Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2002, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you weld racks on your trailer?

I have purchased some Trimmer trap racks for my new trailer.

The dealer that I'm getting them from recommended that they weld them to the trailer. His reasoning was that if welded on, someone couldn't loosen the bolts to the racks and steal the whole works, racks, trimmers and all.

I'm going to pick up the racks this afternoon.

What do you all think?
Old 03-30-2002, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

??? Dont know ?? I think I would want them bolted on so if they got damaged they would not be a mess to get them off and new ones on... Then again it's not all that difficult to cut and grind the welds down ?? If you used some grade 8 bolts and lock washers then ground down the edges so they cant be taken off with wrenches ... Or what about welding the nuts and bolts with a tack weld so they cant be loosend without grinding or chiseling off the weld first ??? If they want them that bad they will just hack off the posts anyway ??? Get an enclosed trailer ????
Old 03-30-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I bolt everything onto my trailers so it can be removed if needed. I seem to buy at least one "bigger or better" trailer each year, and would not want all my racks welded on, as it would be a mess cutting them off. Sometimes I swap racks out between trailers, or just move them around on the same trailer to make a more convenient setup. I really can't see a thief going to the time and trouble of removing several bolts to steal trimmers, but I suppose it could happen depending on where you live and work.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We welded ours. They are not moving! IF they had to be taken off they could. It won't happen in a parking lot with a couple of wrenches. Just my .02
Old 03-30-2002, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

weld vs bolting

How about bolting them on and welding the nut.. that way if it is broken just graba dremmel tool and saw the bolt off?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I admit i live in mayberry here, but welding them is not a good idea in my opinion. What if you want to change the trailer around? I have changed the setup of my trailer numerous times. I had done some welding when i first started, and now my trailer looks like a gijoe mistake. Paint job coming this year. Atleast bolt em till you find the exact set up you prefer is my opinion.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tend to agree with most of you guys, I believe I'll bolt them on.

I figure if someone really wants the stuff bad enough to take the whole rack off, they need it a lot more than I do anyway.

Also, I really don't intend to leave the trailer setting outside with equipment on unattended for any extended periods of time.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say just bolt them on, that's what I've done. Besides, if someone is willing to go through the time and trouble to unbolt the rack and haul it away, they would more likely just grab a pair of bolt cutters and snip the pad locks keeping the trimmers locked in anyway.

My outlook on the trimmer trap is to keep some guy from just walking up to my trailer and walking of with my trimmers while I'm in the store getting lunch. I don't exspect it to keep harden thugs from ripping me off.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

McKee is right all the way There on there to carry your hand held equip. and to protect them while your in taco bell for lunch. take your hand held units off at night and put them in your shop to protect them
Old 03-30-2002, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bolt it.

Later on if you decide you want a bigger trailer, you might want to get rid of your old trailer and move your trimmer rack to the new one. And like everyone else already said, if they really want it, they will get it.