Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Deereman, do you have anyone running OTT with these tires? I am trying to get past them not warrantying the tires with tracks, everyone else does that I have talked to. Do the tracks tear up the tires somehow?
See my last post. I do not have anyone running OTT with them, but I have heard from other guys that they work great with tracks. Your best bet on the warranty issue is to have your Brawler dealer contact his regional sales rep to determine his stance on warrantied/non-warrantied, as he will likely be the one policing warranty claims on the tires. If he's OK with OTTs, it probably doesn't matter what the director of marketing thinks.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereMan85 View Post
Just got off the phone with our regional sales rep for Galaxy. He says that running tracks will not void the warranty of your tires, but may void the warranty of your skid steer. The reason is that most skid manufacturers have not yet tested their machines with the weight of both the tires and the tracks to determine whether it causes undue wear on the drivetrain. However, he did tell me that a warranty rep from Deere told him that as long as the tracks are not on the machine when it goes in for warranty work, they do not investigate to see if the machine has been used with tracks. So your warranty may be voided, but you can get around that by taking the tracks off your machine before it goes in for warranty work.

I did not see this post, my bad. Looks like I will need to stop and chat with the Deere guys. Well if the machine will run VTS with a combined weight of 3K and running off of one axle, I doubt the combined weight of tracks and solid tires will make much difference.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I did not see this post, my bad. Looks like I will need to stop and chat with the Deere guys. Well if the machine will run VTS with a combined weight of 3K and running off of one axle, I doubt the combined weight of tracks and solid tires will make much difference.
True. However, the difference is that most of the weight with these tires & OTTs rotates on the axle (rotational weight), creating centrifugal force. This creates strain on the drivetrain when quickly starting from a standstill or quickly changing directions (much the same way that putting bigger rims or tires on your vehicle makes braking harder). With VTS, most of the weight is dead weight and does not rotate on the axle. That being said, the rotational weight of these tires and tracks is still probably not any more than you would have with a set of foam-filled tires.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You wanted some, you get some.

RoXolid is not my company name. This is the company I bought the machine from. I am just waiting for my graphics to get done. Free advertising for them I guess

Pics:

Last edited by BigDigger; 05-06-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does have a robot/alien thing going.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah totally man......like a sexy chick robot.....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDigger View Post
yeah totally man......like a sexy chick robot.....
Fembot!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well Deere forgot to carry the 1 in their quote for the tires. $3200 for 4. That was too much. I contacted SPW industries. They sell to a lot of the large rental stores in the Country. I wanted a rim that had the OEM offset for running OTT. I don't use the OTT very often but when you need them you need them. So the wheel offset was an issue. They sell a style of rim and tire that looks identical to the Skid Steer Solutions run flat tire. So I played phone tag with McLaren and email tag with SPW. I got McLaren with in arms reach of the SPW's tire. I went with McLaren.

So now if they work like they should, I should see about 2500 hours of wear out of the tires. I better.

The 465 running with 12X16.5 just crushes the rims in these ground conditions. Flats from nails are one thing but bent rims are worse. I should really be running the larger tires on it, its too heavy I think for that size of tire. At any rate its all over. I should see the tires on Thursday.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDigger View Post
Yeah I looked at those too. They look a bit squishier then the brawlers however the holes are round.....meaning they tend to tear over time and 2 they are not bonded to the rim....so no retreading.....which is less expensive then just replacing tires on the Mclarens.

And I must say, the Mclarens have lots of holes, which is cool, but the brawlers are positively huge.....that's a BIG tire, though it's hard to get that perspective from video.

If you get those Mclarens let me know what you think of them.....I was very interested in those.
Hi BigDigger, first, congratulations on your purchase, your tires look pretty cool!
However, I think you got it slightly wrong on the McLaren's -- we have been using them for quite some time and we never had a spinning rim problem and I have never seen any holes getting torn as you suggest (see the pictures below). We have McLaren flat proof tires on 8 machines and plan to put them on the other 3 we have.

Second, I think the press-on/off feature they have is great because you can later buy just tires without rims and save big!!! If I remember right, they had a promo where you can get $1,000 saving per set when you buy the tires without rims.

And yes, having more holes translates into better cushioning and indeed the McLaren's run much smoother than any foam-filled tire we had before.

Regarding how long they last -- one of our machines has MccLaren NuAir AT and we already have over 3,000 hours on the tires and they are still going. Based on the wear, I think they'll go over 3,500 hrs. This NuAir AT tire is specially made for hard surface use - asphalt, concrete, etc. -- so I guess this explains the better wear. The standard McLaren NuAir DT tires, however, last around 3,000 hours.

And finally, our McLaren's are definitely retreadable. I'm posting some pictures I got. Note that there is no problem with the holes tearing up whatsoever, so whoever told you that the circle holes are bad for the tires has been messing up with you...
Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually, I have already attached the pictures here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=210987&page=4