Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post
1) concentrated acetic acid (vinegar) an organic herbicide, can cause blindness if accidentally splashed in the eyes.
So does hot water, a rock flung from an edger, a finger. I am curious though, what concentration specifically will cause blindness?

Quote:
2) From my research "leaves" and other organic material left on pavement and washed into storm drains contributes to more significant Phosphate runoff in waste water than properly applied synthetic fertilizers.
If you state research, then please present it. With respect to leaves ... not relevant to the discussion, unless you want to rid the earth of plants.

Quote:
3) IMO, some of the newer synthetic herbicides, such as carfentrazone-ethyl and mesotrione are less dangerous than working with the "organic" alternatives.
Once again a statement with no basis in fact. Please present your evidence, or even a valid, logical argument in support of your statement.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brothers View Post
i dont think i would mix them all together but it sounds cool anyway. what do you think about all that, professionally?
Forget the bottled and bagged wonder products .... compost does a soil good!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Agreed. Recently discussed here.
it was just interesting. i thought the same way when i first heard about it. if you guys want you can see for yourselves at www.backto-nature.com and www.natureslawn.com
Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Forget the bottled and bagged wonder products .... compost does a soil good!
Kiril

Don't be so sure. Compost can be very Hydrophobic and can kill field capacity. The quality of your amendment is very important. Humus Peat is hydrophilic and can be a better choice in many conditions.

Bridging between Orgasmic and Synthetic can give the best of both worlds if done correctly. This is the 21th Century, learn to use what modern technology has given us.

BTW I am Semi Retired and only work part time. Do you have a real job, or is Lawnsite paying you to be on here 24/7.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Don't be so sure. Compost can be very Hydrophobic and can kill field capacity.
Give me an example of a hydrophobic compost and define field capacity and how a hydrophobic compost might influence it.

Quote:
The quality of your amendment is very important.
I agree for the most part.

Quote:
Humus Peat is hydrophilic and can be a better choice in many conditions.
Give me specific reasons why it is better. I can give you several very specific reason why it is not .... not sustainable and high cost.

Quote:
Bridging between Orgasmic and Synthetic can give the best of both worlds if done correctly. This is the 21th Century, learn to use what modern technology has given us.
Correct ... and I do recommend bridge programs in certain situations, with the end goal of completely eliminating the need for synthetics.

The whole "program" mentality simply needs to go away. Sites should be managed based on REAL need, not a perceived one.

We (and nature) got along just fine before synthetics Ric ... or would you care to argue that there was no such thing as landscapes before synthetics got pushed down our throats.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril

You are a poor over educated Fool with no common sense.

Any Text Book will tell you Field Capacity is the amount of moisture left after free drainage has occurred. I was expecting you would understand industry terminology. Oh well!!!

Where as Conservation of water is part of the GREEN MOVEMENT Once again I was giving you more credit than you deserve by expecting you to understand the terms Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic. Hydrophobic means the repelling of water while Hydrophilic means the attraction of water. Since many areas have both a rain season and a dry season the ability of a soil to hold water or have a high Field Capacity should be a concern of any Tree Hugger.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brothers View Post
it was just interesting. i thought the same way when i first heard about it. if you guys want you can see for yourselves at www.backto-nature.com and www.natureslawn.com
This is just a link to a page pushing the products for sale. Your taking the snake oil salesmans advice that its not snake oil. Please post a link to the University Study that backs up the information provided.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guy called in for an estimate Saturday. (referred by next door neighbor). I showed up Monday morning. He said, "I didn't know you would show up so soon". Turned out he applied Scotts weed & feed on Sunday morning. I saw the tiny white granules he applied. Some dandies were dying, but most were unaffected. He also had clover, speedweel, henbit, and knotweed that were totally unaffected.

Bottom line - I told him to let us know how his app worked. My guess is poor at best. Maybe he'll call -- maybe he won't. But what he applied ain't gunna do the job. Plus he overloaded on the edges bigtime (only areas where the dandies were dying). Time to hire a pro.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You are a poor over educated Fool with no common sense.
Leave it to you to attempt hide the fact you are talking out of your ass with insults.

FYI, I know what the terms mean Ric, but thank you for demonstrating, like everyone else here, that when asked to back up their ignorant baseless comments about organics, they can't..

Bravo Ric, Bravo.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just curious...if you, Kiril, are so into organics, why does it seem you are always giving "us" a hard time - there is a section for you. Do what you do and we'll do what we do.

As for nature, do you really know how anything we do as humans affects nature? I just heard the other day that "scientist" are now saying we may be headed for a mini-ice age, much like one experienced from 1300 to 1800. Can someone please tell me WTF happened to global warming? It's always something, and it always seems to be generated by a tree hugger or a democrat.

Tags
fertilizer , granular , herbicide , liquid , weed and feed