Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Just a little Winter Bump it up.

Getting sick of Snow removal. We had one of our snowiest December on record.

It's a love-hate relationship. I only do it because I made the decision to be a scaper in the summer and I need to make sure I keep money coming in during the winter.

I'm itching to get out and do my early spring cleanup stuff. Only 10 more weeks!
I'm feeling the same way. Just re-branded to kind of match what your image is (not advertising for the mowing, simply pushing the landscape side of things). I am really interested in doing what you're doing -- I just need to learn more! How did you learn how to do that?! I'm thinking about taking an ICPI course -- any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bump.... (Chris, I"ll answer your questions whenever I get some free time)

We are getting, possibly the worst snowfall for our area since the 1800's.......

I really want winter to be over.....

Here is a link to plowsite if anyone is interested in seeing what's going on in the area.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111125&page=19

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

^^Oh yeah,it was very bad here,it was a blizzard.i was busy snowblowing and helping out neighbors.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some photos of the recent snow activities.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

at least you have the tools to do it.

truck still looks great now you have done the work to it.

have not been on your thread for a while. we are gearing up for the ending of winter as our work typically starts in 4 weeks. getting last minute things taken care of and beginning to market soon.

been leveling the decks this week to account for tire wear. it makes a huge difference. i found my decks 1/4 on average too low from tire wear
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
at least you have the tools to do it.

truck still looks great now you have done the work to it.

have not been on your thread for a while. we are gearing up for the ending of winter as our work typically starts in 4 weeks. getting last minute things taken care of and beginning to market soon.

been leveling the decks this week to account for tire wear. it makes a huge difference. i found my decks 1/4 on average too low from tire wear
The paint has held up fairly well on the dump bed. It is starting to rust in a few places again, but that's to be expected when I've had salt sitting it in practically the entire season. That and I have had only one chance to wash it this winter as it's been relentless.

I've still got a good 6 weeks until I really get started. If you get a good snow melt in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to go ahead and do early spring cleanup stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.

Normally this time of year I'm done with my winter busy work, and that definitively hasn't been the case this year. I'll be lucky to get started on it soon.

As for the equipment, yes, very fortunate to have the tools I need. The mini skid proved invaluable after the 12.5 inches we got. It cleaned up some really small lots I do, and was even more awesome on sidewalk detail.

Thanks for Chiming in Grassman! Good to hear from ya! Hope your next season is looking good.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice pics,like your fleet for plowing.the vermeer is kool.nice see you still use the old shovel and snowblower on few accounts since i dont have a truck or plow,thats what i use and gets thee job done.until the truck comes later on this year.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
Nice pics,like your fleet for plowing.the vermeer is kool.nice see you still use the old shovel and snowblower on few accounts since i dont have a truck or plow,thats what i use and gets thee job done.until the truck comes later on this year.
That driveway is in an older neighborhood in Bloomington, close the the hospital.

1.) barely could get my truck in there if I tried.
2.) Plow is too wide
3.) The mini would have worked for only half of it as the grade is to steep from the house to the street. There was at least an 8' grade change from the bottom of the backdoor to the street.

I did one property that I normally blow (too narrow even for a 6.5 foot plow) half with blower and the front half with the mini. The apron at the front of the drive was newer concrete and an 8" drop over 6 feet. A couple of times I was afraid I was going to slide into the busy street. The key was getting a good scrape as you go downhill to get better traction on the pavement.

I started with a blower, and even still blow most of my driveways to keep the heavy truck off of them. In this storm though, most drives got the truck if I could maneuver in them, and I was really surprise at how well Heavy D can turn and push most of the snow off the side of the driveways.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That driveway is in an older neighborhood in Bloomington, close the the hospital.

1.) barely could get my truck in there if I tried.
2.) Plow is too wide
3.) The mini would have worked for only half of it as the grade is to steep from the house to the street. There was at least an 8' grade change from the bottom of the backdoor to the street.

I did one property that I normally blow (too narrow even for a 6.5 foot plow) half with blower and the front half with the mini. The apron at the front of the drive was newer concrete and an 8" drop over 6 feet. A couple of times I was afraid I was going to slide into the busy street. The key was getting a good scrape as you go downhill to get better traction on the pavement.

I started with a blower, and even still blow most of my driveways to keep the heavy truck off of them. In this storm though, most drives got the truck if I could maneuver in them, and I was really surprise at how well Heavy D can turn and push most of the snow off the side of the driveways.
Ok i see then,ok then.Kool then so at least u started like me with a snowblower and shovels,ohh yes for sure on this past storm it was just too hard for the blowers and shovels even some of the little bit bigger blowers,the guy across from me went and bought a 25''blower and still was having a bit of a hard time but mine is so so not a huge one average its kinda like the toro u have but a two stage ariens of the regular 21' size it did pretty good.and that does save alot of time since u got the dump with the meyers plow,do u salt also?
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey White Gardens,
We finally got some snow storms that have been keeping us hopping. I like the plow you have, I'm just using snow blowers, but I mostly do side walks so it works for now. I'm with you, can't wait for spring!!!