Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

OSHA lol they only come after there is a accident. I bet no one on here even does a job briefing at all never mind every job or when things change. I run without mine. Its harder on the engine sometimes but I don't care. I save time and money without it on. I don't use nearly as much string.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Wink Stihl Trimmer Guards Custom

I was thinking about modifying my current trimmer guard for my new STIHL FS100RX to make it 2" longer...If I could mold them and sell them I think there would be a market for it.....any suggestions how to at least modify it?

I currently run my STIHL FS90 with no guard...It saves time...line...and weight.

I'm not too worried about OSHA or the warranty it looks pretty well built...if I get 2 years out of it I would be happy I think. I was also in commercial and residential construction site supervision for 5 years and built hundreds of homes without seeing an OSHA inspector....just my personal experience.

SUGGESTION FOR TAKING YOUR TRIMMER GUARD OFF- SAVE IT!!! AND MAKE SURE TO PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE BRINGING IT BACK TO YOUR DEALER!!!!!

Thanks and good luck!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2000 View Post
SUGGESTION FOR TAKING YOUR TRIMMER GUARD OFF- SAVE IT!!! AND MAKE SURE TO PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE BRINGING IT BACK TO YOUR DEALER!!!!!

Thanks and good luck!
Yes, because all dealers are stupid and will never be able to tell when they take the engine apart that all the excessive heat load damage came from the trimmer guard (which still looks new compared to the rest of the lower end) being removed.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealer Repair

How about "You no warranty I no spend $15,000 / yr at your shop any more"
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2000 View Post
How about "You no warranty I no spend $15,000 / yr at your shop any more"
You seem to be under the misconception that a dealer warrants a product like a trimmer, blower, mower, etc. You get a MANUFACTURER'S warranty when you buy something. If the manufacturer isn't going to cover it, what makes you think the dealer is going to go around losing money trying to repair or replace something that you intentially sought out to void a warranty on by removing the guard?

Removing a trimmer guard increases LOAD on the engine, which in turn increases HEAT in the engine. The manufacturer does not spec/design the unit and its components to run at the higher temperature that YOU are causing, so why should you expect them to cover something like that under a warranty?

And on your statement "You no warranty I no spend $15,000 / yr at your shop any more"

my reply

"I no kiss your ass for $1,500 (not counting costs involved with carrying wholegoods in the first place) profit/yr, here is name of next nearest dealer"
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I run without mine. Its harder on the engine sometimes but I don't care. I save time and money without it on. I don't use nearly as much string.
Same here, plus I like to use the back cutting edge for certain applications.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If you take the trimmer guard off, be prepared for performance issues and mechanical problems later. They were not engineered to run with that much extra line.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always left mine on.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new trimmer and the guards are smaller now so I was planning on leaving it on but after I went through over a head of line in less than a tank of gas I just could not justify leaving it on and wasting all that line.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

warranty on trimmers are short, take them off after it runs out, been running one of my trimmers now for a year without guard, uses less line, plus the weight difference at the end of the day/week makes a difference on my arms, but the biggest plus is that less stuff is thrown at my face, yes less stuff hits me in the face, so from now on, the guards come off.!!!!!

BRINGING REVIVAL TO YOUR LAND
PSALMS 67