Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried compost pellets?
They swell up when the water hits them
I do agree with the fish products...all the ones I have used stunk to high heavens
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Throwing on any organic product is not really a test as to whether it works or not. I am beginning to see that soils will not always respond consistantly with organic additions.

What I mean is that right now I have a problem with a sandy soil that looked ok last summer. It faded in the fall and the compost and Milorganite didn't do much to help so I npk'd it.

This spring looked great and was the first to start greening up and growing. After all the rain I am seeing more and more areas that just don't look as exceptional. I will have to add more c-post and keep trudging, but I think the sand is the biggest problem.

At this point I think that 'organic ferts' will do little to help because more CEC needs to be added for any fert to do well for more than a couple of months.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Throwing on any organic product is not really a test as to whether it works or not. I am beginning to see that soils will not always respond consistantly with organic additions.

What I mean is that right now I have a problem with a sandy soil that looked ok last summer. It faded in the fall and the compost and Milorganite didn't do much to help so I npk'd it.

This spring looked great and was the first to start greening up and growing. After all the rain I am seeing more and more areas that just don't look as exceptional. I will have to add more c-post and keep trudging, but I think the sand is the biggest problem.

At this point I think that 'organic ferts' will do little to help because more CEC needs to be added for any fert to do well for more than a couple of months.
Perhaps it is a low population of microbes due to the hostile sandy environment... This may very well be the perfect application for which to start a CT regimen... !!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Small... it sounds to me that compost is the best thing for the sandy soil. I don't get to mess with sandy soils much but from what I understand water and nutrients just pass right through without anything to hold on to. Compost will be a great addition to all more CEC sites to hold onto the nutrients.

How heavy of compost treatments are you making?

And again, others might not agree... but I believe synthetics have there place and until you can get everything figured out and corrected this sounds like one of those times an NPK treatment wouldn't be out of the question by any means. The important thing is that your not relying on the NPK hole heartedly and are working towards an organic self sustaing soil.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That also brings up another downfall to the liquid ferts is that there is not any OM to speak of. Just additives.

Another disclaimer is that these products that I am trying are only temporary fixes for the most part until we can get our compost situation under control.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use too much fish on lawns anymore, but one way to get the odor down is to add molasses and/or EM in equal parts to the fish.

The minty fish fert is called MultiBloom. We ordered a case to check it out and it came damaged....It didn't smell like mint. I'd compare it to my dog dropping a deuce in the house and you spray an air freshener to cover the smell....But it still smells like crappy freshener and poo.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
That also brings up another downfall to the liquid ferts is that there is not any OM to speak of. Just additives.

Another disclaimer is that these products that I am trying are only temporary fixes for the most part until we can get our compost situation under control.
Most people seem to have pretty good success doing a hybrid organic matter/liquid program.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

soil pH is a factor to consider when looking to add CE sites with OM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

what is CE and CEC?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started a thread on just that called Cec...

Cation Exchange Capacity. A cation exchange site is basically where the soil is able to store nutrients.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274528