most of the specialized attachments though I can now go rent if I need it. The backhoe was the only thing I couldn't find to rent locally, so that's why I bought one. Originally I though about just buying the backhoe and using it when ever I rented a machine.
A 4n1 wont even compare to a grapple when it comes to moving brush and things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
A 4n1 wont even compare to a grapple when it comes to moving brush and things..
Oh, I hear ya. I think the only way I could justify buying one right now is if someone asked me to do a large brush job. Even then I think there is a couple of places here that have one for rent. Right now I'm happy with the set-up I got. If I buy anything more for the dingo it will be a tiller or soil cultivator. Even then though I can rent that for the time being.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Go Away.

Raining again, but we were drying out pretty good, so it's not a complete disaster. Luckily our part of the state has missed most of the rain that has been falling around the area the past 3 weeks. If you go west of me about two hours, then it gets really soggy in that part of the state.

So this is the mulch job I finished a couple of days ago. My mulch supplier finally got a shipment in so I could finish. It just stunk that I had already started as I couldn't match the mulch with what anybody else had so ultimately I had to wait until the next load came in.

This client is a maintenance client of mine and one of my first regular customers when I moved to this area 5 years ago. She is an interior designer and hasn't been able to figure out exactly what she wants to do with the back-yard. It looks good, but needs more plants to fill it in. This lady also is the one who referred me to the Farm Account that I did the sidewalk/maintenance on.

The cut edges in the pics look like crud as the guy who mows it doesn't know how to properly maintain it with a string trimmer. I've been trying to get the mowing on this account, but the HO wants to stay loyal to the guy doing it.

Name:  BarbM1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  329.5 KB

Name:  BarbM2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  301.3 KB

Name:  BarbM3.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  383.9 KB

Name:  BarbM4.jpg
Size:  366.9 KB

Name:  BarbM5.jpg
Size:  414.0 KB

Old 06-05-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Life's a Beach!

Here is the new install project in the list of things to get done this year.

The HO wants a 3 foot tall, wooden wall in front of the the rope-swing to help hold the soil back. We discussed a stone wall, but I don't want anyone getting injured on the stone if something goes wrong on the rope swing. So the idea is to do wood, and they can nail some rubber mud flaps, or something similar on the top to keep it a bit safer.

The beach will have a short, natural wall/stone on the corners with lights casting down to help give it some accent lighting. The same natural wall stone will then be used as a border between the beach and sod and be at sod level.

Then once that is done, I have a fire-pit to build and three benches to construct out of natural flagstone.

Also, the HO picked out a really unique Arizona Sandstone flagstone that will used in the path leading from the machine shed/shop out to the beach and along the edging. The flag is just going to be laid in the sod so they can mow over it. I did discuss the maintenance of a path of that nature and they understood what they are going to have to do to keep it looking nice.

The biggest pain of this project is picking the correct materials for the site. I have to keep in consideration that most people will be bare-foot in this area, so the stone I choose needs to be nice to the feet.

My original design had a seating wall all around the beach, but from a distance it looked too heavy in the scenery, and was going to take away the view of the pond from a distance.

Name:  beach1.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  267.2 KB

Name:  beach2.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  290.0 KB

Name:  beach3.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  304.4 KB

Name:  beach4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  321.9 KB

Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about the over 4 inches of rain Springfield got in 90min last week. I was mowing and kept waiting for it to rain, it almost did but I guess the storm sat dormant over Springfield and didn't move.

This season has been extremely stressful for mowing as it seems that almost everday there is a chance for rain. But for some reason I have only been completly rained out once, but I do only mow two to three times a week.

You do awesome work! May have to come pay you a visit sometime, maybe even work for free if I ever get a chance just so I can start to learn some of this stuff.