Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Florida, in 1 month you can't apply fert's, solutions please

In florida statewide there is a N and P ban from June 1 to Sept 30, You can't possibly sit on your hands and stay in business, what are you using to continue maintenance on your customers sites

Did anyone do trials last year to see what had a good possibility of working?

We have spoken with several landscape companies that tried a 0-0-24, the comment back is typically, "it was probably was not worth the cost and time"

I am obviously going somewhere with this, I was hoping to hear what you guys are going to do
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ict

But you list N on the package so you can't even apply ICT???????? AACT you new product. Delivered in a semi fresh with lots of nemo's and protozoa???????
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would be interesting to have a lawyer go over the exact language going into effect and determine if non guaranteed analysis soil amendments can go down.
Im guessing they can, I mean all topsoil has some amount of non guaranteed NPK in it what are they going to say you cant install soil?

All this will do is do away with the NPK certification process, everyone will create soil amendments and not disclose the actual npk in them. Just a hunch.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
It would be interesting to have a lawyer go over the exact language going into effect and determine if non guaranteed analysis soil amendments can go down.
Im guessing they can, I mean all topsoil has some amount of non guaranteed NPK in it what are they going to say you cant install soil?

All this will do is do away with the NPK certification process, everyone will create soil amendments and not disclose the actual npk in them. Just a hunch.
Every soil amendment, fertilizer, etc for sale in FL has to have a third party analysis accepted by the state and be stated on the label and it must be regesistered

The state regulators have and are doing a great job, overwhelming but still a great job IMHO
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

compost is exempt and if you do a soil test you can have an exception, next is the fact that most of the time we have all the P you need its just locked away... so get the herd to open it up, now back the the N, well no I am not going there where the heck is Kiril with that N cycle pic again, WTF dont any one get the fact that Wood will feed the N makers, so mulch your lawns with some old mulch, or kill the stupid things and use some natives like Bahia, dont cut them so often or plant some clover?????? or peanuts. and is nitrite in that ban????

thanks to the state for selling my services to the rest of the lemmings
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Every soil amendment, fertilizer, etc for sale in FL has to have a third party analysis accepted by the state and be stated on the label and it must be regesistered

The state regulators have and are doing a great job, overwhelming but still a great job IMHO
Can I still edit that? I do believe it was the evil Bill, it is a mess. The reason I brought it up was ...............does anyone have a clue how to procede????
Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

walk a fine line in the sand or........... maybe its time to step up and take a poke at the dog???? hard to say what will happen, this may or may not hurt or help organics in FL but so far it comes down to fix the soil in the first place then your in the clear for the summer months.

hey lets say it like this your cows(grass) needs to eat all winter(summer) so you need to put up hay(nutrients ) for when you cant grow hay(fertilize in summer) that way your not SOL come the winter( summer ). other than the starter compost and some tea I have lawns that are Green all summer and with all my trees at the farm may just farm all summer in the shade with NO fert..........
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I want an organic farm someday, always have... well since I was ten. U r a good example/inspiration tree.

Sorry this might be off topic, but I wonder... what logic motivated this fertilizer ban? What do they expect to see by banning those ferts for one month?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

its called run off, some BS about P mobility and N in the water with the red tide and all. see us tree hugger went and cried to the state that the rivers are green and dead fish and all, never mind the fact that the drainage is all man made. so they want to take a shot at what is easiest to control the people and all that.......

http://www.indianriverkeeper.org/
Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
never mind the fact that the drainage is all man made.
http://www.indianriverkeeper.org/
And if it wasn't for the canals in FL almost the entire state would be underwater.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."