Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2002, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

ExMark or Bunton walk behinds?

I cannot decide on which walk-behind mower to go with? Either the Exmark turf tracer, Exmark 48 Viking, or the 52 Bunton hydro.
My partner has a Bunton and cuts better than any I have seen.
Any suggestions? Also, I landed an industrial contract and they have announced they will be closing in two months, they assure me that it wont effect our verbal agreement, anyone been in this position before?thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Which color do you like better ? green or read ? which color is money ? ahhh got ya there ? eh anywho both great machines my new bunton hydro runs flawless. Same with exmarks. Take your pick im sure the bunton is a bit cheaper.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bunton Guy, We don't have a Bunton dealer here but we do have a Bob-Cat dealer. Is there any difference beween the Bunton and the Bob-Cat besides the shade of green?
Old 03-28-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have tried both, and they both may cut about the same. But, I also looked at how well built they were and I leaned toward the exmark. Also, look at your local dealer. Is he ready to help you at a moments notice? What are the other guys using? Ask them there opinion. I know I was a Gravely man for years but then finally turned to Exmark.. One Lazer, Exmark hydro 48, and a Gravely 50... Good Luck....
Old 03-28-2002, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony they are both the same.....only difference is like you said color and the top deck cover that goes over the belts are shaped different but could be switched. most all of the parts are interchangeable being that they are both built by Textron.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first commercial wb was a 1986 Bunton belt 36". It was the only one I had demoed. Big mistake. Bunton sure as h--- must have improved their product over the one I had. You had to push it to get through slightly wet grass, and discharge -- there really wasn't any. Constant clumps. Bunton support was so poor, they would not call me or write back to discuss the horrible performance I was getting with the machine. I sent them a letter explaining my distaste for their terrible customer relations. Guess what? No response to that either. That is no way to run any company.

Exmark will take the time to discuss any problems you may be having, at their expense (that has been my experience). They even called me long distance to discuss changes in their mowers I had e-mailed them about, when they introduced floating decks.

Exmark for me.

48" Exmark Turf Tracer w/ Proslide XT -- for sale in Spring!
Tanaka 600 Edger
2 Tanaka 230 Trimmer
Makita 4 stroke equipment
Gravely 100 ProTurn 48"
Toro 48" T-bar w/ Proslide will be on the trailer in Spring 2012!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why you never deal with bunton or any company directly....find a reputable dealer. discuss things with the dealer and they will help you out.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a lot of the old Buntons in my day and if they could duplicate the 1989 36" again or the Goodall version of a 52" in 91 along that would be great. They cut great and I could'nt count the times someone would come to work for me and say those mowers handled and were balanced so even. The new ones (BOBCAT) are nothing like the old Louisville design. I liked the mid '90's hydro's they had for ease of operation but they don't cut like a Scag. The old ones did. The handle bars on Buntons also were positioned very nice.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you haven't seen an exmark cut. The blade speed on the Bunyton isn't as high. Which directly relates to the cut.

Sorry guys but your compairing a Hyndai to a Corvette.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

:blob3: EXMARK IS ALL I RUN NOW. I have tried Scag, Bobcat and Walker and I find that Exmark Lazers are great. I just recently bought a new Exmark Metro HP (belt) w/ a Kawasaki 15hp. It is great. I am a big fan of Exmark. They are dependable, well built machines that are contractor tuff.