Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2002, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Open mouth insert foot

OK guy's I'm willing to make myself look like really dumb. Now, please help me. I've had bobcat, scag, toro and exmark walk behinds. Two years ago I decided there must be a better way than levers and whatever in a walk behind. By accident I found Hustler walk behinds. The question is, since I've had and used the other brands, and still watch guy's still struggle with them, why do I seem to be the only guy that finds the Hustlers so much better than any other walk behind and less expensive, too. Thanks, or maybe not.
Pete
For Pete's Sake
Old 03-28-2002, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're right on.

Hustler makes a great WB (And great ZTR's for that matter!)

Their dealership/distributorship network sucks. Period.

I don't know by you, but Exmark/Toro/Bobcat have the dealers and they've got their products IN FRONT of their buyers.

Magazine ads are nice, but people buy what they can physically test, use and look over.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plain and simple everone one is different on handling, performance ect. My choice is Toro T-Bar becuse I have real short fingers and cant reach the levers very well but you will see another running a Scag or Exmark and say that machine suits THEM!! best so it comes down to if you like the Hustlers best for yourself by ALL MEANS purchase it for its the machine making you$$$$$ and if your comfortable on that machine and making $$$$ you cant loose!
Old 03-29-2002, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

short fingers

Brian,
Join the club. However, that's one of the reasons I love the Hustler. Since it has no levers, it makes absolutely no difference the size of your hands. Naturally, without any levers, there's no impact on any part of your hand. Furthermore, you can turn either handle with one hand, and the machines goes straight forward, without any need to make the machine track straight. Turning is as simple as turning/pulling the handle like a bicycle. If you want to slow the machine, just twist the handle backwards, with just one hand, and the machine slows, always tracking straight.
How much easier can zero turning at the end of a pass be than to reach the end of the row, twist the handle backward til it automatically stops (spring loaded), and then just pull the handle right or left, and watch the mower execute a perfect non marring zero turn, as you watch one wheel go forward and the other go backward at the exact same speed. Let the handle return (spring loaded) to it's center position, and then just twist the handle forward again, and you're off mowing, tracking straight ahead.
Maybe I better keep quiet , otherwise you guy's may learn my secret and start stealin' my customers
Old 03-29-2002, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much do one of them puppies cost and what deck sizes are available?
Old 03-29-2002, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my Lazer Hp last month, my dealer had just got a Hustler Super Z in. I checked it out and chose to stay with Exmark. It seemed like a pretty nice machine, but I stuck with what I was used to and had good luck with... Exmark. I think I probally would have done ok either way, I don't know. The Hustler was about $1000.00 more than the 52" Hp.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a Hustler 48 WB and I love it,You cant beat the controls.I paid 3100.00 for a demo with 2.5 hrs on it.You would never know it was ever used.I cant understand how anybody could squeeze those levers all day long and not get tired.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Upstate Mike

Mike,
Do we dare tell everyone the Hustler doesn't have any "safety" switch handle to hold, either. That's really gotta be the worst, having that darn stupid extra handle to squeeze. Also, since the machine detents to the stop position from forward speed, and then automatically spring returns to the stop position from reverve, you can manuever forward and backward instantly and smoothly, all the while tracking perfectly straight, and with just one hand. Golly, I'm getting so excited, I think I need to go out and mow the backyard, in the dark.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

upstate mike, After squeezing those handles for a few years youll get used to them... I am quite comfortable with the traditional levels... Safteys ??? they dont require any effort to squeeze ??? I feel more in control of the machine with old style levers, used some newer ones and didnt like em, sent them back... More things to go wrong with and more costly repairs... I'll stick to my belts on the W/B's
Old 03-29-2002, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chris

Yup, I felt the same way about staying with my belts. But since I changed, and started making 20% more an hour, with no more calususes or cramped tired hands, I kicked myself for waiting so long.
Pete
For Pete's Sake