Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

large vs small frame

I am interested in a 48" stander.
What is the difference between the large and small frame?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuratelawn View Post
Good Morning!

Thank you for your interest in our Commercial Products! It really all depends on the terrain you are mowing. If you will be mowing mostly flat terrain, the small frame would work best. If you are dealing with hills more often, the larger frame would work best.

Please feel free to contact me either here or directly at jillianj@wrightmfg.com with more details and information and I will be happy to help you!

Kind regards,

Jillian Jensen
Sale & Marketing Administrator
Wright Manufacturing, Inc.
jillianj@wrightmfg.com
www.wrightmfg.com
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuratelawn View Post
I been having the Stander 48" RH for 2 weeks now and I use it for every residential house that we have. Some have a lot of flowerbeds and some of the yards are not as flat as others but I still get a great cut with the Stander 48". It really depends on the operator and the adjustments that have to be made depending on the terrain.

The only time the machine has scalped was because of my own fault, you have to learn as you go along.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

See this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=229283 for a discussion of the large vs. small frame 48" fixed deck Standers, including pictures of the two for comparison. They stopped making the small frame fixed deck 48" last year.

A few other points I've discovered since that thread:

(1) The small frame 48" has slightly higher blade tip speeds than the large frame 48" (Newer large frame 48" standers use the small frame's large diameter clutch, while the large frame spindle pulleys are ~5.75" diameter and the small frame pulleys 5.5" (if I remember right)).
(2) Large frames use heavier duty Parker wheel motors, rather than the hydrogear wheel motors on the small frame.
(3) The small frame has much nicer automatic belt tensioners than the large frame.

The RH is a completely different story. . .
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Large frame vs small frame standers

So we are clear, Large Frame 48" Standers use the same frame as the 52" 23hp fixed deck standers, and share all the running gear ie. pumps, wheel motors, engines, clutches, wiring harness, etc. Small frame standers are made on the frame that the 36" stander uses and has all the same running gear as a 36" stander. Buy the bigger unit with the bigger engine and have a long and happy relationship with a great mower.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to be wary of with the full size Standers: try to get one with Hydrogear pumps rather than the Parker pumps they used from about 2007 through mid-2008 (download the parts manual from Wright's website for a serial number range). See Service Bulletin #85 (http://dealers.wrightmfg.com/user_im...1220366772.pdf.

Also, don't buy a 48" large frame before SN 36995 (see bulletin #81, http://dealers.wrightmfg.com/user_im...1218206602.pdf, because they change the clutch afterwards to up the bladetip speed (a complaint on earlier 48's).