Register free!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Arizona Midiron seed?

I've been searching around the Internet and on this website, but I have not found anyone selling just seed, or any information for adding seed to fill and patch. Actually, I haven't found much information about Midiron care beyond the basics. I had it going well last year, but it is coming back slow this year and I'm not sure what to do.

Here are a few pictures of the yard.

Couple things I would apprecite recommendations on:

- You can see the color is uneven (deep green in some areas and yellow in others). Is this a watering issue or possibly needing more iron in my lawn feedings?

- How do I fix patches if seed is not available, or what seed do I use?

- Any other thoughts.

This was last year, which you can see how full this came back after winter and that has been normal the last 3 years since I installed it. So this years patching and lack of fullness has me worried.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a soil sample and have it tested. It only cost a few bucks and will save you a lot of guess work and headaches.

You desperately need to change your mowing habits. The last picture shows you cutting waaaay to much grass of at one time. You are stressing the lawn. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the leaf. This usually means mowing twice a week for fertilized bermuda. Stop bagging the clippings if at all possible.

You don't need seed. Healthy bermuda will spread a foot in no time.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartin View Post
Take a soil sample and have it tested. It only cost a few bucks and will save you a lot of guess work and headaches.

You desperately need to change your mowing habits. The last picture shows you cutting waaaay to much grass of at one time. You are stressing the lawn. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the leaf. This usually means mowing twice a week for fertilized bermuda. Stop bagging the clippings if at all possible.

You don't need seed. Healthy bermuda will spread a foot in no time.
Thanks for the reply.The picture noted was of the first mow of the season when going from winter rye. I normally take the yard down as low as the rotary mower goes, hit a heavy weed and feed, then let the bermuda grow for a few weeks with deep watering. That seems to have re-established the yard well. During the summer months I mow once a week and alternate bagging and leaving clippings.

I'll do the soil sample, but where do you take it? I wouldn't think the big box home improvement stores offer that service.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would suspect the brown spots are from dying rye the uneven green I would guess is from moisture content in the soil. You are probably on the brink of not enough water. The green is lower or more clay if you boost the water run time by a few minutes you will probably solve the problem. Use a screwdriver to see how wet it is from the green to the brown spots I bet you will find the brown spots wont let the screwdriver penetrate as far.

Call Lance at Ewing 602-625-8473 that is his cell. He does not work at a single store he floats and deals specifically with turf and fertilizer, at least he did before the economy went into the tank. He will have your seed if it is available. Just keep in mind he represents a wholesale company so you will most likely be forced to buy more than you want because they are not geared toward homeowner sales.

We also have not heated up enough for the Bermuda to take off like in years past. For the soil test if you want, Motz labs at 52nd st and Broadway 602-454-2376 but I would'nt waste the time. Your PH will be high and your organic content will be low.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”

Last edited by Az Gardener; 05-03-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe Midiron is only available as sod. The below site mentions that EZ Turf Midiron is a sterile hybrid. There might be a seed that produces a similar looking grass, but I don't know what it is. Your lawn will thicken like crazy when the growing conditions are right.

From what I read, fertilizers with ammonium sulfate are good in your area because the PH tends to be high as AZ mentions. Lebanon sales a 19-0-19 that contains ammonium sulfate, a good form of potassium, and 3% iron that some members in Texas really brag about. The nitogen is mostly slow release. It should help you obtain that dark green color that you desire.

http://turf.arizona.edu/tips203%20.htm

http://www.lebturf.com/index.cfm?fus...etails&pid=601

Tags
arizona , midiron , seed