Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

LawnSite Member Doing Great Thing for Our Troops

Here is an email I received from Mike Ruiz - this is a great thing - kudos to Mike

Dear Sean,

My name is Mike Ruiz, owner of Ruiz Lawn & Landscape. We volunteer our mowing services to men and women who are servicing our country in the Middle East. The person we are currently sponsoring is Captain Michael Panzera who is stationed in Iraq. I received a call from Captain Panzera the day before Thanksgiving, 2008. He introduced himself and told me that he received my name from Project Evergreen and he is a soldier currently stationed in Iraq. Since my first conversation with him, I have learned a little more information about him through emails and some investigation. He comes from a family of volunteers. His elderly mother, who lives in a senior facility, crochets lap robes that are distributed to AIDS baby care centers and battered women’s shelters. Captain Michael felt the call to service after the bombing of the World Trade Center, a place where he had been employed in the early 1980’s. This is Captain Michael’s second time serving our country. He felt the need to rejoin to take up this new fight. Due to his unselfish acts he has suffered personally as well as financially. He has sacrificed a great deal for our country and I would like to do what I can to give something back to him.

On May 16th (Armed Forces Day), Project Welcome Home will take place. Ruiz Lawn and Landscape and other volunteers will be adding landscape and seasonal flowers to Captain Panzera’s Freehold home to surprise him when he returns from serving our country at the end of May. We are planning on celebrating this silent hero with our heart and our time by doing this project. This project will show Captain Panzera that our military has not been forgotten and we appreciate what he has given up for us so we can be safe at home.

We are working together to help this local hero come back to a warm welcome of thanks.

Sincerely,
Mike Ruiz
Ruiz Lawn and Landscape
732-904-5000
www. ruizlawn.com
http://www.ruizlawn.com/project.html
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's what it's all about. Mike Ruiz is a true Patriot. Thanks Mike. Hope the secret is kept until late May.

Similar story -- our son-in-law spent six years in the 82nd before 911. He was a SGT, category I sniper (best). Did some "black op's" too that most Americans will never know about, but he quit the Army after his six-year stint. The day after 911, he "got a call". Army needed him again. So he re-enlisted the same day. This guy is "built like a tank". He then went through officer's training school and became a Lt. Then he went through Ranger training and became an Army Ranger. He was in charge of 36 troops in Iraq for a year. He got back "home" (Colorado Springs). After a year there, they just moved last week (again) to Ft Campbell, KY. This summer, he will be going to Afganistan for a year. He is now a Captain in the 82nd Airborne. They still own their house in Colorado until it sells, and I pay for weekly mowing.

Nuther sponsor on this site = TURFCO. Bob Brophy (turfcobob) saw heavy action during Viet Nam. As a medic, he saw stuff I don't even want to post. Hope folks here on lawnsite appreciate those who lay down their lives for our Freedom.

No wonder we named our company "American" Lawn Care. Lot's of pride & appreciation for those who allow us to take most things for granted.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike - I'm a new member and just saw your post. I think what you're doing is great! I have two daughters who have been actively "adopting" and supporting troops since the beginning of OIF...actually, they were doing it during the first Gulf War, too. Since then, my younger daughter has become our town's troop support coordinator, directing volunteer activities in support of our local National Guard troops, many of whom are currently in their second deployment (and facing possibly a third, this time to Afghanistan).

I have a client in the automobile repair business. A few years back, he started advertising free lube-oil-and-filter changes to spouses of deployed servicemen, and encouraging other businesses to join him in doing whatever they could to help these families, who often face financial hardships as a result of the separation.

Anyhow, kudos to you for your kindness to our servicemen/women.

We are blessed to be citizens of the USA. Happy Fourth!

RS
Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Very good stuff Mike , its nice to know there are still people out there that care about soldiers and this country...
I salute you Sir..
RLTW SUA SPONTE
Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you Mike!

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

well didn't think i would see anything like this when i registered to the site ^^;

I just want to say thank you to Mike and anyone else like him.

From anyone who just says "Thanks" passing on the street to people like Mike here i want to truly say thank you. It means a lot to know that someone cares and appreciates what the men and women serving our country do.

As someone who currently serves in the Army it means a lot and i truly thank you for what you have done for that CPT and his family.

Thank You!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg1987 View Post
well didn't think i would see anything like this when i registered to the site ^^;

I just want to say thank you to Mike and anyone else like him.

From anyone who just says "Thanks" passing on the street to people like Mike here i want to truly say thank you. It means a lot to know that someone cares and appreciates what the men and women serving our country do.

As someone who currently serves in the Army it means a lot and i truly thank you for what you have done for that CPT and his family.

Thank You!
I also do work for the troops and sure it's nice, but it's not about us...we're just doing a minor thing to give back to you guys for all that you do. I would like to thank you for all you and all of our troops sacrifice for our country. Good luck and stay safe!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-01-2009, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member