Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best Source For Nitrogen

So I'm wanting to get the best results out of my Sweet Corn in the garden. First off I took my passive compost pile (worm food) and spread it around the area I'm planting corn. Then I also took fresh lawn clipping and also put them in the area. After that I tilled it all in.

Want I really want to do is boost the N level in the sweet corn patch and I didn't know if there is anything else I can do organically to achieve this. I know corn will take as much N as you give it, and after watching the Anhydrous Ammonia tanks rolling through the farm fields, it got me thinking of other ways to boost N levels.

My only other inorganic thought is to find a high N lawn fertilizer to put down.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
So I'm wanting to get the best results out of my Sweet Corn in the garden. First off I took my passive compost pile (worm food) and spread it around the area I'm planting corn. Then I also took fresh lawn clipping and also put them in the area. After that I tilled it all in.

Want I really want to do is boost the N level in the sweet corn patch and I didn't know if there is anything else I can do organically to achieve this. I know corn will take as much N as you give it, and after watching the Anhydrous Ammonia tanks rolling through the farm fields, it got me thinking of other ways to boost N levels.

My only other inorganic thought is to find a high N lawn fertilizer to put down.
Manure, compost, and fish fertilizers would probably be your best bet.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
Manure, compost, and fish fertilizers would probably be your best bet.
So, at this point, with the seed in the ground and soil has already been tilled, how would you go about adding amendments during the growing season???

My only thought would be to dig a shallow trench close to the root zone, and filling it with compost/fertilize, or, start making a compost tea to apply periodically.

I've always had a green perspective on gardening and landscaping (before it was popular), but I would like to try and take it a step further when applicable.

Any thoughts ???

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
So, at this point, with the seed in the ground and soil has already been tilled, how would you go about adding amendments during the growing season???

My only thought would be to dig a shallow trench close to the root zone, and filling it with compost/fertilize, or, start making a compost tea to apply periodically.

I've always had a green perspective on gardening and landscaping (before it was popular), but I would like to try and take it a step further when applicable.

Any thoughts ???
side dress, composted chicken manures (4%N), Fish (4%N), Corn Gluten Meal (10%N), feather meal (12%N), Duck weed (7%N), Garlic (2%N)
Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not dig around the rootzone, to much risk of damage. No reason to anyway, just mix up some maure in some fully composted material then spread around plants and water in with some fish emulsion mix.

C/T is a good idea but not as an application of NPK since it generally has minimal. It is however effective at releasing and regulating your NPK.

Im sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Comfrey at 8-2.5-20.5
Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And next year plant soybeans--or another kind of legume--turn it under to form green manure, just befor planting. I am not sure if clover planted next to the corn would help this year--worth a shot. Peas or sweetpeas are nice. Smell better than chicken manure.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
And next year plant soybeans--or another kind of legume--turn it under to form green manure, just befor planting. I am not sure if clover planted next to the corn would help this year--worth a shot. Peas or sweetpeas are nice. Smell better than chicken manure.
The only legumes that I do is pole beans, so I don't do a true crop rotation as I have no need for bush beans.

I tried to talk the wife into doing the "three sisters". Corn, pole beans growing up the corn, and a squash/pumpkin as ground cover. She didn't like the idea of trying to walk into that mess when harvesting. I still might grow some more pole beans in that fashion in one section of the corn.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I usually give a boost with fresh horse manure tea drench. Best to keep it of the foliage especially with plants in which you eat the foliage...
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the air of course.LOLOLOL stop the N train!!!!!