Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Hi BigDigger, first, congratulations on your purchase, your tires look pretty cool!
However, I think you got it slightly wrong on the McLaren's -- we have been using them for quite some time and we never had a spinning rim problem and I have never seen any holes getting torn as you suggest (see the pictures below). We have McLaren flat proof tires on 8 machines and plan to put them on the other 3 we have.

Second, I think the press-on/off feature they have is great because you can later buy just tires without rims and save big!!! If I remember right, they had a promo where you can get $1,000 saving per set when you buy the tires without rims.

And yes, having more holes translates into better cushioning and indeed the McLaren's run much smoother than any foam-filled tire we had before.

Regarding how long they last -- one of our machines has MccLaren NuAir AT and we already have over 3,000 hours on the tires and they are still going. Based on the wear, I think they'll go over 3,500 hrs. This NuAir AT tire is specially made for hard surface use - asphalt, concrete, etc. -- so I guess this explains the better wear. The standard McLaren NuAir DT tires, however, last around 3,000 hours.

And finally, our McLaren's are definitely retreadable. I'm posting some pictures I got. Note that there is no problem with the holes tearing up whatsoever, so whoever told you that the circle holes are bad for the tires has been messing up with you...

I just got my NuAirs on last night. Dam they are heavy. I probably added 500 pounds to my ROC. I noticed the same thing on the holes. The holes don't squat like Galaxy said they would. I even rocked the entire machine on its tail and the holes in the rear tires did not squat. The ride is very close to regular tires. I think if you did not know they were Nu Airs you would think they were regular air tires.

Here is my only issue so far with the Nu Airs. I am concerned about the width. They appear to be more narrow than a standard tire. I should have caught that. My 465 is borderline too heavy for 12X16.5s. Now I am riding on even a more narrow tire. I am not happy about that. I will see how well they work but I think I will sink in soft material.

Did I say these tires were heavy.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
BigDigger BigDigger is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I just got my NuAirs on last night. Dam they are heavy. I probably added 500 pounds to my ROC. I noticed the same thing on the holes. The holes don't squat like Galaxy said they would. I even rocked the entire machine on its tail and the holes in the rear tires did not squat. The ride is very close to regular tires. I think if you did not know they were Nu Airs you would think they were regular air tires.

Here is my only issue so far with the Nu Airs. I am concerned about the width. They appear to be more narrow than a standard tire. I should have caught that. My 465 is borderline too heavy for 12X16.5s. Now I am riding on even a more narrow tire. I am not happy about that. I will see how well they work but I think I will sink in soft material.

Did I say these tires were heavy.
In regards to Brawlers, so I don't know if it's the same as NuAirs. The only number that matters is the actual tread width. Air tires always appear wider because of bulge or the rounded contour of the tire from rim to tread, however the actual contact patch is exactly the same. That is something to consider, because that rounded profile doesn't help you at all, but it makes them "look" bigger.

Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDigger View Post
In regards to Brawlers, so I don't know if it's the same as NuAirs. The only number that matters is the actual tread width. Air tires always appear wider because of bulge or the rounded contour of the tire from rim to tread, however the actual contact patch is exactly the same. That is something to consider, because that rounded profile doesn't help you at all, but it makes them "look" bigger.

Just something to consider.

I have considered that.

I just dropped my machine off on a job. The topsoil if you can call it that is more like 3/8 gravel/sand. When trying to back drag, the machine hops. It might have done that with the regular tires, but I am sure not pulling off the NuAirs to see if it does the same with regular tires. I am assuming that the not flex characteristics of these tires don't allow the tire to conform to the ground as well. Never the less I will have to put the VTS 440 on this job. I will get nothing done in these conditions with those tires. If this is my experience in all conditions or even half, they are going to go back. I am really liking the idea of between the NuAirs and the VTS of never getting a flat, but I need to get something done as well.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Canon Landscaping Canon Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 259
Why didn't you get the air monsters 15x16.5 if you needed more flotation?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon Landscaping View Post
Why didn't you get the air monsters 15x16.5 if you needed more flotation?
Because I wanted to keep the ability to run OTT with this machine. I have never run these types of tires before, so I did not know what to expect. If I had it to do over, I might have gone with the wider tires. I am really hoping I am not going to regret buying these. If worse comes to worse, I will get the 15" next year and put these on the 440 when it does not have the VTS on it and put them on when running tracks on the 465. Thats a lot dicking around, but it might be the best solution.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I have considered that.

I just dropped my machine off on a job. The topsoil if you can call it that is more like 3/8 gravel/sand. When trying to back drag, the machine hops. It might have done that with the regular tires, but I am sure not pulling off the NuAirs to see if it does the same with regular tires. I am assuming that the not flex characteristics of these tires don't allow the tire to conform to the ground as well. Never the less I will have to put the VTS 440 on this job. I will get nothing done in these conditions with those tires. If this is my experience in all conditions or even half, they are going to go back. I am really liking the idea of between the NuAirs and the VTS of never getting a flat, but I need to get something done as well.


What yall call topsoil, we call gravel..

And you run CASE, sense when do you ever get anything done?
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post


What yall call topsoil, we call gravel..

And you run CASE, sense when do you ever get anything done?
O' Jr.

At least I don't have to go to the local rental store to pick up my equipment!


Beating up on you is about as rewarding as when I used to dot my sister's eyes when we were kids.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
O' Jr.

At least I don't have to go to the local rental store to pick up my equipment!


Beating up on you is about as rewarding as when I used to dot my sister's eyes when we were kids.
Oh, ouch that hurts.. NOT.. I really dont care, if things dont pick up, I am goin to take a break and just let things roll and have fun..

And I dont go to just any old rental store, I roll to Bobcat..
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Oh, ouch that hurts.. NOT.. I really dont care, if things dont pick up, I am goin to take a break and just let things roll and have fun..

And I dont go to just any old rental store, I roll to Bobcat..


Ha! you roll to BC. Riddle me this, do they have short bus taxi's that take you to BC Country or does your mom take you?
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Ha! you roll to BC. Riddle me this, do they have short bus taxi's that take you to BC Country or does your mom take you?
Oh, Snap!
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.11590 seconds with 8 queries