Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

zoysia seed questions

I have a project coming up soon, the client wants to checker lay zoysia sod, and i offered mention of spreading zoysia seed out as well(thinking it may help spread the grass). Now, i would like some information and/or links on spreading it, price, success, etc. also any opinions or comments welcome! thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia seed usually does not match the sod. Two different varieties of zoysia in a lawn will look peculiar because of the differing growth rates, leaf textures and color. Over here, large areas of lawn are stolonized with shredded sod that is topped with hydromulch or compost. Of course, forget seeds or stolons if the lawn does not have an irrigation system.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't checker lay sod. It will be so rough that you will not want to mow it and the edges will be scalped all the time. The lawn will look like terrible!

If they can't afford a solid sod job, I would prepare the soil, cut the sod into 3" squares, and plant the squares as soil level. The sod will go much further (less money on sod) and the resulting lawn will be smooth. The only downside is the extra labor.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I will also be extending an existing irrigation system, the sod i lay will also be an extension on his existing yard..where would i be able to find the stolonized shredded sod? a sod farm or local supply? also the checker pattern isnt an issue, he's a relative and i told him to mow it on like 3.25" and fertilize regularly, also i plan on letting those stations run for 10 or so minutes longer as they are in full sun.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he can't afford solid sod, cut some sod plugs out of the big pieces of sod that come on a pallet. You can use a hatchet. How bid of an area is this.

I just got through laying some Empire zoysia this way. Sod farms in my area don't sell Empire, but Lowe's had it. A little bit went a long way.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

several different areas...area 1 4305 sq ft, area 2 2354 sq ft, area 3 1920 sq ft, area 4 is on a hill but its 3568 sq ft, and area 5 is 8711 sq ft
Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

ive decided with the owner to use seed, what is the best way going about getting the seed and putting it out?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Zoysia seed will take 3-5 years to fill in under proper growing conditions and adequate watering and fertilizing. Someone will have to stay on it to keep it growing. Spraying it with fungicides to ward off rust and insects. Zoysia Japonica sp. makes a particular type of seed (can't recall), but to get it established, isn't practical in today's methods. Most Zoysia grass is established vegetatively by stolonizing or by plugs. Either way, it will take forever getting it to fill in unless you go by the square yard of cut sod.
Can you find any Palisades Zoysia in your area.?
Empire is sold at Lowe's usually in short bursts and not always kept on stock.. It dies too quick on the pallet after cutting in the spring and summer. It can't sit on the pallet more than 3 days or it will burn to nothing and stink.
Do you not have access to a local nursery or grower around you!?