Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Weeds with organic lawn care

Hey guys, I am new to the forum but have been searching around for a while. I have a question. I am trying to do a full organic lawn care as i have a dog and i just like using organic stuff because its a lot safer then synthetics.

I have topped dressed with a mixture of cow manure and top soil so far, and added some law booster this spring and seeded.

My next question is that is there a good way to control the weeds or do i just need to establish the lawn better and get the lawn health where it will push the weeds out. Or is there an organic weed killer or solution out there that will help kill or control the weeds until the lawn gets healthier. Iam sure the rain the last two weeks isnt helping either.

I have always had a ton of cover in my lawn, and i have some dandelions that i keep pulling up when i see them. And some other weeds that i really dont know what they are. When i get a chance ill have to search the internet to figure out what they are.

any help would be aprreciated.

thank you

lax
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The main weed controls are a vinegar based solution that will kill everything and your left and right hand.

I use synthetic weed controls when there are more weeds than I can pull effeciently and do as few treatments as possible. For the most part I hand pull most weeds. With it being your personal lawn, I am sure it will be much easier to take care of them as they come.

A healthy thick lawn will help prevent more weeds the healthier it gets, make sure to use the proper cultural practices as well for your type of turf.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DGL is correct in the approach, for the simple reason that - there are no broadleaf weed controls that are considered 'organic'.

DGL, is also correct that - establishing a healthy, vibrant, bit of turf will prevent the opportunistic weeds from establishing in your lawn.

It takes a little time - sometimes - but you deal with each situation as it comes...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

And a vibrant healthy lawn will control 99% of the lawn. However, I have a customer with the thickest, most beautiful lawn you have seen and I still hand pull about 10 weeds per trip in an area of about 6k sq ft that some how make it through. If they can make it through this lawn, they can make it through any lawn. So... there will always be weeds... just a lot less.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
The main weed controls are a vinegar based solution that will kill everything and your left and right hand.

I use synthetic weed controls when there are more weeds than I can pull effeciently and do as few treatments as possible. For the most part I hand pull most weeds. With it being your personal lawn, I am sure it will be much easier to take care of them as they come.

A healthy thick lawn will help prevent more weeds the healthier it gets, make sure to use the proper cultural practices as well for your type of turf.
Spot on. Good for you DGL.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
And a vibrant healthy lawn will control 99% of the lawn. However, I have a customer with the thickest, most beautiful lawn you have seen and I still hand pull about 10 weeds per trip in an area of about 6k sq ft that some how make it through. If they can make it through this lawn, they can make it through any lawn. So... there will always be weeds... just a lot less.
Over time, the weed seed bank will be depleted providing you don't have a source of weed seeds building it back up. It doesn't hurt to look around to see where potential inputs into that weed seed bank may be coming from and to deal with the source directly if possible.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

good point, I guess the areas the guys sprayed round up on a few spots of crabgrass might qualify as one of these areas? LOL
Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe, and this is just me try and learn to grow good grass and then weeds are a non issue
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxratnd View Post
Hey guys, I am new to the forum but have been searching around for a while. I have a question. I am trying to do a full organic lawn care as i have a dog and i just like using organic stuff because its a lot safer then synthetics.

I have topped dressed with a mixture of cow manure and top soil so far, and added some law booster this spring and seeded.

My next question is that is there a good way to control the weeds or do i just need to establish the lawn better and get the lawn health where it will push the weeds out. Or is there an organic weed killer or solution out there that will help kill or control the weeds until the lawn gets healthier. Iam sure the rain the last two weeks isnt helping either.

I have always had a ton of cover in my lawn, and i have some dandelions that i keep pulling up when i see them. And some other weeds that i really dont know what they are. When i get a chance ill have to search the internet to figure out what they are.

any help would be aprreciated.

thank you

lax
Sounds like your weed problem is under control.
If all else fails you can spot spray the broadleaf problems.

Remember: - Remove a weed ... put down some seed...
Grass seed that is.... ...really... no problem...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

hey

Thanks guys for all the help. That is what i have been doing, just pulling weeds and seeding. I planted see last week and to my surprize with all the rain we have gotten over the two weeks i actually have grass growing already in most of the areas i seeded.

Now the next step is seeding the backyard and getting that nice and strong so the dog dosnt tare it all up. When i eventually get him to stop digging it all up. He is funny though i will pull a weed out and he will think hey ill help and he digs up the dirt where i pulled the weed out of.

I dont want to have to gate off the backyard to seed hopefully i wont have to but i might if i went to get some seed to grow.

thanks again guys

lax