Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You did?

Am I missing something ... where are the references & links?

If your source of N is compost ..... what then?
Kiril, you can have this playground. I have more important things to do and don't care to waste time here. Maybe you should go start another argument with Rod and Ric to get your kicks and giggles for the day.

Later bro.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Kiril, you can have this playground. I have more important things to do and don't care to waste time here. Maybe you should go start another argument with Rod and Ric to get your kicks and giggles for the day.

Later bro.
Not looking for an argument, just want you to substantiate your statement. If you can't, then so be it.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot of good points brought up by JD, Deep and others in some of the later posts in this thread. One point I'd like to make and was touched on by smallaxe is "Why are we relying on university studies?" I think one of the reasons why this forum differs from the other side is we're willing to go out and experiment and come to our own conclusions. We don't rely on our "land grant university" to tell us what to do, we get the results ourselves. It's funny JD, you tell others to think outside the box, then you read studies from various sources and fall back inside the box. You're a smart guy, but sometimes I question your logic. I like the custom compost thing you're doing...Great idea....

Now, this spring I took soil samples from a 600 square foot garden. The lawn has had nothing but composted leaves and grass clippings applied for the last 4 years. Soil tests came back and besides being low in sulfur in one section the tests were optimal. Even Boron, which I never see other than LOW in my soil tests came back high? Why? Organic matter. Phosphorus came back a little high and we're adding humates to help unlock the P. We'll test again next year and see how we did. And we'll ask the homeowner how here veggies did in the section that was lacking. We're not dealing with exact sciences here. That's why it's hard to rely on studies, publications, etc. What works for me may not work for you in GA, UT, FL, CA, WI, NJ....I think that's why a certain percentage of LCO's are attracted to organics. It's not a buy a bag of fert or jug of this and you're done....It's a little more work...More of a thinking man's approach.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find studies can be extremely helpful, in that they perform experiments the average LCO has neither the time, money, or knowledge to do.

Now that is not saying you can take a study and run with it just because it is published in a peer reviewed journal ....... BUT it does give you an idea of what to expect given the parameters of experiment are similar to your situation. Some things are more or less universally applicable, others not so much. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can so when faced with problems in the field, you are better prepared to effective deal with it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

compost depending on parent materials, how it was tended,age ete.
will all give different results or should i say available nutes and potential nutes, biology content ete.

say if it is a swine manure mostly compost,perhaps improperly/fast composted and spread on a dormant farm, open area low OM sandy soil and it's the late fall winter with tons of rain, of course there going to be nutes leaching, throwing off soil nute balances depending?
things like that, now if a U studies this site specific scenario of course the out come of the study will be that certain compost apps could cause these issues,

now what does this mean to us and what can we take from it? i think it's obvious.

U studies are important, for us as good gardeners we should take this info and
TAKE WHAT WE NEED and apply it to our knowledge to grow better plants and at the same time try to be environmentally responsible as possible in the process.

balanced truly good cured compost on it's own should contain every thing a plant needs to grow, and grow well, but all compost is not created equal,

my area, sandy soil, low OM, putting down 1/4" of yard post will not be enough to support good growth through out the season for a lawn, situation like this would require multiple apps of a balanced quality post to sustain good growth, all depending on existing conditions and quality of inputs being applied. it is not a black and white issue, like natty said, what works for me might not work for you, but there are many things still the same.

like some have said,self study, watching/observing,smelling,experimenting,always willing to learn new things using good judgment and experience is what helps separates us from the type that could careless.
use U studies,books,Internet,others ete, it all helps get a better picture of the end goal, being a good gardener