Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

root magic?

Has any one heard of root magic.If so have you used it. and how can I find the manufacture?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

did a google search and it brought up different voodoo type tea stuff you drink. I take it this isn't what your talking about?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-jrock View Post
Has any one heard of root magic.If so have you used it. and how can I find the manufacture?
I haven't heard of it either, if you want real root magic go to mycorrhizae.com and buy it direct. great company, we use them for our products
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Beware organic snake oil salesman!! There is so much "organic" junk out there. Everybody is going green, and the charlatans are coming out of the woodwork. I saw a bottle of some brown stuff that promised to work as a liquid aerator, and would take care of "bumpy lawn syndrome", whatever the heck that is. All that for only $39.95 a quart.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
There is so much "organic" junk out there. Everybody is going green, and the charlatans are coming out of the woodwork.
Agreed. Compost Does A Soil Good!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No kidding... and I even get crap out of reputable people I have come to know and trust.

I came across ANOTHER liquid organic fertilizer that was fish based. You open the lid and take a wiff and all you get is a nice minty smell. Took a sample home that the guy let me have to try, sprayed it at the fire house on our weed bed and it didn't smell too bad at first. A few hours later, when my second partner came on shift, and he was asking where the dead fish was on the road. It stunk! So... even if it sounds good, maybe even smells good... be wary of buying products and putting them on peoples yards without trying it first. I have learned this first hand.

The more we search for quality organic lawn care products with our own company the more products fail our standards. And our standards are no higher than what is required to run and operate a successful business. There are a few products that have passed the field test but the cost is prohibitive.

Over the past year and a half everything keeps coming back to a quality compost and compost tea. And that just opens up a whole new issue of finding good quality compost.

I can't wait until next weeks class in FL, this will answer SO MANY questions we have about the program and we will be able to know exactly where we are with the compost issue. I will have some interesting thoughts both during and after the class.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the site that I found the root magic.

the program does not seem that bad.http://www.organiclawnsforamerica.com/ourprogram.aspx
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you see "program" .... RUN!

All you need is compost in most situations. There may be a need for other nutrient adjustments depending on the soil and historical (mis)management, but compost can/should be the backbone of any organic program.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Kiril... however, it depends on how it is presented. I have a "program" for my organic customers but it is more of a base line, this will be done each year, such as x amount of compost, x amount of ct... just a basic base replenishment upkeep type thing. However, the first few years, as most of us know, will require much more than a few light topdressings of compost and CT such as soil adjustments etc etc... but I think you get the idea.

Any programs of this product and that I would keep away from. My compost here and CT there is not any special concoction or magical potion, it is just what I feel a good base of replacing the nutrients used and adding OM to the soil. Nothing the soil couldn't benefit from and or need. As time goes on and the soil becomes more and more sustainable we will begin to cut back on even the compost treatments as the soil will generally be self sustaining.