Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2002, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

eXmark wb w/new ecs controls

Problem...I have a 48 inch hydro with standard grips. When I mow on banks and make a turn upward, well of course the front of the mower wants to come off the ground. The reg. grips seem to work better as far as holding the mower down, but the new ecs grips are more comfortable.. The ecs grips are harder to control the mower in this case.. Which ones work better???

Mark
Old 03-30-2002, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ECS simply put -- sucks! Whoever designed these grips do not mow grass for a living. They are giving us a bunch of hype telling us everyone loves them. Don't believe the hype.

In my opinion if they don't offer the pistol grips they will start loosing sales to the new model gravely and ransomes walk behinds.

Fortunately for me I only use a 36" metro w/pistol. I had a 48" TT w/ecs and sold it because I didn't like ecs.

I hope Exmark gets a clue because they have a great mower except for the crappy ecs.

Ron
Old 03-30-2002, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I Bought a exmark 48" with ECS hated it , sold it and bought another ferris dual drive!

Reasons:
Hard to do a complete zero turn
Hard to push deck up
NO parking brake (parked machine on a hill to move something & it started rolling away!) If it rolled much farther I would of damaged the hydro pumps & motors!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

After listening to you guy's I go back and give my Hustlers another "Kiss and a hug" . Every problem you guy's mention is exactly why I Have a Hustler. I remember my bobcats always popping the nose up on hills, bumps, or any time they had a notion too. I can also see the other problem, which is, Hustler's customer awareness and marketing program does "suck".
It's too bad the owners of Hustler don't bother to read this forum, or they'd find out that 90% of the mowing world doesn't have a clue how their WB's work. Do yourself a favor, return the exmark, go find a Hustler dealing and start "ending the day" with a smile and more money in your pocket
Old 03-31-2002, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess i shall be the only one brave enough to stand up here and say otherwise. I have had both grip systems. The old style did turn better. It did make a very large difference on weather or not i lifted the deck up. The ecs makes lifting the deck alot harder. BUT, with the old system i was quickly developing a very serious wrist condition that was caused by the continual bouncing and bumping i put my wrists through. I do not have that problem with the ecs. My wrists are back to normal now. Which would you give up? Your deck up easability, or your wrist usage?

The ecs are NOT perfect and some design issues need to be looked at i agree. It is merely a step in the evolution of mowers. When the first zero turns came out i am sure that some ppl said that it didnt cut as well or whatever. As time changes, our machines do too. Help to redirect the mower changes and evolution to where you want it to go, dont just gripe about it.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with the complants. I demoed a tthp 48'' hydro last week. Very good cut, but on the hills I was cutting on it gave me a very good work-out. I could not keep the front end on the ground when going up the slightest inclines. It to had the ecs controls. The dealer asked me how I liked it, and that is the complant I gave him. I was just wondering about the fixed deck viking? Would it do any better? We use a 6 year old Lesco ( and I know Lesco gets dogged on this site) but if I can't keep the deck on the ground how is it going to give me a better cut. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem that some of the changes that need to be made are this. While the ergonomics are rather well designed, the width of the bars needs to be increased for leverage, as there is not enough leverage to operate efficiently on hillsides. As far as the rocking back on hillsides, well, that's more in the balance of the entire machine front to back than it is in the ECS type bars. I think we'll see some changes and improvements soon.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i can't wait for the exmark open house where i will get to ride the lazers and try the ecs controls. I am going to compare it to the toro hydro tbar i tried last week. I hope it is as comfortable on the hands as they say.