Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
So doesthe abamectin work as a contact killer, or is there a residue left over on the crops to attack any incoming insects that weren't initially sprayed ???

The thing I like the most about Seven, is that there is a residue left over to kill incoming insects. (until it rains of course) The beetles have a tendency to move from plant to plant.

To give you an idea of how many there are around here, my neighbor was using traps (bad move) and collected 8, 5 gallon buckets full of JBs.
The PROBLEM with seven is that there is a residue that kills most things that come in contact with it and then carry the residue back to the hive, that can kill off bee hives
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill, from your experience, how long have you found Sevin to stick around? just a question, I am very sure of the answer already but wanted to get an organic point of view.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUTURFGEEK View Post
Bill, from your experience, how long have you found Sevin to stick around? just a question, I am very sure of the answer already but wanted to get an organic point of view.
If it does not rain for 3 or 4 weeks, my answer would be 3 or 4 weeks. You would actually need to call the manufactuer and ask them. It is not something I would every consider using........EVER

It kills bee's are you nuts !!! or should I say it kills the pollentators that give us nuts and berries, I do believe that is the final answer

Not a great idea..........unless you can figure out another food source
Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
The PROBLEM with seven is that there is a residue that kills most things that come in contact with it and then carry the residue back to the hive, that can kill off bee hives

I just want to state, that I'm very selective about what I spray with seven. The only two items I spray in the garden is my corn (they eat the silks) and the pole beans (they shred the leaves). Otherwise everything else seems to be safe.

I never used any insecticides in my landscapes until the JB came along.

I have Hollyhocks, crab apples, apple trees, etc... that I let the beetles destroy knowing that there are honey bees visiting them. I don't condone over-use of chemicals, and I tell my customers the same thing.

I'm also sketchy about Merit on trees and shrubs. Yes, it does help to save trees from the beetles, but I don't know what affect Merit has on pollinators so I don't condone the use.

Farmers around here are now going back to crop-dusting insecticides, and no way will I let myself get to that level of eradication just to save a few ornamentals.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post

I'm also sketchy about Merit on trees and shrubs. Yes, it does help to save trees from the beetles, but I don't know what affect Merit has on pollinators so I don't condone the use.

Farmers around here are now going back to crop-dusting insecticides, and no way will I let myself get to that level of eradication just to save a few ornamentals.
I did a little research on this and from what I've found (mostly from European countries that have banned Merit) is that Merit doesn't necessarily kill the bees, but dis-orients them and they can't find their way back to the hive. Which will probably kill them eventually....