Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Questions on Brown Patch

Hey all, kind of a continues thread here from last year.

Looking back at the pic's from the thread above just puts chills down my dam back and I've took every step possible that I can think of for preventing this again this year. Now, I'm paranoid, I put my last fertilizer app down in Mid April ahead of a good 4" of rain we have got and now were back into prime conditions for brown pach weather here now.

I've been mowing for the last month between storm systems and keeping the grass cut so it had somewhat of a chance to dry out. As I'm typing I hear thunder rolling so in comes another cell with more rain and I'm either paranoid looking at my lawn or just seeing things so want you all's opinion.

I took these pic's this morning, from a distance the overall yard looks great, I can't complain about the results I spent a lot of time on it last fall reseeding after half of it ended up dead. However, close ups of the yard show what looks like brown patch starting so now and need confirmation.

1. Should I mow?
2. Should I raise the mower of mow where I have been at 3"
3. If it is brown patch is there anything I could do now to reverse it?
4. Is the brown area's just due to all the rain and staying wet and will go away when it gets dry? Or am I just wishful thinking?
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

More close ups.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Garlic GP (or any other form of liquified garlic) and corn meal. Put those two things down and you'll be in good shape.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit L & D View Post
Garlic GP (or any other form of liquified garlic) and corn meal. Put those two things down and you'll be in good shape.
Hmmm, now there's one I haven't heard before I'll keep that in mind Summit

IF
I say if it comes back

I told you all I was a bit paranoid, the pic's don't lie but get this. It started clearing up here about noon today. Sun came out, not a cloud in the sky and light winds out of the west dried things up nicely and what more can I say, the brown spots are totally gone

Now on the east side of the house it was still shaded after the sun came out so I still see some brown spots there but tomorrow morning should take care of that and all sun tomorrow so says the forecast.

Plan is to mow tomorrow at my normal 3" unless someone here says otherwise before I mow.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd put the corn meal down one way or the other. It's not going to hurt a thing, but will help to prevent fungi from getting started. 50 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Question on that summit; do I mix the corn meal and garlic together or is it use one of the two separately?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd put the corn meal down first. It's a dry granular product that you spread with a broadcast spreader. I'd follow that with the garlic. You're going to apply the garlic with a water sprayer. Here is the link to Garlic GP: http://www.garlicgp.com/turf.htm
Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'd put the corn meal down first. It's a dry granular product that you spread with a broadcast spreader. I'd follow that with the garlic. You're going to apply the garlic with a water sprayer. Here is the link to Garlic GP: http://www.garlicgp.com/turf.htm
ahhh now your making a bit more sense
Summit you might LYAO at me but I literally thought you meant corn meal you cook with along wit liquid garlic dude

all the same though, I took a look at the link you posted and I've tried the all natural route before and never had much success but thinking more along the line of something like Eagle 20 which someone else mentioned in an earlier thread if in deed this is brown patch which I now sceptical as to whether it actually is.
http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/eagle.htm

Anyhow, mowed today and kept the 3" hight I've been mowing at but think I'm going to have to raise that a knoch here soon. Pretty much looks the same everytime I mow but then greens up the next day.

My one and only question is can someone confirm if it is indeed brown patch and will Eagle 20 reverse it?

Got some new pics after I mowed.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

BUMP!

I got new pic also, I just can't come to a conclusion as to if it is brown patch or not.

If it were BP it wouldn't grow now would it?

This pic is yesterday morning and this morning it looks even better.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
BUMP!

I got new pic also, I just can't come to a conclusion as to if it is brown patch or not.

If it were BP it wouldn't grow now would it?

This pic is yesterday morning and this morning it looks even better.
You can't come to a positive conclusion from your pics.

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantpath/e...Landscapes.htm

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...brownpatch.htm

Avoid using fungicides if at all possible. You will be taking a step back instead of forward IMHO.