Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone using Amsoil Grease?

Anyone using Amsoil Grease? If so how does it compare to the lucas red and tacky? The reason I'm asing is because I like using the small tubes because I can hold the gun and squeeze the trigger all with one hand and I don't think lucas makes the small tubes.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I hate it. The Amsoil grease I bought for my grease gun must separate over time. There was motor oil consistency oil that came out of the grease that I had in the grease gun. It then proceeded to ooze out of the gun and onto my work bench. While it wasn't much (maybe a tablespoon or two), a little bit of the stuff goes a long way and can make a big mess. Also, this was in my basement so it never got hot. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch or if this is typical.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I haven't used any Amsoil grease yet. I'm sure they have some good grease for the spindles but, my new Bob-Cat doesn't have greasable spindles so there's not much need in getting such high quality grease for regular low temp applications.

You can get a larger grease gun that has a pistol grip. Advance Autoparts has a decent one and using with a flexible hose is the only way to go. What ever anyone does don't waste money on a air powered grease gun from Sears. I tried out 2 of their Prefessional series air powered grease guns and the first one never attempted to pump. It only blew air around the trigger and the vent hole. The second new one I got when I exchanged the first new one actually made a ka-thunk ka-thunk sound and pumped about 10 times before it quit and started blowing air like the first one.

I then went to the Sears Craftsman website and looked up the same Prefessional grease gun and the reviews and most of the people who left a review had the same exact experience that I did. I thought the Craftsman name in tools meant it would have some quality but, their grease guns leave a lot to be desired.

After returning the Sears Professional grease gun I looked on Ebay for air powered grease guns and found this guy auctioning off brand new Ingersoll Rand guns for $38 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400044618968
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"

Last edited by Pennington Lawncare; 04-28-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amzoil grease

I use the heavy duty synthetic Amzoil grease. My Scag dealer sells amzoil products also. Have used it on all my Scags I have owned and never had a failure. I have a couple of accounts were my mower is running continuous for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. I have never had it seperate or change consistency. If it has grease fittings it gets Amzoil.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the colored tubes of grease they sell at WalMart (can't remember brand). They have blueish/green tubed 'Marine' grease for severely wet applications or the red colored tube High Temp grease for high RPM/heat apps, I use red grease as it has good moisture resistance as well and I can use it on blade spindles as well as wheel spindles. All in one stop you can get a pump gun and a couple tubes for a good price...no need to spend on grease. If you only need it for wheel spindles then you want something with good staying/pressure ability...which would be Marine grease or a 'StaPlex' type of grease, StaPlex is generally red in color. hth
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
I haven't used any Amsoil grease yet. I'm sure they have some good grease for the spindles but, my new Bob-Cat doesn't have greasable spindles so there's not much need in getting such high quality grease for regular low temp applications.

You can get a larger grease gun that has a pistol grip. Advance Autoparts has a decent one and using with a flexible hose is the only way to go. What ever anyone does don't waste money on a air powered grease gun from Sears. I tried out 2 of their Prefessional series air powered grease guns and the first one never attempted to pump. It only blew air around the trigger and the vent hole. The second new one I got when I exchanged the first new one actually made a ka-thunk ka-thunk sound and pumped about 10 times before it quit and started blowing air like the first one.

I then went to the Sears Craftsman website and looked up the same Prefessional grease gun and the reviews and most of the people who left a review had the same exact experience that I did. I thought the Craftsman name in tools meant it would have some quality but, their grease guns leave a lot to be desired.

After returning the Sears Professional grease gun I looked on Ebay for air powered grease guns and found this guy auctioning off brand new Ingersoll Rand guns for $38 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400044618968

I had the same experience with my Crapsman professional grease gun. There's a trick to make it work, get enough air to it. On a 3/8"hose it won't do a damned thing but make noise. On a 1/2" hose it squirts grease like nobody's business.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I do have 3/8 hose but, I use the T or what ever automotive connectors that have the larger hole through the center to pass more air. Oh well, Ingersoll Rand will hopefully be better and cheaper.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. It looks like its kind of mixed thoughts but I will probably try it. I have never used amsoil in anything so all I know about it is what I hear on here from all of you. Anymore opinions on the Amsoil Grease?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use it. While I can't say if it is bad, because none of my bearings have gone out. I do agree with the post about the grease breaking down into a liquid form and leaking out of the grease gun. It is quite annoying only because you have to wipe down the grease gun everyday before you use it. But aside from that. It seems to be doing it's job.