Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2002, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doing it alone.

I was just wondering how many of you guys do this just by yourself? I do it alone now but would like to get to the point where I just do business stuff like give out bids, pick up supplies etc. Do any of you just do business stuff and send out employees every morning? If so how long did it take you to get to that point? Also I was thinking of trying to get a loan to buy a little shop and a couple of trucks and trailers and mowers and try to get two or three crews going. Has anyone tried that if so how has it worked out so far? Any suggestion or ideas would be great!!! THANKS
Old 03-28-2002, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tell us about ur customer base. do u have a need to get multiple trucks and crews? there are many guys who have a couple dozen custumers if not more and do it alone. as for a show that would be a good idea.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

branching out

I currently run a small maintenance business with 4 employees, this is my 7th year in business on my own. I run 2 two-man crews for maintenance and we work together for clean-ups and larger jobs. I was able to get off the truck in mid 2000 when I had two capable drivers. Now my time is split between meeting with clients, estimating, billing, and "business stuff". I will also follow up and check on the crews, help them as needed, and take care of small detail work. Despite the headaches associated with me not being on every job, I am happier now than before. I can more or less work in the field when I want to.
As far as your ideas of getting a shop and more equipment and crews, I would take it slow. Get used to having one crew on their own without you. When that's perfected, start a small second crew, and build up gradually as you feel comfortable. Good luck to you. Mike