Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

lime stone

Ok I've been installing ponds for over 10 years and i have a customer that likes the look of flat outcropping lime stone but i've heard that using lime stone in a pond will spike up the ph so high that you have a hard time lowering it, i know koi like a little bit of ph but also heard it causes large algae blooms I'm no chemist can anybody shine some light on this subject?

Jeff
Pondering Waters, MI
Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Limestone will give you hard water so I would think you could just add a water softner, just like on my well at home that is pulling water from a limestone aquifer (Castle Hayne). I was going to try to explain the difference between hard water and pH but found a better answer via google and an aquarium message board:
While water hardness and pH do not necessarily go hand-in-hand they often follow a trend in that hard water usually has a high pH while soft water has a low pH. This is the result of the fact that many dissolved minerals will inhibit the presence of free hydrogen ions one way or another. However, this is only a generality. In truth, you can have extremely hard water that is equally extremely acidic or vice versa.

Also, soft water tends to have a more dynamic pH than hard water. In other words, since soft water doesn't contain many dissolved minerals, its pH changes more easily than the pH of hard water. (Again, generality)

Hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on your post, I am assuming that the limestone will only be used for the waterfall. The most important question is the capacity of the pond where this waterfall will be installed. If it is a large pond 4000+ gallons, there should not be a real problem. Anything smaller than 4000 gallons could present a problem which increases the smaller you get. Limestone can be beneficial in buffering the pH of the water. Koi will usually adapt to most any pH between 6.0 and 8.5, the key is to control wide swings in pH levels during a daily cycle. It would help if you knew which type of limestone it is. If it is calcite or dolomite, you are probably OK if the Pond is large enough.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I would rather stick with sandstone, but as hard as I try to convince my customers of that too, 30% of my installs are flat limestone. they're is plenty of it around here if I might say since I live in KY. Anyways most of the limestone we use is weathered which gives us little to no problems. Last year I installed a formal pond with 6" limestone veneers which you have to use mortar, another ph problem. You can use muratic acid on veneers and mortar but be very careful!! I'll post some pics of some flat limestone ponds I've done which hasn't given me any problems. The pic with the three seperate waterfalls was the second pond I had installed.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is the pic of the formal with 6" veneers.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStream Aquatics View Post
Here is the pic of the formal with 6" veneers.
I like your style... That is some pretty stuff!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Oss landscapes View Post
I like your style... That is some pretty stuff!
+1

tencharacters