Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats your plan for mowing fescue in the wet

It has litterally been raining for a week up in the north east. I can just hear Forrest Gump saying " we had stangin' rain, sideways rain, and even rain that bounced UP!" I managed to get some cut last Wed and thursday but had to cut wet lawns on Sat. I left the lazer home as its weight would have left ruts. I used the grass gobbler on the walkbehind as high as it would cut .Some lawns it was 2 passes and dump the bagger. I also mowed in one direction and bagged or used the BR600 to disperse the clumps. On one large property I was able to aim the clippings under the trees at the back of the property. Several neighbors approached me with plees of help as they couldn't cut their lawns as the grass was too high for their mower. I told them that if they wanted to become regular customers I could squeeze them in but I was up to my elbows in cutting my own customers before the next batch of rain.
I wish I had my camera for some of the foot high lawns I saw Sat.. Hopefully I can use the lazer as it cuts up to 5" tall and the walkbehind max's out at 3.75 as it is setup.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You just have to blow the clipping around. Nothing else you can do.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of our northwestern states members should be able to help. They have no choice but to mow in the rain in spring.

Back in 2003 it rained like that all summer if you remember Jeff. I remember cutting in the pouring down rain that year up in MD. Just lift the deck up and do the best you can. Most of your customers will understand if it doesn't come out perfect. I didn't get any complaints and I remember some of my lawns didn't come out picture perfect.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pray for the best.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If guys would stop cussing at Mother Nature, she might let up some.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

its been like that here as well. rain for a couple days then sunshine, this combo makes the grass grow likes its on steroids. im trying to help my brother out cutting in between my landscaping jobs and hes doing it after school. We have had to bag pretty much everything, then run our scag with the velocity deck over on a second pass to even everything out. that mower is a lifesaver. we creep along at less than 5mph with the ferris trying to bag it up at 3.75"- 4.5" and then cut it down to 3" with scag to give us a little leeway for the next cut.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Did what I could yesterday, 4 quickies that were overdue. 1 was real clumpy, i took the blower and knocked down most of the clumps, but my customers understand we have had rain since Friday, and going to rain rest of weeks. Next week will be fun. Better go sharpen the blade's again.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

RM , I do remember 2003 . I cut when it was only drizzeling and not full on raining that spring. I remember hoping to get my cuts in for mothers day too. the things I learned back then I'm using this year. I have a few spots along my route where I can clean out the underside of the mowers with the br600 under a tree or use a rubber glove and scoup it out by hand for bagging. Too much rain is still better than No rain . I'm usually a "when the sidewalks dry let it fly" type but you can't let the wet grass land on wet pavement and expect to make any time on a cut.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Im in harrisburg area and its been non-stop here too, i have been going over them with the walk behind on mach-1 speed just to knock the majority of it out, then taking the Lazer with the bagger on it over it on mach-1 to get the big clumps up and the path's of grass up, 2 mows that fast makes for one nice looking job, and the avg house only makes about 1-2 exmark bags of grass, it sounds like extra work, but not really since im going so fast, just a little extra gas mostly.
1998 Custom built 22' open trailer
2005 Exmark Lazer Z 52" Kohler, Ultra-Vac
1995 Exmark Turf Tracer hydro 60" Kohler, Velke
1969 Bobcat skidsteer 444 belt drive, 54" smooth bucket ( its a classic, but a tank )
Stihl stuff
Go big or go home
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Im down the road from you and i am starting to wonder what to do myself >>? I need it to dry out alittle before we go out and cut.