Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Choosing between a couple walk-behind homeowner mowers.

I searched up on this site a bit, and talked with some other knowledgeable people, and was advised to pretty much stay away from the rebadged mowers made by AYP and MTD. Looking through this site, I've seen some good things about Toro, and Honda.

I was looking at Home Depot's lineup, and these 2 caught my eye:

Toro:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...8&ddkey=Search

Honda:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9&ddkey=Search

I don't know if I need "that much" mower. I want something that is a decent mulcher for the money. I sit on 1/2 acre, minus the footprint of the house, and a 28x48 garage. I don't think 21" or 22" is going to make a big difference in the grand scheme. Yard is relatively flat, no hills or anything. Don't know if I really "need" the self-propelled feature, or which of these two is "better".

I originally had set myself a ~$200 budget, but after starting to look at some, it's already gone up to a max of $400 looking at that Honda. NO more than that though.

Either of these a good way to go, or is there something else you would suggest I look at? Thanks for your time.

- Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm, I don't see an edit button.

EDIT: Just noticed the Snapper SE line is in this sub-$400 range too.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Toro Super Recycler. Clean, lightweight, easy to use. I bought an older model several years ago and never had a problem with it. I decided I needed a new mower last year and started researching several different brands along with trying them all out. As much as I wanted something different for no other reason than I had already had a Toro, to me no other mower compared after having the Toro so I just bought another one. No other mower mulches like this one either.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Stupid question, objective--how much better is the Super Recycler line over the "regular" Recycler line? We're looking at an extra ~$200 it looks like for a similar-featured mower.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Is there not an Edit button here or am I just missing it?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Stupid question, objective--how much better is the Super Recycler line over the "regular" Recycler line? We're looking at an extra ~$200 it looks like for a similar-featured mower.
Stay away from HD Toro brand, I had two, front wheel drive, and a rear wheel drive...........both junk.......and they refuse to fix the issue....transmission failure on both......

And I made the mistake of showing my neighbor the mowers when new, he went out and got one......1 year later same problem, HD would not repair, he paid someone $160.00 to repair.......1 year after that same issue......this time I replaced the tranny for just his cost $60.00.......and he will turn 83 next week......so, no he is not hard on his mower....

See if you can get a homeowner model from a local dealer.....they have more to lose if you complain.....good luck..
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Seems like all signs are pointing towards the Toro Super Recycler 20092. 2-3x what my original budget was, but that's how it always works when we go shopping anyways for tools huh?

Now just have to explain to the wife-unit why the $530 lawnmower will "just cut the lawn" better than the $160 mower at Lowes.

I really wish my lawn was worthy of a mower this nice. Maybe with this new mulching feature it will be.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Toro, but not from HD. I have a 5 year old super recycler, witgh the cast aluminum deck. Love it. Took two pulls to start it this year after sitting all winter. Cuts great, chops up the clippings very nicely. Oh, and I am a licensed lawn care professional with a decade or two of experience with all sorts of equipment. I have a small yard, and the Toro is a grwat mower. The Depot line is NOT the same as what you will find at a power equipment dealer. My dad bought one same time I bought mine. He is on his second (self drive gears went) and the current one is 2 years old and needs a fair amount of work already.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Thanks guys. Seems like all signs are pointing towards the Toro Super Recycler 20092. 2-3x what my original budget was, but that's how it always works when we go shopping anyways for tools huh?

Now just have to explain to the wife-unit why the $530 lawnmower will "just cut the lawn" better than the $160 mower at Lowes.

I really wish my lawn was worthy of a mower this nice. Maybe with this new mulching feature it will be.
You can honestly tell your wife that this will be the last mower you will ever have to buy. I have the Toro Super Recycler, Best damn mulching mower going! Plus side discharge & rear bag if you want. 5 year warranty, and you can trust a Toro Dealer much more than the HD. You will not be sorry.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah if you buy the 160.00 mower at Lowes (really anywhere) you will start having problems by year 2. By year 3 it will take you longer to get it started than it will to mow the yard. By year 4 you will be buying the 530 dollar mower for probably 700 dollars by then. So explain it this way if I buy the 530 dollar mower now I have saved us 330 dollars over 4 years. 160 (original cost of mower)+170 (difference in price of the 530 dollar mower in 4 years)=330 dollars. So you are only actually only paying 200 dollars for the 530 dollar mower. If she is like my wife she will understand that. Ok probably not.