Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Christian Brothers Christian Brothers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Humboldt, TN
Posts: 36
weed and feed? granules or liquid

i would like to know what you guys opinions are on the preference of liquid or granular weed and feeds for lawns. fertilizers, weed control, pesticides, herbicides, sprays or spreaders you name it. im trying to decide to either go with an all liquid or all granular approach to weed and feed for turf care. i prefer, as of right now, all liquid. i go with all natural as well. i dont use any synthetics. therefore no license is required as long as all the active and inert ingredients are on the EPA exempt list. (25b and 4A)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM
mngrassguy mngrassguy is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maple Grove, Mn
Posts: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brothers View Post
.... i dont use any synthetics. therefore no license is required as long as all the active and inert ingredients are on the EPA exempt list. (25b and 4A)
WRONG. In most states, you need a license to apply ANY pesticide, organic or not. Also, there is no such thing as an organic pesticide. Weed n feeds are synthetic and don't work well. Period.

If you don't use synthetics, your in the wrong forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
bx24 bx24 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MA/TX
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngrassguy View Post
WRONG. In most states, you need a license to apply ANY pesticide, organic or not. Also, there is no such thing as an organic pesticide. Weed n feeds are synthetic and don't work well. Period.

If you don't use synthetics, your in the wrong forum.

I agree and that is lawns OTHER then your own. If you own lawn, you can apply whatever you have.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
LushGreenLawn's Avatar
LushGreenLawn LushGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
I agree and that is lawns OTHER then your own. If you own lawn, you can apply whatever you have.
His post was referencing the post above his. There no mention of it being the posters lawn.

He is right about having to have a license to apply any type of weed killer. If you are applying anything, and telling a customer it will kill any type of pest, including weeds, you need a license.

If you spit on a weed, and tell the customer it was to kill the weed, you need an application license.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 PM
bx24 bx24 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MA/TX
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
His post was referencing the post above his. There no mention of it being the posters lawn.

He is right about having to have a license to apply any type of weed killer. If you are applying anything, and telling a customer it will kill any type of pest, including weeds, you need a license.

If you spit on a weed, and tell the customer it was to kill the weed, you need an application license.
Again I agree but the org post did not say other lawns but his...Just says lawns..That could mean other things.

If he has more then (1) property (aka his own property/lawns) he can apply whatever he wants on his own property.

But I see ZERO license people in TX daily....Been that way for years.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Whitey4's Avatar
Whitey4 Whitey4 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brothers View Post
i would like to know what you guys opinions are on the preference of liquid or granular weed and feeds for lawns. fertilizers, weed control, pesticides, herbicides, sprays or spreaders you name it. im trying to decide to either go with an all liquid or all granular approach to weed and feed for turf care. i prefer, as of right now, all liquid. i go with all natural as well. i dont use any synthetics. therefore no license is required as long as all the active and inert ingredients are on the EPA exempt list. (25b and 4A)
If you don't want to use any man made controls.... go to the organic forum... and yes, if you apply CGM as a crab grass preventative, you still need to be certified.

An "organic" weed and feed... now I've heard it all.
__________________
Just me and Badger the beer dog!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Christian Brothers Christian Brothers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Humboldt, TN
Posts: 36
this is part of an ongoing e-mail i had with Edward Burgess. Who is Ph.D.Extension Coordinator, PSEP Coordinator, Livestock & Tobacco Entomologist University of Tennessee Dept. of Entomology & Plant Pathology. Which is in the state of tennessee so he may have just been referring to this state but the E.P.A guidlines are there for the whole country. If you read below you can see that he states as long as the product ONLY contains the ingredients on the 25b exempt list which is active ingredients and 4a which is inactive ingredients then you do not need a license. and as for the comments about no such thing as organic weed and feed. maybe i should've used the word "natural". If i kill weeds using products that only contain natural ingredients such as Premerge (which prevents weed seeds from germinating) or Burnout ll (which kill the weed root and all) and these are both natural. Premerge is simply corn gluten and Burnout ll is made of vinegar and natural plant oils plus other natural ingredients and if i use bio-enhanced fertilizers which are also made the same way, all natural ingredients and if i use compost or mulch to smother weeds and return natural nutrients to the soil and other things as well then i have a natural and organic weed and feed program. these products and more info can be found at these web sites. www.backto-nature.com and www.natureslawn.com. we run an all natural, all organic, chemical free, land and lawn care business. i've done extensive studies on everything to what is right and wrong. i'm not saying i'm right but from what i've researched i'm not wrong. i didnt post the forum to debate. i just wanted opinions. i dont criticize anyone for using harmful chemicals the kill microbes and organisms that nature uses to do exactly what we try to do with weed and feed programs. i thought we were supposed to help each other out. i guess i am in the wrong forum afterall.




The weed control would have to be on the EPA 25b exempt list, otherwise alicense would be needed.

Edward E. (Gene) Burgess, Ph.D.Extension Coordinator, PSEP Coordinator, Livestock & Tobacco EntomologistUniversity of TennesseeDept. of Entomology & Plant Pathology2431 Joe Johnson Drive, Rm 205 PSBKnoxville, TN 37996-4560Office 865/974-7138Fax 865/974-8868gburgess1@utk.edu

michael clayton <claytonmichael@h otmail.com> To <gburgess1@utk.edu> 04/29/2009 01:17 cc PM Subject RE: license?????

even if its chemical free? all organic or natural?

> From: gburgess1@utk.edu> Subject: Re: license?????> To: claytonmichael@hotmail.com> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:58:49 -0400>>

You need a license if you apply a herbicide and charge a fee, whether itis> impregnated in a fertilizer of not.>>>>

Edward E. (Gene) Burgess, Ph.D.> Extension Coordinator, PSEP Coordinator, Livestock & Tobacco Entomologist> University of Tennessee> Dept. of Entomology & Plant Pathology> 2431 Joe Johnson Drive, Rm 205 PSB> Knoxville, TN 37996-4560> Office 865/974-7138> Fax 865/974-8868> gburgess1@utk.edu>>>> michael clayton> <claytonmichael@h> otmail.com> To> <gburgess1@utk.edu>> 04/28/2009 10:17 cc> PM> Subject> license?????>>>>>>>>>>>

if you have an all in one organic fertilizer/weed spray do you still needa> license? if i don't use that do i need 2 seperate licenses forfertilizing> and weed control or just for weed control?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Christian Brothers Christian Brothers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Humboldt, TN
Posts: 36
every man has his own thing. ours is natural and organic. eco-friendly
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brothers View Post
i would like to know what you guys opinions are on the preference of liquid or granular weed and feeds for lawns. fertilizers, weed control, pesticides, herbicides, sprays or spreaders you name it. im trying to decide to either go with an all liquid or all granular approach to weed and feed for turf care. i prefer, as of right now, all liquid. i go with all natural as well. i dont use any synthetics. therefore no license is required as long as all the active and inert ingredients are on the EPA exempt list. (25b and 4A)
I prefer liquid weed control and granular fertilizers and to apply them at different times. Synthetics do not require a license here, pesticides do. I am a big believer in both.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Christian Brothers Christian Brothers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Humboldt, TN
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I prefer liquid weed control and granular fertilizers and to apply them at different times. Synthetics do not require a license here, pesticides do. I am a big believer in both.
i appreciate your attention to the original post. thats all i wanted to know. who preferred what. thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fertilizer , granular , herbicide , liquid , weed and feed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.11524 seconds with 7 queries