Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2002, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on Toros, Good or Bad?

What's the general opinion on Toro's, primarily on 220D? How long do they last? Any opinions?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Im not sure about the model you are refering to but I run a pro-line 62 and a z-master 72 and have been using them for a couple of years and both are awsome machines with very low maint. and a high yield of production, I highly recommend them to any and all!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

:blob4: I use to have the z-144 44inch deck. would not recommend that one. the deck is made different than larger decks. larger ones cut well. low maintence though. Have turk tiger now. Also have 36" toro pistol grip wb. Its does a nice job.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Lee Pice we run almost the same machines!
Old 03-31-2002, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

our area is mostly toro. They outnumber scag and exmark by a ratio of 10 to 1 combined. I ve got a toro 36 but the exmark guy is good so i havent decided which brand to get for our new mower. My toro guys move so many machines, a loaner would be impossible. They give a good cut and they do last for a while.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a proline 21" and a proline 36" belt drive. The 21 is great, but a little heavy. The 36 has been a good machine, but is a little awkward to maneuver with the T-bar. The T-bar might be good with hydro drive, but in order to pull the belt-drive backward, you have to take your hands off the T-bar and grab the frame. This kills the engine. If you have a slight hill you can use gravity to make the machine roll backward, but on flat ground it is pretty annoying. This could be fixed by undoing the operator presence safety, but with employees, I would rather not do that, as it might make me liable in the event of an accident. Now that they come with pistol grip, I might buy another one, but not a T-bar. As for the bigger machines, I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have mixed opinion of Toro equipment I have a 32 inch belt drive W.B. that has been great, 3 Toro snowblowers, single and two stage that are also very durable. But I have a 21 inch Proline mower that I hate, it had numerous small problems that I find aggravating. Maybe I just got a lemon, everyone else I hear from seems to like these mowers. But overall I think Toro makes good equipment.

Ray
Old 04-01-2002, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

id rather cut with scissors
Old 04-01-2002, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 21" Proline equipped with the 6.5 HP Briggs. I love this unit. It is very quick, has a huge bag for bagging and mulches better than any mower I have ever used. The Briggs engine has been surpisingly quite good. It has loads of power and is fuel efficient. The only complaints I have about the mower is the lack of a useful side-discharge feature and the bag is a bit awkward to dump into a garbage bag. Otherwise it is great. Toro makes good stuff.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:17 PM

I just sold a 36 Toro with T bar. I had no problems with it, the reason I sold it was that I didn't need it any more. The steering problem mentioned earlier with the belt drive model was not present in my mower. I would buy again if I had a need for a walk behind. I prefer to mow as much as possible with my Walker. Maybe that makes me lazy.

For a 21 inch walk behind you can't beat a JD jx85 or jx75 with the 6.5 hp Kawasaki. But that is my opinion.