Register free!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Milky Spore

I have a question.

Does Milky Spore kill adult Japanese Beetles or just control the larvae in the soil ???

I tried it on adult beetles last year with no effect, but I'm not sure if I applied it correctly.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

bacterias like milky spore affect the larval stage only in the soil, sorry about that
It enters their exoskeleton and basically eats them from the inside, but only in the soil

The pest and the bacteria have to meet up in the soil at sometime to be effective, so it may have to be applied several times to build up the colonies

It is to be used as a soil drench or application on the soil that is watered in
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, that's what I was afraid of.

The nightmare that is the JB beetle is just to tough to control organically when they are in adult/flying stage.

If anyone else has any tips besides pulling them off by hand, let me know. I'd like to move away from using seven during the peak month they are feeding.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Ya, that's what I was afraid of.

The nightmare that is the JB beetle is just to tough to control organically when they are in adult/flying stage.

If anyone else has any tips besides pulling them off by hand, let me know. I'd like to move away from using seven during the peak month they are feeding.
There are many essential oils that coat the adult and smother them or make them not want to be there

too tough to control organically.........bah hum bug

it just ain't so
Old 05-09-2009, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As a little faster alternative to hand picking, you can shake whole plant sections while holding a broad container of insecticidal soap under it (pie pan, bucket). Maybe not what you were hoping for but if they are thick, your able to wipe out many at once doing this. I think I read once about making a spray solution to stick their wings together so they can't take off, but don't recall what was used, or for sure even if it was for JB's. You might research that.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem is the swarms.

If you go and spray a contact chemical, it only takes an hour before a new group or swarm has come back to the area sprayed.

They are extremely bad here, and are known to defoliate large trees and shrubs up to 100 feet high.

This year I want to try and take some video of the moving swarms. Every time the wind blows, they move to a new location.

Thanks for the replies, and no, I'm not being a scrooge about them, they are that bad.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

neem pyretherins or some abamectin just to get a control and then use the true organic ways as a prophylactic to keep them in control
Old 05-10-2009, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
neem pyretherins or some abamectin just to get a control and then use the true organic ways as a prophylactic to keep them in control
So doesthe abamectin work as a contact killer, or is there a residue left over on the crops to attack any incoming insects that weren't initially sprayed ???

The thing I like the most about Seven, is that there is a residue left over to kill incoming insects. (until it rains of course) The beetles have a tendency to move from plant to plant.

To give you an idea of how many there are around here, my neighbor was using traps (bad move) and collected 8, 5 gallon buckets full of JBs.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I had tremendous success with baited traps (pheromone). The first year yielded enough to fill a gallon container. There after, I had no problems. This was in conjunction with MS and nematodes.

Use the plastic "can" trap not the bagged trap.

Do not place near edible crops nor ornamental plantings. This may lure JB towards them instead.

http://www.laddresearch.com/Traps/Ta...eetle_tra.html
Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to sound snyde, but the milky spore container probably came with some words printed on it, called the LABEL. It will state what the product controls.