Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

SolidFlex Brawler Tires

Well I did it. I my beefy babies where looking a little thin, and before going to buy a spare too I decided to avoid the whole issue and go for these.

They can be re-treaded at a substantial savings at which point you can pick one of MANY tread designs. As you know the life is 3-5times that of regular tires so by about the 3 retread you are WAAAYYY ahead of the game.

I have looked at all of them out there. I IMHO think these ones are among the best out there. Partly because they are chemically bonded to the rim, so no spinning rim action....it is this design choice that infact allows the re-tread. the holes are HUGELY deep and are infact HUGE. they are oval, which is interesting, so when they flex the holes go round and don't tear, whereas round holes deform and turn oval when flexed and then begin to tear...that's bad since that is below the re-tread meat.

I am curious how they will work in winter, I am keeping my beefy babies just for that eventuality since I expect these will get a bit stiff.....

Man these things are aggressive looking. They actually look hot...hehehe

The biggest surprise is the ride quality so far. Very nice, rides about like a foam filled.....but that's a nice trade off since it get's rid of that beach ball feel I hate so much when the buckets in the air. Much more solid for sure on the ground because you don't get that pneumatic compression or bounce over uneven ground. It's not a punishing ride but it's more firm. My 246C air ride seat eats up any other complaints.

It also ads I think about 900lbs to the unit, and right down low, so it sure feels more stable.

Certainly a negative right now is that they are harder on grass so practice up those really clean 3 point turns. Also our minus 30C winter might make the tires a hair firm so the contact patch will shrink a bit, however the extra weight and aggressive tread may make up for that. Time will tell.

I did a couple turns on pavement to see how they scrub off....well, instead of the lateral scrap marks that denote lost material, the tread looks smoother. Certainly appears to be harder wearing.

I will post some pics tomorrow....the machine looks hot with them on.

All in all I am very pleased so far, but it will require more testing to render a final verdict.

I believe retreading is about 275 cdn per tire. that's cheap, so I think this should work out fine. and yous still get the extended wear etc.

Here is a link to some info if you are interested. It's a video. http://www.mitl.info/solidTires.do?r...dFlexTireVideo

Interesting, the video says it's about a 37% better ride than foam filled...hmm...time will tell on that one, but so far I am pleased.....

Last edited by BigDigger; 05-03-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like them they seem better then the foam filled. I hate foam filled and have thought about these swiss cheese tires and what they could do. They look like they will give a little more then foam filled and get a better bite on the ground for traction more like a air filled tire does.

http://www.mclarenusa.com/nu-air/nu-...-backhoes.html

These are the ones I looked at and thought about buying for one of my brothers machines on the farm that I rent from him when work gets busy.
M-istake
A-merica

Buck Ofama

2002 Chevy 3500 D/A
2008 Takeuchi TL130
2008 18' Cam Superline Overdeck Trailer
Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I looked at those too. They look a bit squishier then the brawlers however the holes are round.....meaning they tend to tear over time and 2 they are not bonded to the rim....so no retreading.....which is less expensive then just replacing tires on the Mclarens.

And I must say, the Mclarens have lots of holes, which is cool, but the brawlers are positively huge.....that's a BIG tire, though it's hard to get that perspective from video.

If you get those Mclarens let me know what you think of them.....I was very interested in those.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks interesting. I want to know how they do in the winter.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ordered a machine with them on it and started stocking them. I think people will start replacing with them if they ever start making money again.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just became a dealer for them.....I doubt I will see much action, but as time goes on I think they will get more popular.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDigger View Post
I just became a dealer for them.....I doubt I will see much action, but as time goes on I think they will get more popular.
Well mister dealer I have a question. Do these rims have a factory offset to allow running OTT without spacers? Give me a quote for 12X16.5 hopefully with the CASE factory offset for a 465.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Well mister dealer I have a question. Do these rims have a factory offset to allow running OTT without spacers? Give me a quote for 12X16.5 hopefully with the CASE factory offset for a 465.
Excellent question,

I will look into that.

Are you in Canada? As I recall you are not. THAT will be the bugger for you.

I PM'd you the price.

Last edited by BigDigger; 05-04-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

KSSS, the Brawlers come in a standard 12x16.5 with 8x8 pattern, so they are not made to exact specs of your machine. Rather, they are offset so that one side of the rim is deeper than the other to maximize the universality of the tires. According to my spec sheet, the standard mounting configuration for a Case 465 is deep side in, so you would simply need to mount shallow side in to accommodate OTTs.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereMan85 View Post
KSSS, the Brawlers come in a standard 12x16.5 with 8x8 pattern, so they are not made to exact specs of your machine. Rather, they are offset so that one side of the rim is deeper than the other to maximize the universality of the tires. According to my spec sheet, the standard mounting configuration for a Case 465 is deep side in, so you would simply need to mount shallow side in to accommodate OTTs.
Thats what I was looking for. I have talked other solid tire oems that have the rim mounted so it is equal distance from the center of the tire to the outside of the rim on both sides, that doesn't work for me. This sounds like my factory rim which is offset much the same way. I am 73" wide with the deep side in and like 81-82 with them flipped the other way.

Digger is that Canadian thing an issue? What the hell didn't NAFTA fix all those logistical issues. I see Grain Trains and Bull Racks coming down out of the Alberta and BC all the time. I am sure there are loads of your other CASH crop I don't see coming south without interruption. Cant they send me a set of tires?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.