Register free!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

And another one bites the dust

I was just wanting to start a discussion about the many different products out there from different organic liquid ferts to the different types and varieties of compost.

I picked up a small garden end container of liquid organic fert that goes on the end of your hose. Not only was I soaked by the end of the project, which was mainly due to the design of the bottle, but I was unexpectedly disappointed once again. This product like most other liquid ferts, but not all such as ICT, was fished base and once I heard this I knew the smell would be a problem. Opening the bottle itself and taking a wiff it smelled minty. But after applying, the mint smell quickly disappated and the wrotten fishy smell took precedence. Bottle goes in the trash.

My newest and greatest "bandaid" I guess you could say is a product from the same company that is a chicken litter based fert/compost. This already has a smell of chicken coming from closed bags and cost is about $7.50 per K. Not cheap. But again this is just to get us through the next couple of weeks until we can get something more permanent in place.

Composts have been a fun one. I have had compost that was mainly mulch, compost that was full of glass, compost that smelled to hell, and compost that burnt a few lawns. Compost that is sterile and then the next project, my own personally made compost. The problem here is the labor and cost of production involved which this will be answered in trees class next week.

Any others have stories or thoughts on products, products that don't work or products that do work?

Take it easy and good luck with the organics. I have acknowledged recently that PROPER WATERING is a vital part of organics so don't forget that important step.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

nice....

just wait till you smell my fish product it dont smell!!!!!!!!!and I diy the stuff...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

deep,

i think it's important to share crap products names/brands to warn others if you have issues with them, pay it forward kind of thing, but thats just my feeling about the trash some sell...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well... to be honest, I don't remember the name of the product. And I can't say if it works or not, BUT I can say I won't be waiting to find out. This fish stuff smells so bad I would not only lose my customers but their neighbors, and everyone they talk to, would never consider using my services... ever, I would have to change my name.

I just know that so far, all fish based products stink too bad for me to be putting on my customers lawn. I won't even put it on my own lawn.

The compost's have been of different local varieties. Some I believe were focused more as a potting soil than a topdressing product, and others were local products. Most hear will remember my adventure with the biosludge from the next county over. It was great the first time, and then burnt a few lawns pretty bad the next. Nothing uniform or consistent. I didn't use any of the chicken sh** today but I believe I will use some tomorrow. I will let you guys know.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OH, and just another warning, I have nothing bad to say about Phast's products, Nutrients Plus, I have used it and would still use it. Just make sure to keep it dry. Once it gets wet and stays in the bag for some time it "sours"? I guess is the right word. But then again thats with any fert. Just doesn't have a very pleasant smell to it. So keep it dry and your good.

ICT's products are not classified in my rants as I was and am speaking of more straight ferts. ICT's product didn't smell much at all, it passed my standards, and I generally was happy with the way it worked?

When I am speaking of liquid ferts his product is not what I am talking about. The ones I am speaking of are thick, dark brown sludge... you will know once you open a container if it is one of these products.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
just wait till you smell my fish product it dont smell!!!!!!!!!
Huh... haven't heard that one before...

JK, I trust you tree, I am sure it doesn't smell... I just have had bad experiences with fish based products.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea, Deep!

I'm just starting in the whole lawn care business - mowing, new/refurbing lawns, trying to do organic. Looking for "the niche" to make some additional cha-ching (my kids term). I have seen LOTS of benefits w/ compost topdressing.

Compost experiences:
1st trailer load - $19/cu yd - glorified mulch mixed in w/ trash - local supply
2nd trailer load - $25/cu yd - certified compost - great product - 50 miles away
3rd trailer load - $14/cu yd - city leaf compost - not screened - bad smell
4th & 5th trailer load - certified cow manure compost - $16/cu yd - v. good quality - 75 miles away.

Bottom line - no good local supply - good stuff either too far away or too expensive.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

So with my difficulties finding an economical, quality source of compost, I need to find a interim organic product to get some NPK into my customers yards. I'm going to try some Chickity Doo Doo later this week.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Careful about this thread... remember that landscape needs differ based on several factors.. soil type, soil moisture, climate, pH, soil organic matter content, soil temp, amount of precipitation, etc. etc. etc

Bad smell and glass in compost is pretty safe.... but if you start talking about a product not giving you a good result... you are walking a think line.

What works for one, may not work for another... 123 ICT for example... wasn't for me... but others saw good response with it.

Again bad smell or other things.. list away
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Right JD, and thats what this is suppose to be about. Just bad experiences, and also why I wasn't giving out the names of products. I truly don't remember though...

This is in no way suppose to bash anyone or anything, just talking about the many different products out there, what didn't work and why even in if it was your own personal taste, and then those that do work for you and why.

These smelly liquid ferts may work for some people, if you have a veg. garden off somewhere then feel free to use it, especially the last one I tried, cause for the hour you might be there piddling around it won't smell too bad. I just recommend you apply it as your last step for the day.