Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax Blowers - Inconsistant power loss

I am running a Redmax EBZ8000 and a EBZ8001 and both seem to lose power on occasions. I can start them up, they run fine, start them again, they run like crap. Both units are doing this. I run premium fuel and spark plugs have been changed, clean air filters, new fuel filters. Anyone else experiencing this or know what is wrong? Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same problem here with an ebz7001. Some days it runs great, sometimes it stutters/bogs. Weather (temperature) doesn't matter at all.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I posted a thread a while back on this and it seems to be common. I took mine to the dealer an they told me that it was the fuel filter. I told them BS and left. It is very inconsistent so I can't show them the problem. EBZ8001
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
It sounds to me like the carbs need adjusting a little leaner on the high speed jet and possibly a little richer on the low speed jet. The carbs might need to be cleaned. What type of oil are you running? How often do you mix your 2 stroke gas? I do mix my 2 stroke oil with 93 octane fuel but, one can of premix will last me a couple weeks. If you are going through a can of premix weekly then you might want to try 87 octane.

The benefit of running 93 octane for your premix gasoline choice is that it's octane will remain above the recommended 87 octane for a longer period of storage. A 2 stroke engine will make the most power using the recommended octane of fuel it was designed to run on. So higher octane isn't necessarily the best performing gasoline for every engine.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one (sorta). I too noticed it has nothing to do with the weather or if the machine is warmed up. It is so inconsistent I can not show my dealer what is happening.

Regarding the fuel mix: I mix fuel about every 3 days I believe. The octane rating makes sense that you suggested. On the flip side, we were told to run it in our hand held equipment to keep the ethanol out of the machines. Whats a guy to do?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
The octane choice usually has nothing to do with there being ethanol in the fuel. Some gas stations offer gasoline without ethanol and it's not something that is tied to octane. I'd look at the manual for the blowers and see what is the recommended octane for that engine.

Also, don't be so sure that weather has nothing to do with how the engines perform. Weather does have an effect on the relative air density and you can have some days when the RAD is high and the engines will run great because there is more oxygen molecules in the air and other days when the RAD is lower. You can't tell what the RAD is without RAD guage. I'll post a couple links that might better explain what I am talking about.
http://forums.pstuning.com/index.php?showtopic=834
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2395653/air_density/
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

tough ones to get when there so intermittent.

some things to look for and eliminate. remove the mufflers and shake them , listen for maybe a loose or moving around baffle that may be blocking the exhaust intermittently.

spray around the cylinder gasket and crank seals with some carb cleaner and see if the engines rev up or stall. this may indicate some sort of air leak. This has been a common issue with the redmax blowers from the EB7000 to todays units.

Check out the fuel lines for getting thin and weak feeling, maybe they are being sucked closed in certain conditions, also make sure the tank cap is venting properly and not causing vaporlock.

longshot, but something to check if all else fails. Since the engine is stratocharged, maybe a issue with the reed valves in the stratocharged manifolds on the front and back of the cylinders.

Next time it acts up, see if throwing 1/2 choke or more to it and see if it picks back up and runs any better. If it does, at least you know its some issue affecting fuel flow and its running lean. If it does not run any better then it may be exh issue, major air leak, or a ign module thats not advancing/******ing properly and the timing is "stuck" in one spot of the slope curve.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen some strange issues like this with the Tanaka 7800 blowers which are basically a 7001 Redmax. Generally changing the sparkplug fixes it. They run a very expensive little spark plug though. I havent had any problems with them after I put a new Champion in. I am not a fan of NGK plugs. Have had a number of them that you take out, check the gap, put back and it runs fine...next day the plug fails.

But these blowers are very weird. Like the plug partially fails. Runs strong at one point...at another point you cant get any RPM out of them or sometimes they wont even start or they just run like crap.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i got the same problem with one of my 8000's. I changed the fuel, air, and spark plugs and still the same. I brought it to the dealer the other day. He changed the carb gasket and the fuel line and said it ran fine. I used it today. It ran fine for 2 hours, then back to the same crap. By the end of the day, it would start up fine, but when you throttle it up, the blower sputters and craps out. Why does it work fine in the morning for a few hours, then this crap happens???
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already but the ETHANOL in today's gas is wreaking havoc with small engines...some say to upgrade your octane rating (87 to 89 or 91) for better running equipment.
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow